• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Awards for 20 - 26 August

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Congratulations to the following:

Not heard from Manju this week.

The CW Awards Team

alternative (Milestones)
Richard (Sir Geoffrey, Inzamam, Saj, Sobers & Bradman)
archie mac (Warne & Gatting-v-Rana)
adharcric (Afridi & Hussey)
oz_fan (Tony Greig & Marsh-Lillee)
Prince EWS (Jimmy Adams & Agarkar/Mohammed)
HeathDavisSpeed (FIAB)
DCC_legend (Skull)

If you are celebrating a “posts milestone” and would like a mention please contact Manju (alternative) at hunterbhai at hotmail dot com. All Awards nominations to be sent to cwawards@cricketmail.net

I'd like to introduce another Award, the Jeff Thomson Award for "whooooooooosh", but it won't be possible unless someone volunteers to judge it. Big welcome this week to Ethan (DCC_legend) who has kindly volunteered to judge the Skull. Don’t judge the panel by face-value this week, either, lots of skipping around – I picked the Afridi, Sean (archie) the Inzy, and had help from an unnamed source with the Saj. No word from Rob (Prince) for the 2nd week running, come on mate, sort it out, please!

Best Of The Best

The Shahid Afridi Award (Best post of the week)
Like an innings by the great man, it does not have to be very long to be great viewing.
And the Winner is: archie mac (with a bit of help from the boss) for this, a top-quality article.

The Shane Warne Award (Best thread of the week)
Like his bowling it must be interesting, but just like his private life it can also be controversial.
And the Winner is: BhupinderSingh for this, missed-out some great names, but the thread’s generated good discussion despite and possibly even because of this.

The Skull Award (Funniest post of the week)
Just like the king of the one liner Kerry O’Keefe, can also be serious.
And the Winner is: BoyBrumby for this. Brumbers’ Skull collection gains another addition now there’s someone to give ‘em to him again.

The Sobers Award (Most varied poster of the week)
The true all-rounder of CW, you must be able to contribute to a number of threads.
And the Winner is: Perm, yep, it’s that man again. Just can’t keep him quiet for long.

The Tony Greig Award (Worst prediction of the week)
Will he ever live down that “I intend to make them grovel” prediction re- the West Indies in ‘76?
And the Winner is: Raghav for this, with special mention to adharcric for this. *Sigh* some people just never learn, do they?

The Inzamam Award (Vaguest post of the week)
We are not sure what he is talking about, but we hope he knows.
And the Winner is: SJS for this, rogue and missing “s”s can do strange things…

The Sir Geoffrey Award (Most knowledgeable poster of the week)
We were going to call this the Richie Benaud award, but after speaking to Boycs, he assured us he knew twice as much as Richie.
And the Winner is: SJS, how glad we all are I’m sure to have him back.

The Bradman Award (Overall CW poster of the week)
Simply the best no matter what the debate or criteria.
And the Winner is: no Award this week.

The Agarkar/Mohammed Award ('At least they’re trying' award)
Just like the players this award is named after, they may not be quite good enough for any other award, but at least we remember them.
And the Winner is: :unsure:

The Gatting-vs-Rana Award (Best debate of the week)
And the Winners are: Raghav and silentstriker for this, takes a lot to rile our silentstriker, too… :ph34r:

The Saj Award (Best rant of the week)
Following Saj's outburst after the Third Ashes Test 2006\07, and no Saj, we didn't know what you were doing out there either, it was a sad indictment on the quality of our reserves.
And the Winner is: silentstriker for this, pretty much as-above.

The Marsh-Lillee Award (Best prediction of the week)
They took 500/1 against England winning after following-on, and won, um lost.
And the Winner is: no Award this week.

The Jimmy Adams Award (Best stating-the-obvious post of the week)
After Jimmy's commentary performance with Sky on the England-West Indies series in 2007, where he repeatedly offered a perfect description of exactly what we'd just seen on the screen.
And the Winner is: :unsure:

The FIAB Award (Most random and completely out-of-place post of the week)
Just like Paul "Frog In A Blender" Adams, very bizarre and invoking the sentiments "haha, what on Earth?"
And the Winner is: Dasa for this, made sense to me, but I know the mysterious ways of Mr Arunava Das. :ph34r:

Please remember, these Awards are not officially endorsed by CW management :)

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congratulations to the winners and thanks to the awards team. Particularly delighted to add another Sobers to my list of awards.

adharcric

International Coach
I'll be stepping down from the panel for now. Given that I have far too much on my plate already, my selections are starting to lose credibility and my interest is dwindling for various reasons. I will try to stay involved in CW but there is no way I can hope to read through the vast majority of CC on a regular basis. Good luck to the rest of you.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I'll be stepping down from the panel for now. Given that I have far too much on my plate already, my selections are starting to lose credibility and my interest is dwindling for various reasons. I will try to stay involved in CW but there is no way I can hope to read through the vast majority of CC on a regular basis. Good luck to the rest of you.
I am sure Richard will have something nice to say, but just from me: thanks for all of the help, I think we would have gone down a couple of times if not for your contribution:)

Last edited:

Perm

You've done an excellent job. Sad to see you step down, but it's probably for the best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, great shame to see you leave Akhil. :( I hope you might be able to rejoin us someday, your contributions down the years as Sean said have been huge and have kept credibility for the Awards where otherwise it might have been lost.

I don't know, but I think it's time to put this to the poll. For a month or so at least now the Awards have been becoming, from where I'm standing, less and less popular. I have no intention of allowing them to be retired perminantly, but it may be that we have to take a break sometime soon. I can't really be picking 6 or 7 Awards, it takes enough of my time doing the Sobers, Boycs and posting the thread, so unless we get someone else willing to take over Akhil's role, as I say, we're going to have to take a hiatus.

If someone would be interesting in picking the Afridi and Hussey, let me know as soon as you possibly can - if I get a prompt candidate, we can probably carry on as normal.

pasag

RTDAS
I was going to post the exact same thing re: the break. I think it's a good idea to rest it for a couple of months and start it up again with a new look team later in the year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope Heath, Sean and Blake will be interested in resuming their roles if so, as they've always attacked their duties with great relish and it'd be a great shame if they were lost just because of a hiatus.

And spare a thought for Ethan - he's been on the panel for a week and already we're talking about suspending the operation. :wacko:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I reckon doing an update of the thread saying who's won what cumulatively, and then leave it at that for a couple of months is a good idea.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Alright guys congratulations to all the winners (HB Style).

OK, now i will be stepping down from th panel too as i have major reports and thesis to write soon, i won't have the time to dedicate to the forum as much as i would have like to. As adharcric mentioned in one of his earlier posts, i will also try to stick around the forums but goodluck all.

HeathDavisSpeed

As of now I will be stepping down to concentrate on running the Greater Democratic Republic of the High Overlord Heath Davis. Running a country takes a fair whack of my time. Plus I have recently come down with a dose of the Equine Flu and the haemorrhoid cream isn't doing a thing for it.

oz_fan

International Regular
Congrats to all winners on what looks like being the last CW awards for a while. I was going to have to step down for a few weeks as well as I've got a fair few tests coming up and just haven't had as much time to go through the threads and find worthy winners. In a few months though if the awards make a comeback I'll be happy to help out. Thanks to archie for coming up with the idea and running the awards team for so long and also to Richard for continuing it on over the last few weeks. Adharcric should be congragulated as well as he has helped out since the beginning.