• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jaques/Rogers ?

iamdavid

International Debutant
I know its still a good three and a half months until we find out, but no harm in debating it now.

Who in your opinion is better equipped, out of the two obvious candidates, to open the batting for Australia in Langer's place.

My take on the two of them is that Jaques is a far more daring, unorthodox, attacking sort of player. Plenty of shots up his sleeve and seems very keen on taking the attack to the opposition, but perhaps not the most watertight technique or solid defensive game. Reminds me alot of Gilchrist watching him bat, while he is capable of being a very destructive player he is prone to bouts of inconsistency as we've already seen throughout his domestic career.

Rogers seems a far more balanced, orthodox, technically correct sort of player. Not inclined to being overly aggresive from the outset like Jaques, a more traditional opening batsman who seems to work harder for his runs. And while he isnt technically perfect (I remember him having trouble in Pura Cup cricket a few years ago going extremely hard at the ball outside off stump, which he appears to have corrected nowdays), he looks a more solid, consistent batsman if a less spectacular one.

In county cricket so far this season Jaques has scored 2 hundreds but has only 500-odd runs at 31 from his 10 games, indicates trademark inconsistency. While Rogers has been equally unconvincing with 402 @ 30 in his 8 games.

All considered I think Rogers has a game more suited to test cricket and he is going to be the more stable long term option, however Jaques aggresive gameplan is more in tune with Australia's modern approach and he has the benefit of having already played international cricket.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Rogers has had a pretty poor season for Northants this year, Jacques on the other hand, smashed English bowling around a bit, Jacques for mine.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Big fan of Jaques, not the greatest on the eye but he is so effective and could easily make the grade at test level for mine.

I've not seen much of Rogers but his does have the benefit of calling home, two very flat wickets.

JBMAC

State Captain
Unless they both score some runs in the domestic season early......It will be Watson..God forbid

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've been hoping it'll be Hussey since hearing of Langer's retirement.

Jaques, TBF, has until very recently (was decidedly average in 2006\07 and has been equally so in 2007) struck me as a bit special. As David said he's hardly orthodox, but had managed to score heaps of runs in both England and Australia nonetheless. Rogers, on the other hand, played for my club side back in 2002 and looked anything but an international player - if you'd told anyone back then that he'd ever be in serious contention for a Test place the lot of us - him included - would have laughed at you. In recent times before 2007, though, he's gone crazily well. Is a short good spell enough to overlook a reasonably lengthy career of being nothing other than a decent Pura Cup batsman?

Hussey, on the other hand, is unless I'm much mistaken a proven opener and proven Test player, and what's more a ready-made replacement with a strong case (Hodge) awaits to take the vacated spot in the middle-order - what more could you want?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I concur.
Hussey for the opening spot, Hodge into the middle order.

It's hard to choose between the 2 names mentioned though, I've seen way more of Jaques then Rogers who I've watched him mainly in one dayers and he's just an average (at best) performer in the short game.

I think if the selectors had a choice between the pair they'd go for Jaques.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think Jaques will still be seen as the "incumbent", as such, by selectors, and Rogers will have to displace him between now and the first test with performances.

He's pretty highly rated though, Rogers. Seen as a real fighter who knows his game very well.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really don't understand the calls for Hussey to be promoted to opener. He's been averaging something stupid in the middle order, and it now looks stronger than ever, and I don't see why anyone would want to change that.

Perm

Really don't understand the calls for Hussey to be promoted to opener. He's been averaging something stupid in the middle order, and it now looks stronger than ever, and I don't see why anyone would want to change that.
Because Hodge>Jaques/Rogers as a batsman, and possibly by enough to make up for the move from the middle order to opening for Hussey. I'm not of the opinion that Hussey should be opening, but I can certainly see the argument for it.

irfan

State Captain
Rather Jaques than Hodge personally. Looks to be a more talented and younger prospect and I'll back him to score more regularly than Hodge.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If it was Hayden that had gone and Langer was still there, I'd have thought Jaques a shoe-in. I still though he was tbh until the summer he's had which has left the door open for a bolter if neither he nor Rogers start the season well.

I still think Rogers has had a much worse summer than Jaques. To start, Jaques is in division 1 and Rogers division 2 and there are better bowlers in division 1 (I think there's less difference in batting). Also, Jaques has been playing at Worcestershire who have had an absolute nightmare with the weather and the pitches and the floods, whereas Northants is much better for batting.

Therefore, I would say Jaques is currently ahead of Rogers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because he's also averaged something stupid as an opener (albeit in just 2 games) and there's no reason to think an opener wouldn't also excel opening the batting.

Hodge, therefore, has IMO a more compelling case than Rogers or Jacques, given that he was unlucky to be left-out ITFP when he was. Not to mention that his recent performances are considerably stronger.

howardj

International Coach
Because he's also averaged something stupid as an opener (albeit in just 2 games) and there's no reason to think an opener wouldn't also excel opening the batting.

Hodge, therefore, has IMO a more compelling case than Rogers or Jacques, given that he was unlucky to be left-out ITFP when he was. Not to mention that his recent performances are considerably stronger.
Mate, in six digs for Australia as opener, Hussey has only passed 40 once. Furthermore, his record for WA as an opener was, at best, only solid - not outstanding. By contrast, he is an absolute colossis in the middle order. To move him would be crazy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If it was Hayden that had gone and Langer was still there, I'd have thought Jaques a shoe-in. I still though he was tbh until the summer he's had which has left the door open for a bolter if neither he nor Rogers start the season well.

I still think Rogers has had a much worse summer than Jaques. To start, Jaques is in division 1 and Rogers division 2 and there are better bowlers in division 1 (I think there's less difference in batting). Also, Jaques has been playing at Worcestershire who have had an absolute nightmare with the weather and the pitches and the floods, whereas Northants is much better for batting.

Therefore, I would say Jaques is currently ahead of Rogers.
Selectors will care more about 2 Pura Cup matches at the start of the season then an entire English 'winter' in county cricket.

Perm

Mate, in six digs for Australia as opener, Hussey has only passed 40 once. Furthermore, his record for WA as an opener was, at best, only solid - not outstanding. By contrast, he is an absolute colossis in the middle order. To move him would be crazy.
He opened in two Tests against the West Indies and had scores of 1,29,137 and 31*. Furthermore, he opened against South Africa and scored 89. Two scores above 40 with an average of 71.75, and I can safely assume that Richard isn't counting his two Tests opening the batting against Bangladesh. Brilliant numbers for a guy that has spent most of his domestic career as an opener IIRC, certainly a compelling case for him to be pushed up and Hodge come in at #4 and something I hope the selectors consider.

Perm

Selectors will care more about 2 Pura Cup matches at the start of the season then an entire English 'winter' in county cricket.
I don't think two matches can make up for an entire season of poor form, but the selectors certainly value the Pura Cup much more than County Cricket.