• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - Australia's next Skipper??

Bodyline

Cricket Spectator
Hi Cricket heads!!

I think Clarkey will take over from Punter around 2010.
For a kid he has a good head on his shoulders and obvious allround skills.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Toph

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Welcome onboard, mate. Hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

I'd say he's got every chance. Punter's probably got about 5 years left in him (32 as of now I think), so obviously a lot of the other Oz regulars are going to be too old for the job when he does finally call it a day. You can rule out Hayden, Gilly & Hussey on basis of age &, of the younger players, Clarke's the most established in the team.

Would Jaques be a possibility (assuming he replaces Langer as opener)?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would Jaques be a possibility (assuming he replaces Langer as opener)?
Probably not. Katich, Clarke and Haddin are all ahead of him in the captaincy stakes for NSW I think, so unless he develops a load of new skills in a fairly short space of time, I think we can count him out.

Bodyline

Cricket Spectator
So is Warney a German Yet??

Von Slauten hagen Warney!!!

Hail the great man :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

adharcric

International Coach
Clarke certainly has a strong chance to succeed Ponting. Jaques has fielding issues, no? Clarke captain, Haddin vice captain for the future, as of now. Of course, things may change quite a bit.

Perm

He might not even be guaranteed a opening place, Rogers and him are neck and neck atm.
I'd say Jaques is ahead, but they have both had very poor season in County Cricket so it will probably come down to whoever has a better start to the Pura Cup. In 5 years time I'm almost certain (barring a disaster) that Jaques will be opening for Australia, as Hayden should be long gone by then.

Perm

Clarke certainly has a strong chance to succeed Ponting. Jaques has fielding issues, no? Clarke captain, Haddin vice captain for the future, as of now. Of course, things may change quite a bit.
Yeah, Jaques is quite slow in the field and that has counted against him in the selectors eyes, especially when it comes to ODI selection. I wouldn't mind seeing Brett Lee given a chance TBH, he seems fairly clued up as to what is happening on the field and definately gives 100% whether it be batting, bowling or fielding.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Fast bowler as captain?? Heresy! ;)

Hussey also seems to be in the frame, although its not at all clear that he'll play much longer than Ponting. If Ponting went and no-one was yet considered ready, he might get the gig for a year or two however.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Watson is probably Clarke biggest threat for the captaincy. His already been vice captain of Tasmania, vice captain of Australia A (under Clarke though) and vice captain of Australian Under 19s (again under Clarke). Unless Mosies really comes a long both Watson and Clarke are likely to be captain and vice captain. But i wouldn't rule out Watson captain and Clarke vice captain. It just really depends on who develops the most by then. Cameron White is the other option, but has to develop his game a bit more to make the side first.

Perm

Fast bowler as captain?? Heresy! ;)
I'm not usually too keen on the idea, but IMO Lee would make a fairly good skipper, possibly an even better vice-captain, somebody who is seem to be putting his heart into everything he does.

Johnners

TBH i'd say Lee will have his hands full fighting off whoever out of Tait, Johnson & Hilfenhaus doesn't take the spot left Vacant by McGrath. Aside from that, he's only a year or 2 younger than Punter so i doubt he'll be our next captain.

Clarke has long been annointed as a future captain of the Australia Cricket team, and i expect that he will be our next Captain. He's captained at every level he's played, and imo is a natural leader (not to mention the fact he's a gun bat [/bias]). As Brumby said, Gilly, Hussey, Haydos & as i mentioned above, Lee, can all be ruled out on an age basis.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Watson is probably Clarke biggest threat for the captaincy. His already been vice captain of Tasmania, vice captain of Australia A (under Clarke though) and vice captain of Australian Under 19s (again under Clarke). Unless Mosies really comes a long both Watson and Clarke are likely to be captain and vice captain. But i wouldn't rule out Watson captain and Clarke vice captain. It just really depends on who develops the most by then. Cameron White is the other option, but has to develop his game a bit more to make the side first.

Watson wants to open the batting in the short term at least. I don't think that he will be captain as it will put too much pressure on him (with his bowling and batting). Much like Gilchrist wouldn't ever be given the job long term. Too much pressure on the one bloke.

howardj

International Coach
Clarke will, form permitting, definitely be our next long-term Test skipper.

Regarding Watson, I don't think he has the temperament for it.

He seems somewhat self-absorbed.