• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan still ready for ODI call

stumpski

International Captain
Well, optimistic, but all he's doing is letting the selectors know he's available. Hard to see him getting another chance, but he did sign off at the World Cup with a superb innings against West Indies, and he's played some good OD knocks for Yorkshire in the past. But why would you go back to a 32-year-old with a mediocre record and a dodgy knee?

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Well, optimistic, but all he's doing is letting the selectors know he's available. Hard to see him getting another chance, but he did sign off at the World Cup with a superb innings against West Indies, and he's played some good OD knocks for Yorkshire in the past. But why would you go back to a 32-year-old with a mediocre record and a dodgy knee?
What identity does he underatke when they pick the Test squad? :dry:

Either way, I'll act like Richard on this one and use his criteria (which I don't really like). But MPV is one of those players who have played enough ODIs for me to know that he isn't up to scratch in that form of the game. He's had the best opportunities (except being able to garner average boosting not-outs) considering that I can't recall him batting lower than 4.

Also, with the return of Flintoff, which alters England's composition, there are other batters who warrant a place in the team more than Vaughan. Bopara, Shah, Mascarenhas and other fringe players should be ahead of Vaughan (please bare in mind that this list of players is written with the fact that if England want to tinker around with their bowling line up, these players will be made dispensable).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My thoughts exactly. I hope Vaughan wasn't trying to big his case up too much, rather just emphasising that he's still there if they want him.

As I pretty much said in my final paragraph, I think it'd be much better really for him to just concentrate on doing what, at last, he's back to doing well - scoring Test runs and leading a Test side. I think the distraction of ODIs being out of the way will do him good, and the will-he-won't-he of him (and Strauss) will do the ODI side good.

If, of course, they can avoid someone else of the exact same nature coming in.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Umm... a 32-year-old with a very fine record? :unsure:
Thank you for vallidating my point. :)

(And Rich if you don't get it. The OP said that this was a reason not to select him, but he gets selectected for the Tests as a 32 y.o. with a bunged patela)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thank you for vallidating my point. :)

(And Rich if you don't get it. The OP said that this was a reason not to select him, but he gets selectected for the Tests as a 32 y.o. with a bunged patela)
There are 2 reasons not to select Vaughan in ODIs for me - the fact that he won't be around in 2011, and the fact that he has never been very good at one-day cricket - for Yorks, for England A, for England, for whoever. As I said in my article, his domestic-one-day average when selected was 26. He should never, ever have been anywhere near a ODI side.

However, his record in the longer form for Yorks is and always has been much better, and his Test record equally.

stumpski

International Captain
Isn't it the case though that you need to be a lot more mobile to play in one-dayers? In Tests he can get away with standing at slip all day, he doesn't have to chase - so he'll get selected even if not 100% fit.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Isn't it the case though that you need to be a lot more mobile to play in one-dayers? In Tests he can get away with standing at slip all day, he doesn't have to chase - so he'll get selected even if not 100% fit.
Possibly. But then again 5 days v 1 day?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yea, that too. Fielding, not only batting, is better suited to the short form.

Mind, the thought of Vaughan at slip worries me deeply. :mellow:
Possibly. But then again 5 days v 1 day?
Of which, hopefully, half or so will be spent with the feet up.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He should never get picked again, even in the highly unlikely case he averages 70+ for a couple of seasons. A very mediocre ODI player who should never have been selected in the first place, and as Richard says, I hope his exclusion of ODI cricket should help him concentrate more on Test cricket, which is both more important and the stronger format for Vaughan.