• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the greatest left handed batsman of alltime?

Who do you think is the greatest left handed batsman of alltime?

• Total voters
Personally,I think its between Lara & Sobers because I think others like Pollock,Hayden,Gower etc don't even come close to these two.But I've voted for Lara as I myself saw him destroying some of the best bowling lineups of the world during my lifetime.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally,I think its between Lara & Pollock because I think others like Pollock,Hayden,Gower etc don't even come close to these two.But I've voted for Lara as I myself saw him destroying some of the best bowling lineups of the world during my lifetime.
I think one of your two mentions of "Pollock" should say "Sobers". I'm assuming it's the first one. I'd also argue that there are a number of players - Harvey, Lloyd, Morris, Woolley and Hill for example, who could argue for a spot ahead of one or two of the blokes mentioned there.

FWIW, I voted Sobers.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Garfield Sobers.

I say this without any hesitation having seen all of the above except Pollock.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sobers, easily. Maybe if Pollock had more of an opportunity to play Test cricket then he would be ranked above Sobers, but unfortunately he did not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Quite possibly might have been Pollock (as Ritchie [that's Perm] said) had he had more chance.

As it is, Sobers it has to be. Very possibly the 2nd-greatest West Indian batsman of all-time in fact, after Sir George Headley.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Sobers batting lower down the order (generally) made hay while the upper batsmen Kanhai, Lloyd et al flayed the bowling.

Lara assumed a far greater burden on his shoulders. IMO, his performances could have been greater had he a modicum of batting support from the other end.

Lean towards Lara over Sobers, barely.