• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are Sturt

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sturt are a club side here in Adelaide. They're somewhere near the bottom of the table this year too, though there are a couple of really young very quick bowlers in the ranks.

Don't feel bad. Some of our club sides would give a lot of County sides a good run.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
if sydney grade sides were at full strength they would smash english county sides, esp mosman if you could acktar

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
if sydney grade sides were at full strength they would smash english county sides, esp mosman if you could acktar
Hahahaha but here's a poser...would the beat Lashings? :lol: :lol: :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
OK then, name the full strength sides of the best 10 Sydney Grade sides then - there's no way more than 1 or 2 could beat, let alone smash, County sides.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well i obviously dont know all of them but i will go through the stars of each team

Mosman:
S Lee
B Lee
S Acktar

Canterbury
M Waugh
S Waugh
Paul Maraziotis
Corey Richards

Randwick Petersham
S Katich

Manly-Warringah
M Bevan
Bradstreet
M Phelps

Fairfield-Liverpool
Doug Bollinger
Jason Krejza
Grant Lambert
Don Nash

North Sydney
Aaron Bird

Sutherland
S Clarke
G McGrath
P Jaques

Wests
M Clarke
S Phillips

St George
S Macgill
N Pilon

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
ofcourse you probably have not heard of a few of those players but they are all good, those are some of the ones on NSw contracts

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
ofcourse you probably have not heard of a few of those players but they are all good, those are some of the ones on NSw contracts
I don't think they would give English Counties much of a game even with the Waughs or players like that...other than perhaps Durham who have the talent just need to perform...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
need i remind you of how australian players go when they lay county cricket, they do have other good players as well, but you would not know them

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
need i remind you of how australian players go when they lay county cricket, they do have other good players as well, but you would not know them
I am perfectly aware of that. It's just that just because a player is English doesn't mean they are rubbish automatically and just because they are Australian means that they are very good. England has some superb young players and good county players, just like Australia has.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but england cant produce a consistantly good county side - look at yorks, they got smashed this tyear cause all their players were never availiable, whereas the aussie state sides are still strong without their best players, what do you think the result of a full strength game NSW vs Surrey or Yorks would be - i mean NSW hammered Eng in a OD game already this year

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
yeah but england cant produce a consistantly good county side - look at yorks, they got smashed this tyear cause all their players were never availiable, whereas the aussie state sides are still strong without their best players, what do you think the result of a full strength game NSW vs Surrey or Yorks would be - i mean NSW hammered Eng in a OD game already this year
Surrey, at full strength would be a match for that New South Wales side. Yorkshire had a lot of injuries. English county cricket is not weak. Just look at some of the bowlers we have left in the county game...Saggers average 22, Dean average 24, Kirtley average 24...not bad eh? And what about a few Batsmen in Troughton average 48, Ali Brown average 44, Nick Knight average 41...yeah let's see one of your grade sides beat Surrey :lol:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
dont foget that county averages dont meanth e same thing as Aussie domestic averages, but i reakon Bankstown, sutherland, Mosman or well i think another team migh be on top atm as well :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
well i obviously dont know all of them but i will go through the stars of each team

(long list removed for sanity of other members)

You named at most 4 players per side - OK some of them will be better than the County players, but Cricket is an 11 a side game, and the counties would overall be stronger than those grade sides.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
On the other hand, there's lots of good county players you won't have heard of - it's obviously going to be like that as we're 10000 miles away from each other!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
dont foget that county averages dont meanth e same thing as Aussie domestic averages, but i reakon Bankstown, sutherland, Mosman or well i think another team migh be on top atm as well :P
How can you say that they don't mean the same thing? You can only play against what your given as opposition. I really really doubt a grade side would beat an English county. Of course there is no proof that they would, but then there is no proof! If Australia had such great strength in depth...then England wouldn't have won the Test. The Australian comp is strong but the whole "we are way better than you" thing is a bit unfounded.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I disagree with the aussies, your grade teams would not live with English Counties, FFS you dont have an National competition until you do you can find out who is the best in Australia and play Yorkshire,surrey

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
I disagree with the aussies, your grade teams would not live with English Counties, FFS you dont have an National competition until you do you can find out who is the best in Australia and play Yorkshire,surrey
Well I wouldn't put it that way. I would say that we haven't seen the Aussie players and they haven't seen all the English players. But since all the English county players are professional Cricketers who are paid and who spend nearly all year playing and training, it would take a lot for an Australian 1st Grade part time side to win.