• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test squad to tour Sri Lanka

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think Rashid 'batting' and so called potential will book him the 2nd spinner spot without a fight. I can't see anyone be it Keedy or Swann comming close to selection. Maybe Chris Schofield if he has a gun Twenty20 WC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, wondered if I'd attact comment from you with that. :p

Sorry, it's always been and always will be a bugbear of mine. I'm not gonna cease to point it out.
And the fact that it's a bugbear of some people has always been and always will be a bugbear of mine. I'm not gonna cease to point it out.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can't believe everyone thinks so highly of Swann here. I agree with Rob here, Keedy is by far miles ahead of anyone else after Panesar and Rashid.

I have to say that as much as I like Rashid and think he is going to be a big matchwinner in the future for us if he continues to develop, I'm concerned about the amount of runs he sheds. If someone experienced that Sangakkara or Jayawardene gets after him properly, it could be carnage and destroy his confidence. Not that I like the safely, safely approach, just I think he might be a liability at times.
Rashid is taking a fair few wickets while going for runs in County Cricket, yes?

So it would say to me that he wouldn't be all that flustered by being taken to by a Sanga or Jaya. If anything, it would help prepare him even more for the times that he gets taken to.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think Rashid 'batting' and so called potential will book him the 2nd spinner spot without a fight. I can't see anyone be it Keedy or Swann comming close to selection. Maybe Chris Schofield if he has a gun Twenty20 WC.
Naar, think he has an almost Bradmanesque average in FC cricket this season, something in the high 60's lol.
Rashid is a superior bowler and on par with Schofield as a batsman plus he's what at least 8 years younger, if they do take a gamble it will be Rashid.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't call Rashid a gamble when you look at the other options, just a best of a poor bunch really. Also i only mentioned Schofield as International wickets even at Twenty20 level will probably mean more then being mediocre at FC level.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
It's the angle of the camera - the same principle as bowlers looking a lot slower on TV than in real life, when sometimes you can barely see the ball.

Richard, I know you like fighting difficult arguments to win, but I can't see how you can rate Keedy as Swann's equal or worse, given his consistent record over such a long period of time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Where've I said I rate Swann > Keedy? Swann hasn't ever really totally convinced me, and I think it was a terrible career move on his part to leave Northants. In trying to prove the impossible - that a fingerspinner can have success without friendly wickets - he's just wasted the chance to use what he had to gain what success he could have.

As I said earlier:
Nonetheless, poor spinner with poor figures < poor spinner with good figures.
Keedy should be the second name on the sheet, and who knows, he may yet prove useful on a turning wicket. What has always baffled me, though, as I say, is how he gets such good figures on an Old Trafford square that's not really all that renowned of late as a spin paradise.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
England may be better off taking 3 spinners for the Test series and playing 2 spinners in each Test .....would England selectors be bold enough to make a selection like that ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is, though, if I have the choice between a Ryan Sidebottom or Chris Tremlett, both of whom could very easily be wholly lacking in penetration, and a Gareth Batty \ Richard Dawson bowler, I'd have the seamer who has a good chance of offering control.

There's no point picking a spinner just because he's a spinner. You pick bowlers who can do you your best job. If a spinner is not good enough to take the wickets, pick a seamer who can bowl with accuracy in long spells.