• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI Batsmen Not To Score A Ton

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I was going to post this when Bell was batting yesterday and went to sleep to think about it (not saying prior to yesterday that he was the best ODI batsmen not to score a tom; talented though).

Thinking about it, it seems rather hard to pick a decent bat who hasn't scored a hundred.

Pollock*
Botham
Healy
Parore

*Technically it was an ODI

As you can see, the list thus far isn't full of names that would normally be associated with such a topic, but I'm finding it hard to find someone who has played a decent amount of ODIs, was a decent bat who hasn't reached three figures. Also considering the very nature of ODIs, these players probably didn't score a 100 due to their position of batting rather than anything else.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Michael Slater never scored an ODI ton in his 42 matches - his highest score was 73, and amazingly his strike rate was only 60.

Slats' failure to light up the shorter game remains one of the great mysteries of 1990s cricket for me.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I've watched enough ODI's when NZ are playing and McCullum while I admit is talented has done bugger all in that format, his record proves this and so wouldn't even come close to being the best batsmen without a hundred.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've watched enough ODI's when NZ are playing and McCullum while I admit is talented has done bugger all in that format, his record proves this and so wouldn't even come close to being the best batsmen without a hundred.
Other than win a number of games for the Black Caps? Given the fact that he has played over 80% of his innings at #6 or lower averaging 25.48 at a pretty good strike rate, he has done pretty well for himself IMO. He plays a role within a side and does it quite effectively at times. He is probably not the best batsmen without a hundred, but he deserves to be mentioned.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I was going to post this when Bell was batting yesterday and went to sleep to think about it (not saying prior to yesterday that he was the best ODI batsmen not to score a tom; talented though).

Thinking about it, it seems rather hard to pick a decent bat who hasn't scored a hundred.

Pollock*
Botham
Healy
Parore

*Technically it was an ODI

As you can see, the list thus far isn't full of names that would normally be associated with such a topic, but I'm finding it hard to find someone who has played a decent amount of ODIs, was a decent bat who hasn't reached three figures. Also considering the very nature of ODIs, these players probably didn't score a 100 due to their position of batting rather than anything else.
Parore made an ODI hundred against RSA, if I recall correctly.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Brendon McCullum would surely be worth a shout.
Hardly. What's he even done in domestic one-day cricket? Highest score of 56? Good finisher, but he's unlikely to score an ODI ton any time soon given how poor he's been up the order.

JBMAC

State Captain
Interesting Question

Check Howstats just for the Aussies somewhat surprised at some.These I thought might prove interesting.

John DYSON 29matches H/S 79 ODI Avg. 32.83
Brad HADDIN 21mat H/S 70 25.94
Brad HOGG 106mat H/s 71 21.36
David HOOKES 39mat H/S 76 24.29
Kim HUGHES 97mat H/S 98 24.00
Jimmy MAHER 26mat H/S 95 25.76
Rod MARSH 92 mat H/S 66 20.08
Rick McCOSKER 14mat H/S 95 22.86
Tom MOODY 76mat H/S 89 23.29
Simon O'DONNELL 87mat H/S 74* 25.35
Wayne PHILLIPS 48mat H/S 75* 25.34
Greg RITCHIE 44mat H/S 84..................27.40
Michael VELLETTA 20mat...H/S 68*.................32.27
Doug WALTERS 28mat.....H/S 59...................28.50
Shane WATSON 65mat......H/S 79...................34.52
Dirk WELLHAM 17 mat......H/S 97....................25.27
Graham YALLOP 30mat.....H/S 66*...................39.19
These are just a few Some household name in Aussie Cricket here

Perm

Hardly. What's he even done in domestic one-day cricket? Highest score of 56? Good finisher, but he's unlikely to score an ODI ton any time soon given how poor he's been up the order.
The question wasn't about who was likely to score an ODI century, but asking who are the best ODI batsman who haven't scored one. Now McCullum isn't one of the best, I admit, but I was just tossing his name out there as a candidate. He's a poor domestic performer for Canterbury, I agree, but has performed well for New Zealand when we have needed him.

Perm

Andrew Jones
Jimmy Adams
Mudassar Nazar

Some more potential candidates.