• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ A to tour australia

brockley

International Captain
Wright to lead second string
22:53 - 21 August 2007

John Wright's first task back in New Zealand Cricket (NZC) will be to lead the country's second string on tour to Australia.

Former Kent and India coach Wright begins work with the NZC in a special projects role next week, with part of that brief covering high performance.

"I don't want to simply make up the numbers, I want to try to help," he said. "I don't know whether I'll be any good or not, but I think if I didn't try to help at some stage I'd regret it."

He added: "I'm a New Zealander first and foremost and this is where my heart's at."

The one-time Black Caps opener will coach the New Zealand A team on its second trip to Queensland this year - the first ended in defeat in the final of the Emerging Players Tournament in Brisbane last month.

Wright, 53, who played in 83 Tests for his country, is now keen to give back what he gained from the sport in New Zealand.

Talking to the New Zealand Herald, NZC chief executive Justin Vaughan added: "I know people are trying to pin us down with a job description, but he hasn't been involved in New Zealand cricket for such a long time it's going to take time to get up to speed."

The job probably indicates Wright has been overlooked for the Black Caps' selection panel, which will be announced later this week.

brockley

International Captain
The tour will take part in october before the NZ season,and NZ A will play the state sides,no itinnery released yet.