• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid - Defensive Captain

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
The fact that you can't have a normal conversation, without downign someone, shows that you are being a bit of a **silly billy**, moderator or not, you don't have to take such an aggressive approach, chill out it's the internet.
Sorry, i didn't mean it offensively if anything I said it in jest, as hard as that is to believe. Sorry if any offense was taken :)

My name isnt random letters either, read it "upside down"

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm not a fan of defensive captaincy exactly, but there are times when it is beneficial and there are teams within which it will work better than aggressive captaincy as a whole. The key to captaincy though, IMO, is to know when to be aggressive and when to be defensive. There seems to be a mindset existing within many people that suggests you must always be aggressive, always attack - and it isn't right. Good captaincy is about getting the balance right.
I got u the first time mate.... I was juz kidding. :)

pasag

RTDAS
Prince would have given anything to see Gavaskar's 36 I reckon. Would have made his life :p

Oh come on MSN for a sec btw Prince.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So what? Defensive captaincy can be effective. There is no intrinsic law that says aggressive > defensive.
I'm not a fan of defensive captaincy exactly, but there are times when it is beneficial and there are teams within which it will work better than aggressive captaincy as a whole. The key to captaincy though, IMO, is to know when to be aggressive and when to be defensive. There seems to be a mindset existing within many people that suggests you must always be aggressive, always attack - and it isn't right. Good captaincy is about getting the balance right.
Abso-bloody-lutely. Aggressive can be right, it can be wrong; defensive can be right, it can be wrong. It's ridiculous, really, said mindset that aggressive > defensive always.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A) What for you play slowly in an ODI? Its not a multi team tournament where RR matters. You are chasing 288 and playing with a SR of just 60 doesnt sounds good. They gave away the match well before. Had if it is NZ or AUS, they could have gone fighting

B) Posted a total over 600+ and still think that you will lose the test ( with such kind of batting lineup and bowling) is useless. He should have gone for kill.
C) The third reason points out that he is defensive. He cant attack. He succumbs when he tries to attack.
They would've consolidated first (i.e. Bat in the same manner as Dravid did), and then gone on fighting.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
They would've consolidated first (i.e. Bat in the same manner as Dravid did), and then gone on fighting.
I agree consolidating for 5-8 overs at max... but more than 10 overs is bad when chasing 289

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree consolidating for 5-8 overs at max... but more than 10 overs is bad when chasing 289
That depends on the bowlers actually, as good a batsmen as Dravid is, if the bowlers are bowling as well as i'm led to believe Anderson & Co. were bowling, they're going to struggle to all of a sudden flick the switch and score runs at 6+ rpo. This was evident by the fact he got out whilst trying to accelerate against high quality bowling.