• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should 2nd county division be counted as FC?

cpr

International Coach
the situation is a bit different at Lancs. Anderson and Mahmood are homegrown, whilst Sutton was brought in because of a frightening lack of depth in keepers. The first two have fought through the ranks, and earnt there spurs. The youth will just have to fight to get in the team. Now if it was a case of 'oh, what overpriced foreigner can we replace them with' thats different. Cross is picking up a good number of games in fairness, he's still too green for a regular FC keeper, but give him a couple of years and Sutton will have done his stop gap duty. Actually think Lancs have a good pedigree of blooding the youngsters, especially bowlers, players like Hogg are struggling not so much due to Kolpak madness, but a good array of talented youngsters fighting to get in

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Take Lancashire. Young players like Smith, Nweby, Hogg (who has had to go on loan twice to get games) and Cross don't get much action because of Cork, Chapple, Sutton plus Anderson and Mahmood when England don't want the later two. They don't get much critcisim for this. Now if it had been Kolpaks keeping them out...
Why should they get any criticism for it? Of the 4 young players you listed, two aren't good enough to play for Lancashire at this point in time (to go further, Hogg never will be) and one has nailed down the keeper's spot in Twenty20 cricket. Of the 5 players you've mentioned that are keeping them out, 4 are internationals. Why should an English county be criticised for playing an England player over an English player?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Lancs produce more home grown county players than most teams, and i don't think we can be criticised for bringing in otherplayers as the one young English batsman who gets a regular place in our side-Steven Croft- is crap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since two players from the football team I support got convicted of "brech of the peace" for their on field behaviour (and TBH anyone who thinks there is a peace to breach at Rangers v Celtic games is a bit silly:laugh: ) I've always thought the law should apply to sport as that was the argument of the police who brought the case. For criminal law, read employment law. In any case its probably the average players that get pushed out and that's no bad thing. I do think overseas players get scapegoated sometimes. Take Lancashire. Young players like Smith, Nweby, Hogg (who has had to go on loan twice to get games) and Cross don't get much action because of Cork, Chapple, Sutton plus Anderson and Mahmood when England don't want the later two. They don't get much critcisim for this. Now if it had been Kolpaks keeping them out...
As I say, if I have the choice between an average homegrown player and an average Kolpak\EU-passport player, give me the average homegrown every time. The calibre of players is not the issue for me, the issue is the money that's wasted. Does anyone have any idea how much extra an import costs than a homegrown? The answer is "a lot".