• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne to play on German passport?

stumpski

International Captain
Latest: report.

My first thought was "this can't be serious", but on reflection, I hope he's successful - it will show the system up for the nonsense it is.

Thoughts?

stumpski

International Captain
Neither did I, but then I haven't read his book(s). The only time I ever heard about his mother was that business with the banned slimming pill.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Hampshire would be lucky to have an overseas player like warne. From next season, Only one overseas player is allowed for a county team. So,, Hampshire can search for another overseas player with shane in the side.

stumpski

International Captain
Any county that has Shane Warne in their side shouldn't need a second overseas player IMO. :dry: They'll stil be able to play Ervine I presume.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Any county that has Shane Warne in their side shouldn't need a second overseas player IMO. :dry: They'll stil be able to play Ervine I presume.
They will get an overseas player for sure..look for it,..

They will use that option

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Great idea for Hampshire, Warne has retired from internationals and wants to live in England anyway so its good for him too. He wouldn't have any trouble getting back into Australia whenever he wanted either.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't Ervine a Koplax player anyway. So they would still have both anyway, plus one more overseas player.

Looks like a poor attempt at a fake tan there Jono, something im sure you and me will never need.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I fail to see how someone with a EU Passport is not considered an overseas player? They aren't British afterall.

But, good luck to him if they let him.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I fail to see how someone with a EU Passport is not considered an overseas player? They aren't British afterall.

But, good luck to him if they let him.
Basically, due to EU laws you can't restrict where anyone with an EU passport works within the EU... that's for any job at all. It counts for all sporting stuff too.

Last edited:

Salixiscool

Cricket Spectator
Wow I never knew his mum was German. That makes a lot more sense. At first I thought he did it just to gain attention.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
They've got Voges as their actual second overseas player.
Not at the moment... they have the West Indian Powell.

I think the way it works is, you're allowed two at any one time and no more than four through the whole season. So they've had Warne all season, and Clark, Voges then Powell as their second.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love the level headed responses from Australian figures:

RSL stalwart Bruce Ruxton was not amused by the possibility.

"Fancy giving up your Australian status to become a German," he said.

"He's definitely got a screw loose. Maybe he has a German woman?

"I just don't understand it."

Prime Minister John Howard said: "I would be amazed if Shane ended up doing that, amazed. And so would a lot of Australians.

"What people do with their citizenship in the end is their business, but I think, along with most other Australians, I'd be amazed."

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
By the Way Murali is now contemplating playing on a Boratistan Passport after he discovered his Grandmother was born while the plane was flying over Boratistan !!:laugh: :laugh:

In fact he even discovered that Ali G is his grand Uncle .:laugh: