• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great knocks

pasag

RTDAS
Sorry if this has been done, wondering what people thought were some of the all-time great knocks.

Just quickly some obvious Australian ones off the top of my head to get this started:

Kim Hughes 100* vs WI, Melb 81/81 - just watched this, with scores at 5 for not very many against Holding, Garner, Roberts and Croft - Hughes played out of his skin to put Australia into position to break the WI 15 match undefeated streak.

Stan McCabe 187* vs England, Melb 32/33 - Pure brilliance againt Bodyline which many regard as the all time greatest knock against brutal bowling.

Ricky Ponting 156 vs England, Old Trafford 2005 - So much has been said, can't really add to it tbh.

Don Bradman 334 vs England, Headingley 1930 - Casual 300 in a day's play. Not really sure which is his greatest innings. This one, the 254 at Lord's, the Bodyline century. There are so many amazing knocks from the greatest batsman ever it's really hard to choose (deserves a thread of its own itbt).

Anyways, let the lists begin.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Ricky Ponting 156 vs England, Old Trafford 2005 - So much has been said, can't really add to it tbh.

Anyways, let the lists begin.

That was brilliant IMO,...

Nathan Astle's 222 vs England was really electrifying :band:

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't an 'official' list made a few years ago? IIRC Gooch's 189 against a superb WI attack on a spiteful Headingley track in 1991 was rated number 1, and I wouldn't argue with that assessment.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Laxman's 281 v Australia, Calcutta 2001, best innings I've seen personally and I cant imagine there would have been many better.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Wasn't an 'official' list made a few years ago? IIRC Gooch's 189 against a superb WI attack on a spiteful Headingley track in 1991 was rated number 1, and I wouldn't argue with that assessment.
Wisden made a rating system and released a list based on that in 2001.
Not sure where it is though.

archie mac

International Coach
McCabe is credited with three great tons

I remember one by Slater against England at the SCG, he should have been run out for not many but there have not been too many players who could have played that innings

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whats wrong with that knock?

As for me I agree its a top 5 innings in Pakistan test cricket history.
Good innings, no doubt about it, but it wasn't that good to credit it as the greatest innings under pressure. I'm no expert on Pakistan cricket, but surely there are atleast a dozen innings better than that.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Vaughan's 100 against India in the 2nd Test this summer was pretty damn good. Bradman's 254 (?) at Lords was meant to be one of the best ever.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Don Bradman 334 vs England, Headingley 1930 - Casual 300 in a day's play. Not really sure which is his greatest innings. This one, the 254 at Lord's, the Bodyline century. There are so many amazing knocks from the greatest batsman ever it's really hard to choose (deserves a thread of its own itbt).
Bradman always said that 254 was his best innings and everything went as well as it possibly could until the ball he got out.

EDIT: Beaten by a whole six minutes.
EDIT: And twenty minutes before that.

archie mac

International Coach
Bradman always said that 254 was his best innings and everything went as well as it possibly could until the ball he got out.

EDIT: Beaten by a whole six minutes.
EDIT: And twenty minutes before that.
In fact he said that even that ball went just where he wanted it to, it was just a great freak catch by Percy Chapman (a man that should always be mentioned when discussing great fielders)