• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great knocks

adharcric

International Coach
Was Akhil IIRR... he's certainly the most (unfairly) harsh on Aseem on the board.

Good job Aseem takes it in good spirits.
That's it! Until now, I used to take credit because it made me look cool but now you're trying to portray me as a douche. I'm about to drop a shocker on CW.

It was np10. :ph34r:

JBMAC

State Captain
ONE of the best I have seen was Doug Walters 100 between Tea and stumps at the WACA...needed 6 off the last ball..and you guessed it he hit a six...Classic Innings and Walters at his punishing best.

R_D

International Debutant
Then you still had the guts to have a sarcastic laugh.
but saying it was best of the best ever was pushing a fair bit imho so i can understand where Perm's coming from.
I was inclined to laugh myself.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Good innings, no doubt about it, but it wasn't that good to credit it as the greatest innings under pressure. I'm no expert on Pakistan cricket, but surely there are atleast a dozen innings better than that.
You did not watch the innings so how can you say that there are dozen innings better than that, If that innings was played by say a Tendulkar or Ganguly, it would have been declared as one of the best ever.

Kamran Akmal's was a great inning and I dont know if it is one of the top 5 innings in the history of Pakistan Cricket, I dont know so much about Pakistani batting history. I sure wouldn't bet against it and wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed in top 5.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McCabe 187 vs Bodyline
McCabe 232 vs England 1938
Sutcliffe's gem at Melbourne in 1928-29 on a terrible sticky.

Beleg

International Regular
Calm down and stop acting like he committed a terrible crime.
Did you divine that I was anything but calm?

Stop projecting and acting like Big Brother's toady chastiser.

adharcric

International Coach
Did you divine that I was anything but calm?

Stop projecting and acting like Big Brother's toady chastiser.
I was referring to the second quoted post. Didn't see the need for so many people attacking him after you had already pointed out his mistake without making a fuss.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Dean Jones 210 in the tied Test at Chennai in 86/87 is one of the best of my lifetime. And Mark Waugh's 116 to win the series in South Africa in 96-97 is an often overlooked gem.

Botham's 118 against us in the 81 series might have been his greatest innings (despite his Headingly miracle 149* getting more hype). Hammond's 240 against Australia in 1938 was by all accounts an absolute masterclass, and considered by Bradman to be up there with the McCabe (232) and Sobers (254) efforts for the best he ever saw.

And a mention to Keith Miller's 185 for the Dominions XI against England at Lord's in 1945 which still gets all who were alive to see it a little misty-eyed.

In ODIs, two of my personal favourites are Viv's 189* against England in 1984, and AB's 127* against Marshall and Garner in their prime in 1984-85.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought that was just for the other battle thread, whereas in this one we were just discussing the great knocks through history? Or have I read that wrong?
Pretty sure you've read it wrong mate, as nightprowler10 decided to start the battle thread after getting some inspiration from this thread, which is actually seperate.