• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Standout keeper of the last decade or so

Best Keeper since 2000

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A Top 10 would be:

- Ian Healy
- Nayan Mongia
- Jack Russell
- Dave Richardson
- Adam Gilchrist
- Rashid Latif
- Mark Boucher
- Kumar Sangakkara
- Adam Parore
- Romesh Kaluwitharana

Damn, it took me almost 10 mins reasoning out this list, but thats how i would view it..
- Brendon McCullum
-
Possibly a top-ten from the last 15, rather than 10, years there.

One thing I might say, though: Kaluwitharana is easily overlooked - it's ironic, given how poor his ODI record with the bat ended-up being, that he's still far better-known for that than his wicketkeeping, which was, whenever I saw it, very much sound.

pup11

International Coach
So are we only talking about keeping skills here or are we judging a keeper as a complete package (batting + keeping)?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Possibly a top-ten from the last 15, rather than 10, years there.

One thing I might say, though: Kaluwitharana is easily overlooked - it's ironic, given how poor his ODI record with the bat ended-up being, that he's still far better-known for that than his wicketkeeping, which was, whenever I saw it, very much sound.
True, he'd come just about second on that list for me I always saw him as technically correct and very agile and he was great to Murali.

Sangakkarra is most improved keeper for me, around the time of the 2003 WC he was realy very average to be honest but whenever Ive seen him keep of late he's looked very good.

Ive always seen Gilchrist as solid rather than amazing, he's taken some excellent catches and you very rarely see him make a mess of things to any bowler, but I hold his record while keeping in England against him, I dont think there are stats available for where how many catches a player has dropped at certain venues, but I reckon Gilchrist has dropped as many catches on his two tours of England as he has the rest of his test carear combined (very little exageration lol), and given that England is traditionally the hardest country to keep in due to the late movement in the air I think thats a box he hasnt ticked.

I went for Parore btw.

iamdavid

International Debutant
An interesting thought, if a theoretical world XI were to be selected today, it's quite possible, even likely that Gilchrist despite being the best number 7 batsman and one of the most prolific keepers in history would miss out.

If batting ability is taken into account then its really only a two-horse race between Gilchrist and Sangakkarra, and I am of the opinion that Sangakkarra is the superior batsman (at least in the longer form, Gilchrists one day batting possibly still pips him). And during the last year or two his keeping has improved to the extent that there really isnt much to pick between him and Gilchrist.
Perhaps the mantle of worlds best keeper/batsman has changed hands...

Beleg

International Regular
nah, gilchrist is still better than sangakarra.

(edit: not by much though)

flower, gilchrist, sangakarra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An interesting thought, if a theoretical world XI were to be selected today, it's quite possible, even likely that Gilchrist despite being the best number 7 batsman and one of the most prolific keepers in history would miss out.

If batting ability is taken into account then its really only a two-horse race between Gilchrist and Sangakkarra, and I am of the opinion that Sangakkarra is the superior batsman (at least in the longer form, Gilchrists one day batting possibly still pips him). And during the last year or two his keeping has improved to the extent that there really isnt much to pick between him and Gilchrist.
You seem to be forgetting a certain Andy Flower.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe cause said player would still be an awesome wicket keeper batsmen now. He only retired at the start of the season so he really won't have lost much of his cricketing ability.

pasag

RTDAS
Maybe cause said player would still be an awesome wicket keeper batsmen now. He only retired at the start of the season so he really won't have lost much of his cricketing ability.
So? Retired players don't make it into World XIs, pretty simple concept. Just like Warne, Lara and McGrath are out of contention and even more so a guy that hasn't represented his country since 03.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Since mid-2003 Sangakkara has been easily a better batsman than Gilchrist, and I mean easily. Trouble with him IMO is that he's batted too high in the order when keeping, and hence has not had long enough to recover.

IMO if he'd batted five and kept wicket from the time of Kalu's retirement (instead of messing around with Prasanna Jayawardene) he could well be on-track the be the greatest wicketkeeper-batsman ever, bar none. Gilchrist only started, after all, at, what, 28?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sangakkarra is most improved keeper for me, around the time of the 2003 WC he was realy very average to be honest but whenever Ive seen him keep of late he's looked very good.
Yeah, it's astonishing how he improved. Absolutely incredible.

The timeframe I had was obviously the England series of 2000\01 and 2002, and in those 15 months he went from liability (near enough everyone was asking why Kalu had been dropped for the sake of a bowler who usually bowled 8 or 9 overs per Test) to a very, very fine gloveman indeed.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thread, are you drunk? Geraint Jones and MS Dhoni? How are they standout? They stand no chance against the likes of Boucher and Gilchrist.

Flem274*

123/5
Adam Parore

Not a vote out of patriotism, I genuinely believe he is the best there, followed by Sangakkara.

Thought Parore would have more votes TBH. I know he's a prick but he was definitely a world class keeper.

My thoughts on Gilchrist are solid but doesn't have the brilliance with the gloves that Parore, Sangakkara have. Boucher never keeps to spinners and keeping up to the stumps is the greatest challenge in keeping. You have no reaction time, it's all instincts and reflexes.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Moin Khan is also good keeper. He served Pak during 90's effectively. good handy bat too..disappointed to not to see atleast a vaote to him

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

gilchrist is a far better test batsman than odi batsman and his record clearly speaks for itself...but sangakkara is a much improved batsman and doesn't have the luxury of an exceptional top order above him, being a top order batsman himself...there is actually a significant third party that you haven't mentioned, andy flower...in my opinion the best batsman of the three and a competent 'keeper as well...