• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India - no longer bad tourists

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
This was only the thirdever series win in England in over 75 years of Indian Test cricket history puts the entire approach of Rahul Dravid and his men in perspective. For long,Indians have been called bad tourists but this team changed the tag.

I was very disappointed when the Indians chose not to enforce the follow-on. Had the lead been just above 200 and had there been about two and half-days to go, it would have been understandable. I don't buy this theory that the bowlers were tired because they are all professionals. Surely, they would not have to bat for more than an hour or so on the final day for it would have taken England that much time to set a target, if at all.

England applied themselves well when they had to save the Test. The wicket played well but they were still six down and hardly in front at the end (in terms of the first innings lead). I understand that such decisions are usually taken based on the consensus reached by the senior members of the team but in this case they got it wrong. The follow-on decision apart, there were some really big gains from this series. Youngsters like Dhoni, Kaarthick, Yuvraj (even if he didn't play), Zaheer and R P Singh would have benefited from this tour as they got new experience. They will have many more chances to tour abroad and the manner in which the team fought it out day after day on this tour, will pay heavily in future. They will tour knowing that they can compete abroad and win. The real test of their progress will come in Australia which is their next big tour.

I was most impressed with the Indian bowling. Except for a couple of hours on the first day at Lord's, the bowlers did a great job, with Sreesanth too coming good in the final Test. Session after session, they ran in hard and did all the right things. They may not have succeeded in bowling out England on the final day but it wasn't for want of try ing and I will take that any day.

That the batting came good despite the lack of too many runs for Rahul was another bonus.

Teamwork was the key and despite there being no hundreds from the main batsmen, there was almost always a handy total put up. All of this augurs well for the future.

Your views very much invited....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
India had shaken-off the not-on-tour tag back in 1971 when they did almost exactly what they've just done the last year-and-a-bit.

Will it remain off? We'll only find-out when we find-out. No doubt this is one of the best Indian touring sides ever the last year or so, though - none at all.

cricfever

Cricket Spectator
There has been already a lot of screaming for that decision from Dravid. But in my personnel opinion, i don't think that Dravid's decision was that wrong...he just wanted to make sure he wins the test series and it does not matters whichever way he does that.

cricfever

Cricket Spectator
I don't think so...If not for rain, this series would've been 1-1.
There are always lots of If's and But's...

What if Ganguly's decision was not wrong...
What if Tendulkar's decision was not wrong...
What if Tendular was not dropped, when he was batting at 10 in the first innings....

At the end, its only the end result that matters....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't agree, I think had India lost the First Test Dravid would have enforced the follow-on, and quite probably won, at The Oval. That's presuming we hadn't managed to get Kumble out, of course. As regards that, I don't really think it mattered whether he did or not, 1-0 and 2-0 is neither here nor there, they're both series victories. Why take the slightest risk when you can take 0 risk?

Either way, it's not purely this series. They recently won in West Indies (only 2nd time ever, 1st in 35 years), won a Test in SA which they'd never done before, and utterly dominated the Second and Third Tests of this series.

Raghav

Everything is part and parcel of the game. Thats what makes the game beautiful. Rain, wrong decisions should be there and that would create enthusiasm in sport.....

Love cricket for the sole reason for being so unpredictable

tooextracool

International Coach
Well done to India on winning this series. They had their luck IMO, but zaheer khan was about 10 times as good as anyone else on either side so theres no way you dont deserve to win with something like that.

Saying that though, if i were Michael Vaughan i would have considered chasing 500 for the win. As has been said earlier 1-0 and 2-0 makes no difference IMO and 500 @ about 4.5 runs an over wasnt exactly impossible.

pup11

International Coach
If not for rain, Australia's wouldn't have won last series in India.
Give me a break India prepared a dust-bowl track at Mumbai to win the only test they won in that series and in the Chennai test in which they still needed 200 odd runs on the last day and history tells us that India have lost test matches in those situations too. But at the end of the day its the end result that really matters.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If not for a stray ball in the outfield, the Ashes 2005 wouldn't have been lost. If bad light had come about 10 minutes faster than it did, India would have drawn in South Africa.

It's a part of sport.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonetheless, it's always regrettable. I never like to see players injured, and as you know I hate anything causing overs to be lopped-off Test-matches.

The sooner we can get rid of the lot of it the better IMO. And bad Umpiring decisions with it.

pup11

International Coach
Well done to India on winning this series. They had their luck IMO, but zaheer khan was about 10 times as good as anyone else on either side so theres no way you dont deserve to win with something like that.

Saying that though, if i were Michael Vaughan i would have considered chasing 500 for the win. As has been said earlier 1-0 and 2-0 makes no difference IMO and 500 @ about 4.5 runs an over wasnt exactly impossible.
:beer: :sleep: It ain't that easy to score 450 odd runs on a Day 5 pitch against an in form Indian bowling line-up and remember mate England were only playing with 6 batsmen and rest were five no.11's :lol: (Prior,Monty,Tremlett,Sidebottom and Anderson). In a sense judging by Vaughan's post match press conference he seemed quite relieved losing the series by 1-0 rather than losing it 2-0.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nonetheless, it's always regrettable. I never like to see players injured, and as you know I hate anything causing overs to be lopped-off Test-matches.

The sooner we can get rid of the lot of it the better IMO. And bad Umpiring decisions with it.
Oh, I completely agree. But it's still a part of sport until something is done about it and saying well it should have been 1-1 or something like that...it's just not on.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Give me a break India prepared a dust-bowl track at Mumbai to win the only test they won in that series and in the Chennai test in which they still needed 200 odd runs on the last day and history tells us that India have lost test matches in those situations too. But at the end of the day its the end result that really matters.
India didn't prepare dust bowl track at Mumbai. It has been discussed here quite a few times, you can check those threads for the reason theres. History also tells us that India have made one of the biggest Run Chase in the history of Cricket (Biggest before WI chased that Target in Sarwan/Mcgrath test). They way India were batting in Chennai, India had more chances of winning the test than losing it.

But as you said, at the end of the day its the end result that really matters and I believe that too. My post was only in response to Sideshowtim's post I quoted.

cricfever

Cricket Spectator
Everything is part and parcel of the game. Thats what makes the game beautiful. Rain, wrong decisions should be there and that would create enthusiasm in sport.....

Love cricket for the sole reason for being so unpredictable
Sorry, but I won't agree to that again....

I love cricket but the only reason i hate it sometimes is due to it's unpredictable decisions.

I think technology is so advance, that the the third umpire should revert any wrong decision that took place. If this is little time consuming, they can reduce the game to 48-overs game or start it early,but atleast it would be a fair game. One wrong decision changes the outcome of the game.

Regarding rain, i don't think they could do much..except try to make roof covered stadiums.

Cheers

haroon510

International 12th Man
i consider india pretty lucky with geting away with first test.. after that they really performed well.. to some it up they perform good in the days that the luck was in thier side.

the question that i want to through in here is that if mathew hoggard and harmison was here would the result be different?

Raghav

i consider india pretty lucky with geting away with first test.. after that they really performed well.. to some it up they perform good in the days that the luck was in thier side.

the question that i want to through in here is that if mathew hoggard and harmison was here would the result be different?
It would have been same....or ever worser for England IMO...

England bowling was good all through the series

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:wallbash:
If Hoggard had been fit we'd have had a better chance, if Harmison had we've have had a much worse one.