Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: India close in on England

India close in on England

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Don't worry the Aussies will put things right this summer (if they can remember how to play Test cricket after all this time)
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Am hoping that the Indians might put the Aussies right TBH.

Seriously, I really, really do believe a repeat in some way, shape or form of 2003\04 is not OOTQ.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Am hoping that the Indians might put the Aussies right TBH.

Seriously, I really, really do believe a repeat in some way, shape or form of 2003\04 is not OOTQ.
    It is imo, because of the one tour match. Just not enough for them to get used to the conditions plus it's at the end of a long season for them and they'll be gone imo. Just rotten scheduling to blame really.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Though their build-up in 2003\04 was hardly ideal IIRR?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Side are starting to get used to the lack of build up for Test series. Its been like this for 2-3 years and reducing for the last 10 years. Its nothing new these days to play a 3-day match and head straight into a Test Match. Also alot of home players don't play many domestic matches either so you generally find both a slightly less match harden.

Also with the number of matches played these days only new players wouldn't have played on similar pitches. Also with the roads you have these days, there is less difference between pitches around the world. If you have seen one road you have seen them all.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Australia have better bowling and better batting than 2003. India have similar bowling and worse batting. Kumble is slightly worse, the pace is slightly better (the pace guys didn't do badly in 2003, remember AA?). But the batting is worse.

Combine all that with virtually no warm ups, and 3-0 Australia IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Also with the roads you have these days, there is less difference between pitches around the world. If you have seen one road you have seen them all.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Australia have better bowling and better batting than 2003. India have similar bowling and worse batting. Kumble is slightly worse, the pace is slightly better (the pace guys didn't do badly in 2003, remember AA?). But the batting is worse.

IMO there's not much between Australia's bowling of 2003\04 and now. I'm not so sure about the batting but I wasn't really commenting on that. And as I say, I hope we're on track to see the same Indian line-up of 2003\04 do the same job of exposing an Australian attack.

Clark of 2007\08 is probably = Gillespie of 2003\04. The rest are all untried, as they were in 2003\04. Granted, Tait looks to be a better prospect than Williams ever was, but you never know, do you?

The fact that England are still 2nd in the rankings shows how flawed the system is, imo. Presumably our position owes much to the wins over SA & Aus in 2005, but we all know how different the current side is to that one.

I don't think anyone takes the things seriously.

How different it'd be with the real championship (as opposed to ratings) format I'd like I don't know.

Either way, having failed to beat Sri Lanka at home and lost to India, we can not possibly claim to be #2 IMO. Just as we couldn't claim to be #1 after 1971 for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post

Yeah I unfortunately get the feeling we'll cop a hiding this summer. The scheduling has a big part to play, and overall I think Australia are comfortably the more consistent team.

I can see India being quite competitive in a couple of tests, but overall I see Australia winning 2-0 or 3-0 out of the 4 tests. I hope I'm wrong obviously.
    Last edited by Jono; 14-08-2007 at 06:48 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

You could have seen that in 2003\04 too.

That's true. I remember plenty of 4-0 predictions on CW (I actually signed up to CW during the 4th test in Sydney, but went back in the tour thread and was astounded at how confident many people were of 4-0).

A hell of a lot will depend on India's seamers IMO. I hope Zaheer isn't driven into the ground with workload. Ravi Shastri mentioned something about him needing a rest soon. I hope he's rested for some of these ODIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    A hell of a lot will depend on India's seamers IMO. I hope Zaheer isn't driven into the ground with workload. Ravi Shastri mentioned something about him needing a rest soon. I hope he's rested for some of these ODIs.
    He is not going to play in the Twenty20 Championship - that is his rest.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information