• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis considering his future

brockley

International Captain
Odds are he will retire when you look at razzak/yousaf and play s african domestic cricket then earn a huge wage to the biggest bidder as a kolpak player in england.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Will lose all respect for the man if he signs with ICL.
He won't though. I'm almost sure of it. Setting myself up for a Greigy I know, but he won't join the ICL. It wouldn't shock me totally if he retired from international cricket and signed for a county, but I don't really think he'll do that either.

Langeveldt

Soutie
He won't though. I'm almost sure of it. Setting myself up for a Greigy I know, but he won't join the ICL. It wouldn't shock me totally if he retired from international cricket and signed for a county, but I don't really think he'll do that either.
hope you are right.. It's one thing when a bit part player goes off to earn some more cash, another when it's the best all rounder in the world..

stumpski

International Captain
Why ? Did you lose respect for all players that signed up for Packer ?
Don't think many on here were around 30 years ago tbh, but Packer caused a lot of bad feeling at the time. I wrote a school essay about it and got to read it out to the class. :smartass: I was certainly 'anti' at the time (aged 14), but I've come round to the WSC players' viewpoint a little more over the years.

Zimdan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Kallis is a class player, although i do think the SA selectors were right to leave him out a 20/20 team simply for the fact he is far too pedestrian for a whack and whallop game of 20/20.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think many on here were around 30 years ago tbh, but Packer caused a lot of bad feeling at the time. I wrote a school essay about it and got to read it out to the class. :smartass: I was certainly 'anti' at the time (aged 14), but I've come round to the WSC players' viewpoint a little more over the years.
Absolutely, purely in cricket terms (ie, if - and yeah, it's an if that can't be ignored - the rather-substantial-extra-pay matter didn't come into it) there was zero - zip, zilch - reason to stray to Packer and the distaste for those who did was partially understandible, given that some had no idea of just how much of a pay-rise was involved. Dickie Bird turned the offer down and received reams of congratulations calling him a "true Englishman" and the like.

It's a mark of how easily the bad matters are forgotten that the schism is regarded by any number of people these days as an almost unbridled wonder.

howardj

International Coach
Why ? Did you lose respect for all players that signed up for Packer ?
Different circumstances though mate. Kallis would already be a very wealthy man. Clearly, he will not have to busk on the street when he eventually retires. Can't see how it would be worth turning your back on your team for the sake of some short-term dollars, that in the long run he could most likely earn by staying in the ICC tent as it were.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Different circumstances though mate. Kallis would already be a very wealthy man. Clearly, he will not have to busk on the street when he eventually retires. Can't see how it would be worth turning your back on your team for the sake of some short-term dollars, that in the long run he could most likely earn by staying in the ICC tent as it were.
He is not turning his back on his team, it is his board that has dropped him from 20/20 WC. It is fairly obvious that If Kallis joined ICL it wont be because of money.

Langeveldt

Soutie
He is not turning his back on his team, it is his board that has dropped him from 20/20 WC. It is fairly obvious that If Kallis joined ICL it wont be because of money.
Despite giving him assurances that he would compete in the test and ODI side of things? Thats a lot to give up over some hit and giggle rubbish

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Despite giving him assurances that he would compete in the test and ODI side of things? Thats a lot to give up over some hit and giggle rubbish
The fact that he still needs assurances from the Board after serving SA Cricket for almost a decade with distinction is a pointer of how cricket is run in SA.

Of course there is a lot to give up, if at all he decides to join ICL, but IMO it wont be because of money(as Howardj was susgesting) but because of how he is being treated by the board.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The fact that he still needs assurances from the Board after serving SA Cricket for almost a decade with distinction is a pointer of how cricket is run in SA.

Of course there is a lot to give up, if at all he decides to join ICL, but IMO it wont be because of money(as Howardj was susgesting) but because of how he is being treated by the board.
I think they are just coping with his over reaction.. It's ridiculous to even entertain the thought that he wouldn't be an integral part of their test and ODI plans for the next couple of years.. So his dummy spitting is made even more ludicrous, as well as the fact that he somehow needs this reassurance..

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Agreed with Langs here. Sanz, your argument may work for Yousuf but not for Kallis. He's not been mistreated at all. He's clearly not cut out for 20/20 and the SA board have virtually assured him of playing in the Tests and ODIs. Completely stupid.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Couldn't care less about an award adjudged by you, tells a lot about the quality. TBF CW awards have lost their value since you became a judge there .

Oh if it was not clear, Please dont consider me for CW awards.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Couldn't care less about an award adjudged by you, tells a lot about the quality. TBF CW awards have lost their value since you became a judge there .

Shish Sanz...chill bro...chill....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Most people tend to not consider you for CW, really, but I daresay I could take the 2nd-best option here.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Don't start this again FFS, it's getting very boring.