• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis considering his future

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
All I can say is South African selectors were pretty darn stupid to leave one of the best Batsmen in World Cricket out of the Team. If they have any sense, they will put him back and save themselves a valuable player for SA Cricket, otherwise he sounds like he is ready to quit SA and play county Cricket or even ICL ....and I wouldn't blame him by the way SA have gone about here.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t think South Africa were in any way ‘stupid’ in leaving out Kallis, their rationale for his exclusion was more than palatable. It’s just his original inclusion in the 30 man squad which was rather nonsensical. CSA should had left Kallis out of the 30, explained their reasoning for this, either one of precaution of rest, due to their hectic schedule or simply he did not fit the ethos of their 20/20 side. By including Kallis and then making him vice-captain, he was lead up the garden path and that’s probably his greater gripe.

In regard to his future, Kallis does come across from what I can gather as a fairly emotional character and comments such as ‘considering my future’ seem like words which are probably said without any time to reflect. Although, it would be rather farcical if Kallis quit South African cricket, over an omission from a tournament which many people are not taking that ‘seriously’.

howardj

International Coach
Such a big story involving one of the world's best batsmen, which really has little to do with the Twenty20 World Cup, should be moved to Cricket Chat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Kallis gives up international cricket because of this tournament, I will dead-set boycott Twenty20 cricket for the rest of my natural life. Ridiculous situation.

pasag

RTDAS
So they've not picked him for his benefit (officially) and yet he might not play again because of it? Would be madness if he wasn't put right back in the team asap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don’t think South Africa were in any way ‘stupid’ in leaving out Kallis, their rationale for his exclusion was more than palatable. It’s just his original inclusion in the 30 man squad which was rather nonsensical. CSA should had left Kallis out of the 30, explained their reasoning for this, either one of precaution of rest, due to their hectic schedule or simply he did not fit the ethos of their 20/20 side. By including Kallis and then making him vice-captain, he was lead up the garden path and that’s probably his greater gripe.

In regard to his future, Kallis does come across from what I can gather as a fairly emotional character and comments such as ‘considering my future’ seem like words which are probably said without any time to reflect. Although, it would be rather farcical if Kallis quit South African cricket, over an omission from a tournament which many people are not taking that ‘seriously’.
Such a big story involving one of the world's best batsmen, which really has little to do with the Twenty20 World Cup, should be moved to Cricket Chat.
If Kallis gives up international cricket because of this tournament, I will dead-set boycott Twenty20 cricket for the rest of my natural life. Ridiculous situation.
Think that's possibly the best 3 consecutive posts in CW history (apart from when I make 3 in a row of course).

howardj

International Coach
Mate, I'll break down. I'll be in tears if Jacquesy goes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think that's possibly the best 3 consecutive posts in CW history (apart from when I make 3 in a row of course).
:laugh:

I genuinely laughed at that. Not because it had no chance of being true or anything, but because you had the hide to say it. And yes, I'm aware it was in jest.

pup11

International Coach
Seriously stupid decision by South African selectors :angry:, they have insulted a great player like Kallis by dropping him from this tournament especially when its being played in South Africa.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Thats Kallis's fault for over reacting.. Not Twenty20's fault...

We all know that Twenty20 is the poor man's version of the game.. So by rights, Kallis should be absolutely terrible at the format.. good call by CSA..

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Seriously silly of him to think about quitting in a form of the game that doesn't suit him. Besides he's got to worry about the might of the WI after. :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is possible that Kallis is over reacting but at the end of the day he is a pro and this is how he earns his money and a decision by CSA like this has financial implications to the player concerned.

Also there is no doubt that ego is involved. Its a new format and noone that is slightly insecure would feel good about being left out whatever the reason.

CSA may have a point in this but it seems communication has been poor and they seem to have ignored the potent combination of ego and money that helps fuel virtually every top sportsman

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It is possible that Kallis is over reacting but at the end of the day he is a pro and this is how he earns his money and a decision by CSA like this has financial implications to the player concerned.

Also there is no doubt that ego is involved. Its a new format and noone that is slightly insecure would feel good about being left out whatever the reason.

CSA may have a point in this but it seems communication has been poor and they seem to have ignored the potent combination of ego and money that helps fuel virtually every top sportsman
Kallis' agent and former South African cricket Dave Rundle has said that part of Kallis disappointment was the loss of a projected R250 000. Although, considering Kallis didn't go to India to accept a similar figure two months ago, I can't see the issue of money being that paramount with the player. As you say ego and the lack of the transparency of it all has probably had the greater effective on Kallis, than the financial implications of missing out.

Anyhow, his Neil Manthorp’s article on Kallis' omission…
http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=5531&des=sportstalk

Last edited:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Anyhow, his Neil Manthorp’s article on Kallis' omission…
http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=5531&des=sportstalk
I'm glad you posted this because I have been one of the biggest advocates for leaving Kallis out of the squad because of his slow run rate.
Goes to show what I know!:)
Quote:
On another matter, Kallis has played under five Proteas coaches: Bob Woolmer, Graham Ford, Eric Simons, Ray Jennings and Mickey Arthur. The only one of those men to have occasionally encouraged Kallis to bat with 'freedom' was Jennings, but even under him the times when he urged caution far out-weighed those when he urged a more aggressive approach.

In other words, if there was a sentence that best summed up the instructions which have shaped Kallis' career, it would go something like this: "You are our best player, Jacques, you are the difference between a brittle middle order and a solid one, so don't get out!" Now, it would appear, he is being told: "You're too slow, Jacques, and your record proves it." That's even more reason for him to be angry and start "considering the options" for his future
End of quote
I've never thought of his batting in these terms, I've always thought of him as a naturally slow batter. What's more, he is our leading six-hitter both in Test and ODI cricket.
Not only do I owe him an apology (:oops:), but now I'm sorry he's not in the side!

Maybe I should stop giving opinions on an internet forum!:(