• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis considering his future

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The Jennings reference in the article is interesting as he was very unpopular with a number of players and those that ran the game but he was a coach that challenged players to move away from typically stoic and conservative SA cricket.

Obviously some rebelled against his ideas but he would have been good for the game in SA. Unfortunately it appears he lacked the required interpersonal skills to implement his progressive ideas successfully.

Lostman

State Captain
Obviously some rebelled against his ideas but he would have been good for the game in SA. Unfortunately it appears he lacked the required interpersonal skills to implement his progressive ideas successfully.
wasnt he the guy that made nitini take an ice bath?
If so, i can imagine why the players would have wanted him out, there is really no need to humiliate people like that. It doesnt get you any respect and you just end up being shown as a bully.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
wasnt he the guy that made nitini take an ice bath?
If so, i can imagine why the players would have wanted him out, there is really no need to humiliate people like that. It doesnt get you any respect and you just end up being shown as a bully.
? Fast bowlers and all high impact athletes should take ice baths at the end of a days play. Its essential in recovery. Ice baths are a sportsmans miracle and not taking one is pretty amateurish

I hardly see how asking a guy to do what any proffessional athlete would do to be humiliating.

There was an incident with Ntini that was blown out of proportion but does show the lack of people skills Jennings had. Ntini was bowling terribley and he tore a strip off him which was fair enough. However, Nitini then worked his ass off in the nets with the Assistant coach and made a real effort to put things right. His form picked up and Jennings credited it with him being hard on Ntini rather than the work the Assistant put in.

One probably followed the other so Jennings did have an influence but he failed to recognise the hard work of Ntini and the Asisstant Coach

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thats Kallis's fault for over reacting.. Not Twenty20's fault...
Indeed, but if not for Twenty20, which I find exceedingly useless, we would not be having this problem. Kallis is my favourite player and I'm a T20IBS member, so you can see how this situation would really grind my gears.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africans making a real mess of this issue by now involving Kallis's best friend(and business partner) Mark Boucher as well. I really hope those at the top at SA cricket are capable of eating Humble Pie . Otherwise they are going to lose not one but 2 good players by making a real meal of this.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boucher to face disciplinary hearing after criticising Kallis omission, making detrimental remarks about the 20/20 Championship and a couple of other offences to boot…

http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=225456&des=article&scat=supercricket/sateam
According to this article, all he said was that Twenty20s come third in importance after ODIs and Tests, which is, I'm sure, how the huge majority of the cricketing world would view it. Is he supposed to come out and say that this is more important than a Test or ODI series, even though there wouldn't have been more than twenty of these games played internationally? The whole thing is just a bit ridiculous.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah Boucher said more than just that. Something about hidden agendas and alterior motives and stuff right?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Such a big story involving one of the world's best batsmen, which really has little to do with the Twenty20 World Cup, should be moved to Cricket Chat.
Agreed

According to this article, all he said was that Twenty20s come third in importance after ODIs and Tests, which is, I'm sure, how the huge majority of the cricketing world would view it. Is he supposed to come out and say that this is more important than a Test or ODI series, even though there wouldn't have been more than twenty of these games played internationally? The whole thing is just a bit ridiculous.
I'd imagine given South Africa is hosting it (although if its an ICC event, I suppose the ICC, not Cricket South Africa, are pocketing the dosh), they might be a little sensitive to suggestions that its a dumbed down version of hit and giggle.

Appalled to see this occurring actually. Kallis clearly takes a deal of pride in playing for his country and being VC seemed to mean a bit to him to. For him to be left out of a squad for a supposedly marquee event like this is a slap in the face, but one that as a professional he'd be expected to deal with in a professional manner. BUT, and this is a big BUT, it also seems clear that CSA haven't been very professional or respectful in their attitude towards him. I can't imagine that if they'd advised him ahead of time that this was their thinking and given their reasons (developing youth, resting for busy schedule, etc) and moreover done so in a way that suggested they recognised how he was likely to feel about it, that he would have reacted this way.

Boucher's stuff is a bit funny. I absolutely understand why he would be dismayed at this treatment of his close friend and business partner, and why he feels he's justified in making his comments. But I can also see why CSA feels it has to crack down on senior players criticising team selection - if Boucher was captain that's one thing, but I can see where they're coming from - don't necessarily agree over these specific comments, but I can see the principle involved for CSA.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah moved. Like Matt, I was quite interested in Boucher's comments re: Twenty20. You'd think that for a big home tournament, the players would be doing everything in their power to increase the hype, not downplay it. As much as I dislike the format, I'd could imagine how CSA would be furious over that (no matter how true it is :p).

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Indeed, but if not for Twenty20, which I find exceedingly useless, we would not be having this problem. Kallis is my favourite player and I'm a T20IBS member, so you can see how this situation would really grind my gears.
How can you blame Twenty/20 for this? I don't like killer bees, but I don't blame global warming on them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like Matt, I was quite interested in Boucher's comments re: Twenty20. You'd think that for a big home tournament, the players would be doing everything in their power to increase the hype, not downplay it. As much as I dislike the format, I'd could imagine how CSA would be furious over that (no matter how true it is :p).
I find it interesting (TSTL), very interesting in fact. Was anyone seriously saying this about the inaugural WC in '75? (Maybe they were, I honestly don't know, I know little about the tournament other than the final)

There's also the fact that many of the SAfricans, Donald being the most vocal, said that the 2003 WC was built-up too much.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Jennings reference in the article is interesting as he was very unpopular with a number of players and those that ran the game but he was a coach that challenged players to move away from typically stoic and conservative SA cricket.

Mark Boucher said recently that Jennings in spite of what he thought of the time had a positive effect on his career. Boucher, now 'credits' Ray’s style of being rather more productive than most South African cricketers thought at the time and would openly consider. I think Ray’s failure as South Africa’s coach was that he challenged the hierarchy of the side, something which Mickey Arthur hasn’t. Ray always favoured the 'marginalised' guys and at the time the new guys, the Andre Nel’s of this world over the established figures, who he considered were chewing the fat or in the case of Graeme Smith, were fat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ridiculous situation..... Hope it gets sorted out. Otherwise, expecting to see Jacques and Boucher in the ICL this winter. ;)

jot1

State Vice-Captain
ridiculous situation..... Hope it gets sorted out. Otherwise, expecting to see Jacques and Boucher in the ICL this winter. ;)
Even more ridiculous..............after two hours of nail-biting and waiting to hear Bouchie's fate, for all cricket loving Saffies, they come out and announce the hearing has been postponed.
What on earth were they doing in there all that time, then?:wacko:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pfft, hopefully the pair of them will go and join KP at England.. And good riddance to them if thats the case.. Kallis, one of the slowest batters in the national side gets left out of a glorified slog, has a cry about it and contemplates throwing his international career away? Good luck to him, and maybe he can learn the Anthem while he is away.. Both he and Abdur Razzaq have gone down in my books heaps since throwing their toys out of the cot..

brockley

International Captain
The counties are lining up apparently with the chequebooks very fat,kallis is considering their offers and an offer from ICL.