• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do any of you (honestly) walk?

Do you walk?

• Yes I do, whatever the situation!

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Only if the pressure is off!

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Never, the Umpire is there to make the decision!

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ok so weve been hearing Justin Langer's thoughts on the spirit of the game, I was wondering if any of you people would honestly walk when you know you have nicked it.
Even if your team desperately needed you to bat through, say you were threatened with relegation even.

Personally I would only walk if it was in a completely non pressure situation. Only if we had absolutely no hope of winning at all, or i was on 100 not out or something.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First off; the Aussie players of the 70's would have HATED you. :D Apprently they used to abuse the hell out of people who walked when it suited them.

Second, I've never really had to worry about walking when my middle-peg has been sent flying back at the wicket-keeper. :D

Having said that, if it were to happen, you can be sure I will not walk. I'd rather let the umpire give me out because that's what they're out there for.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've never had the decision to make as I can't bat, it's either bowled or a sitter of a catch to cover or mid-off.

But I guess I would, I just wouldn't feel right. Although with two balls to go, last man, needing to stay in to stay in the league... not easy. Especially sitting in front of a computer.

If anyone did walk in that situation it would be incredibly noble, some would say stupid. I hope I never have to make that decision.

Orin

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah I walk but not that often. The last time I walked was in a Under 15 game when I went for the big pull shot over square leg and the ball nicked my bat but the umpire seemed that he would not have giving me out but still I walked.

Plus in a Under 19 schools match I nicked a ball big, My bat was clearly away from my body and I had a big edge but the umpire did not say a word. So I stayed and I proceded and made 51.

Simon

i never walk on edges, even when i nicked one to first slip a few weeks ago i didnt walk, i was given out in pretty quick time though.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
NEVER....

What goes around comes around...
I may not be given out if i am out but next innings i could get given out when i miss it completely...

Thats my theory anyway...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I walk if I know I'm out, but if I'm not sure or it's an LBW then I leave the Umpire to do it as that's his job. I wish I didn't have to sometimes though...as one desision a few years ago was out despite my front foot being about half a foot outside off...

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Well, I tend to look at it from a different angle a bit in that I'm a fast bowler and if the batsman's nicked it I'd want him to walk.......so if i'm batting and i nick it, i walk.....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
R_Powell_fan said:
Well, I tend to look at it from a different angle a bit in that I'm a fast bowler and if the batsman's nicked it I'd want him to walk.......so if i'm batting and i nick it, i walk.....
Well your not allways sure, so I don't walk unless I'm sure. Though the umpires sometimes give me out when I've missed the ball...:rolleyes:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Until now I have always walked, but during the under 21 tournament the last couple of days i have haad 2 aweful desicions go against me so i am starting to think that they all even out in the end.

Both desicions were caught behind.. one that the ball hit my pad, and the other one was when the bat hit the pad but was well away from the ball.

Umpires make mistakes both ways but then in the end, i would feel bad if i didn't walk

Simon

a few seasons ago i was given out caught off a bump ball, after i has smashed it to cover, the only person who appealed was the guy who "caught" it, but i was given out anyway, since that i just cant walk because i know theres another bad one coming.

Kimbo

International Debutant
i never walk. the umpire is there for a reason, to make decisions. they go against me enough so no way would i walk.
the ony time i would walk is if it was a player umpire.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
just like TC said, Ian Chappell is a big advocate of not walking, and I think it makes sense.

They way I see it, it undermines what the umpires do, especially if the ump doesnt give out but the batsman leaves, it makes the umpire look less competent in the eyes of all the players and audience, which is especially a bad thing. There can be nothing worse than the players losing faith in the umpire's abilities.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
royGilchrist said:
just like TC said, Ian Chappell is a big advocate of not walking, and I think it makes sense.

They way I see it, it undermines what the umpires do, especially if the ump doesnt give out but the batsman leaves, it makes the umpire look less competent in the eyes of all the players and audience, which is especially a bad thing. There can be nothing worse than the players losing faith in the umpire's abilities.
That's true Roy but doesn't that happen when they go to the Third Umpire?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
not for caught behind or LBW. Going to the third ump means that the ump is not sure and wants a better opinion. But if the batsman walks when the ump gives not out, then that is like the ump says he is sure its not out, but the batsman says 'nope, you are worng, it was out, and Im walking', hence proving the umpire worng.

As far as things like runouts, or to judge if the catch was clean, the batsman sees it just like an umpire, and either one of them can be wrong, so if the batsman thinks differently than the umpire he is not necessarily right. In the case of LBW, and caught behind (nick) the batsman would always be right (almost) hence if he thinks differently than the ump, the ump is worng, and will undermine the competence of the ump.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Thanks for clearing that up Roy...

As an Umpire, I still believe that the constant use of techonlogy undermines your ability to do the job..It's hard enough being an umpire without someone else telling you were wrong after being able to watch 3000 replays of something that I only had a split second to see..

I beleive that you should walk if you are out unless the Ump tells you otherwise...

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Once i went for a drive, I was on 1 at the time. I gave a massive nick to the keeper and started walking because it was so obviously out I knew the umpire would give it.

He didnt give me out, i looked around and asked him whether he had given me out yet, he said no you are not out so I turned around and walked back to my crease.

Well u can imagine the reaction from the other team, they had a bloke who was giving me a hell of a lot of abuse
(I was only 14 at the time) , kept on aborting his run up and telling me he'd cut my f****** legs of if i dared to back up my partner. Telling me I wasnt f******* good enough and it was a
f******* disgrace i was playing at all. (half of it i didnt pick up)

I took my helmet off for the spin bowler, who proceded to bounce me stupid with quick balls, he was given a warning, and we havent played that team since.
(I made 19 out of a team total of 32!!)

So who is in the wrong, me for not walking, or them for their reaction??????????

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In the rules of the game.. neither.

But... there's no way anyone should abuse someone like that (especially only a kid). They ought to have concentrated on getting you out instead of trying to kill you.

You're well within your rights to stay in if you're not given (that's what the umpire's there for!) and we've already discussed the morality of not walking earlier.