• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's The Best Bowler EVER?

archie mac

International Coach
I can't speak for the people you come across, obviously, but if you have a look at these examples you can see I don't think that is necessarily the case (just to clarify we're discussing other people's opinions here and not the validity of them).

ESPN Legends of cricket - Warne at 4, Lilliee at 6 and Marshall at 16
Wisden Cricketer of the Century - Lillee, Barnes, O'Reilly, Larwood, Lindwall all above him with Marshall only receiving 3 votes.

Didn't make it in Bradman's or Benaud's XIs or even the short list of the latter. My point is to repeat, from what I've come across, it isn't widely accepted that he's the greatest bowler (or even fast bowler) ever. (Obviously all those lists I brought are much criticised and are said to have many flaws, but again we're not talking about their validity here.)
I remember once Colin Croft leaving him out of his all time Windies 11, he said he was over rated and relied on the other great bowlers in the team to get his wickets.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I remember once Colin Croft leaving him out of his all time Windies 11, he said he was over rated and relied on the other great bowlers in the team to get his wickets.
yeah, but I wouldn't really trust much of what Colin Croft says... Doesn't seem a very neutral or level headed commentator. Just the way he had carried on against Lara for so many years made it obvious.

archie mac

International Coach
yeah, but I wouldn't really trust much of what Colin Croft says... Doesn't seem a very neutral or level headed commentator. Just the way he had carried on against Lara for so many years made it obvious.
Yes he can get a little excited, it should also be said that he made these comments before MM passed away

Zimdan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Probably Sydney Barnes in the late era.

The modern era's top bowler must go to Warne, not just for his wickets but his on field personality and his reincarnation of leg spin into cricket. It was a dead art and he brought it back from the dead.

Kids from all over the world want to recreate his magic, even kids in Zimbabwe know who he is and even they try to bowl leg spin.

He's an iconic cricketer no matter where your are, and what he has done for the game is indispesible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't speak for the people you come across, obviously, but if you have a look at these examples you can see I don't think that is necessarily the case (just to clarify we're discussing other people's opinions here and not the validity of them).

ESPN Legends of cricket - Warne at 4, Lilliee at 6 and Marshall at 16
Wisden Cricketer of the Century - Warne, Lillee, Barnes, O'Reilly, Larwood, Lindwall all above him with Marshall only receiving 3 votes.

Didn't make it in Bradman's or Benaud's XIs or even the short list of the latter. My point is to repeat, from what I've come across, it isn't widely accepted that he's the greatest bowler (or even fast bowler) ever. (Obviously all those lists I brought are much criticised and are said to have many flaws, but again we're not talking about their validity here.)
Always thought Bradman's and Benaud's XIs were just "favourite" lists TBH, and have only ever had random access to the ESPN list, never knew there was any form of ranking to it. Am astonished though TBH, and whoever came-up with said lists I'd like to have a decent dissection of their reasoning. The Wisden one, of course, took many things besides pure cricketing calibre into the equation and always said such a thing.

As I say, virtually everyone I've heard talk about it (and I'm talking one-offs here, not panels such as the Wisden one and, presumably, the ESPN one) has generally said "Marshall and Lillee". This is (for example) the Mark Nicholases and Scyld Berrys of this World.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Probably Sydney Barnes in the late era.

The modern era's top bowler must go to Warne, not just for his wickets but his on field personality and his reincarnation of leg spin into cricket. It was a dead art and he brought it back from the dead.

Kids from all over the world want to recreate his magic, even kids in Zimbabwe know who he is and even they try to bowl leg spin.

He's an iconic cricketer no matter where your are, and what he has done for the game is indispesible.
He is iconic and I have no doubt abt that.

But seriously, u say he REVIVED leg spin in Zim? So how did Paul Strang get inspired to bowl leg spin then?

Just because ppl are copying his action and style across the world doesn't mean he revived the art of leg spin... There are folks who bowl like Murali and bat like Lara in India, so shall we say that Murali revived the art of off-spin and Lara revived the art of batting in India? 8-)