• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting Bats on the AFL Footy Show

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, he looked none too pleased given he wasn't wearing much, if any, protective gear, hadn't touched a bat in three months by his own admission, and then they were trying to take his head off!

iamdavid

International Debutant
And Brown was a very promising cricketer in his younger days opened the bowling in first grade at about 17 I believe.
But still, even wearing a suit and not having batted in 3 months, amazing how ordinary the best batsman in the world can look against a bunch of jokers.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not making excuses for Ponting, but Brayshaw said something later about how he'd also found it very difficult to pick up the ball out of the hand against the dark background with the lighting they had set up, so Punter was probably on a hiding to nothing...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And Brown was a very promising cricketer in his younger days opened the bowling in first grade at about 17 I believe.
But still, even wearing a suit and not having batted in 3 months, amazing how ordinary the best batsman in the world can look against a bunch of jokers.
For Ponting's sake, I hope not!

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why not? They'd been hard at it for the best part of a year by the end of the World Cup, and they're playing something like (off the top of my head) 18 Tests, plus a swag of ODIs and a er um, very worthwhile, 20Twenty World Cup in 12 months from September. He might as well take a good break before resuming training a month or two out from the 20Twenty thingy.

The big challenge for the Aussie team over the next period will be keeping their best team consistently on the park...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't expect him to be in full-on training but you can't be a professional cricketer and go 3 full months without once picking-up a bat IMO. Totally laissez-faire.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I guess its a personal thing in the end, and I reckon Ponting knows what he needs to do to have himself right. If he felt he needed the break, then its good he's had it. He might be rusty for a little while, but the mental rejuvenation is probably at least as important in his case...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jono Brown was a gun cricketer when he was younger actually, so no surprise that given Ponting had no equipment on, and Brown was literally bowling it out of a huge set of lights, that he troubled Ricky.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess its a personal thing in the end, and I reckon Ponting knows what he needs to do to have himself right. If he felt he needed the break, then its good he's had it. He might be rusty for a little while, but the mental rejuvenation is probably at least as important in his case...
Hmm, he might think he knows what's best and he might (as we almost all do) think "ah, got aaaaaaaaaages off, don't need to worry too much yet..." and that "yet" drags on.

It's fine to have 3 weeks or so off from batting, but after that, IMO you should make sure you grab your bat and a bowling-machine and have one or two hits a week without fail.

And it's even more important for a bowler to keep bowling.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I assume you know what Ponting is required to do training wise from your extensive Domestic & International career?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Everyone is different in what they need to get ready. If Ponting thought he needed a break, he is experienced enough to know what he needs to do to get ready. If he starts playing in the next match and looks rusty, then we can have a go at him.

He is far and away the best batsman in the world, I think he knows enough to realize what he needs to do. Mental rejuvination in international cricket is at least as important as being physically there. And being in the fantastic physical shape Ponting is in, I wouldn't really worry about it if I was Australian.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brown's the big fella who bowled first up? Definitely looks to have something about him. Height & a bit of pace too. Probably one of those hateful gets who're brilliant at anything they turn their hand to.

Who's Punter's AFL team, btw?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The AFL guys worked well in tandem. The guy who bowled first up, generated all the heat and bounce stuck Punter on the backfoot, then the McVeigh guy follows up with a delivery that Ponting really should be getting forward to but alas he gets bowled trying to play him off the backfoot. Top bowling… :)

howardj

International Coach
I don't expect him to be in full-on training but you can't be a professional cricketer and go 3 full months without once picking-up a bat IMO. Totally laissez-faire.
Rest easy mate.

As a batsman, Punter is half-man, half-machine.

Machines don't need practice.

Just flick the on switch.

sideshowtim

Banned
The thing that worried me most about Punter on the AFL footy show, was not his batting (because anyone who thinks anything can be taken from his batting form in a game of hit and giggle against some amateurs is downright dumb), but the fact that he said he's busy with cricket now but he'd love to do something with the Kangas "after a couple of years". This suggests to me he has retirement in mind....Oh god I hope not :(