Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Found This Very Interesting

still scratching around in the same old hole

I Found This Very Interesting

No names will be included here as it was told to me in confidence.

I was chatting to a mate of mine who is an ex-test player and the conversation got around to players that were idiots.

To cut a long story short he said that players that incur injuries in the nets (especially blows to the helmet) usually haven't and that it is a well used excuse for a player getting beaten up or being involved ina bar brawl.

Its an easy way to prevent the press finding out and to cover up the real story for the injuries.

He mentioned 2 guys that he played with that this excuse was used for and therefore kept in house.

As he said "We never bounce in nets as it can leave you a man down on tour"

So the next time you hear of a player returning home or missing a test due to being hit in the nets think twice
    Last edited by Goughy; 10-08-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Mark Vermeulen, and he certainly seems the type to get into a stupid fight. Fits in with the theme of "players who were idiots" as well!
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

Think Vermeulen's probably got a borderline personality disorder to be honest, so he's waaaay beyond the usual "sports star being a tool" gubbins.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Mark Vermeulen, and he certainly seems the type to get into a stupid fight. Fits in with the theme of "players who were idiots" as well!
    More than a little out of order when the majority of his troubles (all the key ones, anyway) have happened after his skull was fractured twice. Maybe you should keep your ideas on mental health to yourself if you're that sympathetic to people with mental problems.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Thought he was currently in some sort of custody?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    No names will be included here as it was told to me in confidence.

I was chatting to a mate of mine who is an ex-test player and the conversation got around to players that were idiots.

To cut a long story short he said that players that incur injuries in the nets (especially blows to the helmet) usually haven't and that it is a well used excuse for a player getting beaten up or being involved ina bar brawl.

Its an easy way to prevent the press finding out and to cover up the real story for the injuries.

He mentioned 2 guys that he played with that this excuse was used for and therefore kept in house.

As he said "We never bounce in nets as it can leave you a man down on tour"

So the next time you hear of a player returning home or missing a test due to being hit in the nets think twice
    TBH I can't think of all that many cases in my lifetime of players who've been said to have been hit in the head in the nets.

In the arms and knees, yeah. Head, no.

Am open to the memory being jogged, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Thought he was currently in some sort of custody?
    How does that detract from my point though? He's the only player I can recall, off the top of my head, to claim to have been hit in the nets - hence I thought he might be one of the players Goughy's friends were referring to (especially since the topic strayed from "cricketers who were idiots" - a topic which could quite conceivably have Vermeulen's name appear during).

Quote Originally Posted by HDS
    More than a little out of order when the majority of his troubles (all the key ones, anyway) have happened after his skull was fractured twice. Maybe you should keep your ideas on mental health to yourself if you're that sympathetic to people with mental problems.
    And again, with this post, I think people may have missed my point entirely. I wasn't having a dig at his mental condition - merely pointing out that he had indeed claimed to be hit in the nets (by Travis Friend IIRC) and would be one likely to be mentioned alongside "players who were idiots" due to his recent headlining actions.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 10-08-2007 at 05:39 PM.

How does that detract from my point though? He's the only player I can recall, off the top of my head, to claim to have been hit in the nets - hence I thought he might be one of the players Goughy's friends were referring to (especially since the topic strayed from "cricketers who were idiots" - a topic which could quite conceivably have Vermeulen's name appear during).
    Have just re-read the exchange, thought you were suggesting Kev was speaking to Vermeulen. Not neccessarily the case. My mistake.

Have just re-read the exchange, thought you were suggesting Kev was speaking to Vermeulen. Not neccessarily the case. My mistake.
    Right, okay. In answer to your question though, he isn't in custody - he's out on bail and actually played a bit of club cricket a few months back.

I can recall a few Test players (mainly bowlers) getting broken fingers, wrists etc in nets, but not many head blows.

On the other hand, on the AFL Footy Show this week they had Ricky Ponting as a guest and decided to do a "joke" net session with Ponting batting to some AFL players, and Jonathon Brown (for non-Aussies, a star of Aussie Rules footy, he's about 6'8" and would way 100kg) decided to come in off the long run and nearly copped Ponting on the head. Punter didn't look too happy given he only had gloves and the bat and had only had one sighter beforehand - that would have been embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Didn't Lou Vincent miss the world cup after being hit in nets?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Didn't Lou Vincent miss the world cup after being hit in nets?
    Missed most of it due to a fractured wrist sustained by facing Bond in the nets, yes.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

And again, with this post, I think people may have missed my point entirely. I wasn't having a dig at his mental condition - merely pointing out that he had indeed claimed to be hit in the nets (by Travis Friend IIRC) and would be one likely to be mentioned alongside "players who were idiots" due to his recent headlining actions.
    There's a picture of him after the first hit, during the 2003 WC, in the nets, with the Zim physio standing over him, Vermeulen clutching his skull. I don't think he made that up. Some of the injuries he has suffered in recent years, like breaking his arm punching the wall of the dressing room, might have been, I don't want to speculate about it.

I can't remember one case of a player going home due to being "hit in the head in the nets". When Ponting was in a barfight, they didn't cover that up, the media were all over it.

Same with Fredalo, probably because the fans and media actually saw it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information