Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aussie World Cup Squad

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

Aussie World Cup Squad

As expected, no Steve Waugh, but Hogg in preference to Hauritz and Symonds ahead of Blewett surprise me!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Rik
    Here's the full squad:

lAussie WC Squad

Maybe someone can write it up in full if they can be arsed...it's 2:32am and I blatently can't.

Yeah that is an odd squad...and not as strong as some of the previous Aussie Squads I might add. Brad Hogg and Andy Symonds are quite odd choices in my opinion.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Rik
    Hang on...I just noticed that they picked 2 Keepers in the Provisional 30...and picked neither for the World Cup 15...who's the backup keeper? Langer could have been but he wasn't picked either...I knew something was missing...

They must feel they wont need a back up keeper its not that supprising.

Squad looks pritty much as expected dont know why all you english though Blewett was going to get a place.

I am disapointed M.Clark was not selected and I would have taken Huritz instead of Hogg.

U19 Cricketer
    Originally posted by Rik
    Hang on...I just noticed that they picked 2 Keepers in the Provisional 30...and picked neither for the World Cup 15...who's the backup keeper? Langer could have been but he wasn't picked either...I knew something was missing...
    probably Ponting. I reckon its a good choice if because they'll gain more by having a backup batsmen in Maher than a backup keeper in Campbell/Haddin.

But please, someone tell me what is the deal with Brad Hogg. Why all of a sudden this new found infatuation with him.

"his performances over the past few years" haven't really been that good:
    2002/03 - 3 matches, 2inns-0no-60runs. 21overs-0mdns-1wkt-89runs.
    2001/02 - 10 matches, 9inns-4no-128runs. 57.1overs-0mdns-12wkts-307runs.
    2000/01 - 11 matches, 8inns-5no-131runs. 63.4overs-0mdns-11wkts-362runs.

24 matches, 19inns, 9no, 319runs at 31.9. 141.5overs, 0 mdns, 24 wkts at 31.58. E/R: 5.33.

his now a batting all rounder, as his bowling is very rank ordinary indeed, and his performances haven't really been that great. If Warne goes down and his our spin bowler then were in more trouble than what i thought.

Added to that - he is over 30 now, and has run his race.

Hauritz would've been a much better option IMO, or going with another quick bowler such as Noffke or Bracken.

U19 Cricketer
    Well i'm gland that Watson is in the team who i think is a great propect. Hauritz should have been in the team though, he has done well in the matches he played , didn't he??.
    Symond has got another chance, he's not much of a bowler, but is a brillinat fielder!

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Hmmmmmm......

Yeah, I don't know about Hogg or Symo. Sure, they're good prospects, but would you have the confidence to pick them to play in the World Cup Final if you needed to???

Oh, and just to prove how strong Aussie cricket is, here's a team of the fellas who missed out...

M.Waugh
    Langer
    Blewett
    Love
    Clarke
    S.Waugh
    Campbell
    I. Harvey
    N.Hauritz
    Noffke
    Bracken
    Williams

Damn that's good.... who's up for an Australia vs Australia A match????

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Originally posted by MrPerko

M.Waugh
    Langer
    Blewett
    Love
    Clarke
    S.Waugh
    Campbell
    I. Harvey
    N.Hauritz
    Noffke
    Bracken
    Williams

Oops..... I failed maths in year 3.

Love can be 12th man.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    The Aussies seem to not pick youngsters in the fifth test they pick Williams and not Rofe surely they should give a chance to some younger players

Originally posted by chris.hinton
    The Aussies seem to not pick youngsters in the fifth test they pick Williams and not Rofe surely they should give a chance to some younger players
    Its a delema they face because there are soo many good players in the domestic set up who have been pusing there case for so long.

For example its hard to say no to say somone like Maher and just give somone like Cark a go after one good season.

Rik
    Originally posted by Eclipse
    Its a delema they face because there are soo many good players in the domestic set up who have been pusing there case for so long.

For example its hard to say no to say somone like Maher and just give somone like Cark a go after one good season.
    Yeah but picking Williams is quite odd, he hasn't really stood up and made people notice this season. Bracken or Noffke really should have been picked.

Consistency of selection I presume. Williams went out to Pakistan as cover, so they view him as the 5th Pace Bowler.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by chris.hinton
    It hasn't hurt them of late, has it?

I think the activities of a certain forum member led us to thinking Blewett ought to be in the squad... though picking Hogg & Symonds seems to be a touch surprising if there are a couple of injuries to the bowling department.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Rik
    Well yes the bowling does look a little weak if there is an injury. I don't know what the selectors have against Harvey, but I thought they had come to the conclusion that Symonds wasn't a good enough bowler to take the All-Rounder spot when they picked Watson.

It's kinda interisting though, that Watson has an inferior bowling record to Symonds in ODIs.

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    It hasn't hurt them of late, has it?

I think the activities of a certain forum member led us to thinking Blewett ought to be in the squad...
    Which forum member would that be?

Come on, own up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information