• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you thought wouldn't make it.

cover drive man

International Captain
In contrast to the Players you thought would make it thread this is Players you thought wouldn't make it.

I think Kevin Pieterson.

archie mac

International Coach
After watching Mark Taylor in his first Test inings I thought his reflexes far too slow for an opener. He was yorked twice (the first was called a no-ball) by Ambrose and was very late both times. Just a little off the mark!:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andrew Flintoff, Andrew Symonds (in ODIs) are the only ones I can think of that I've been wrong about.

stumpski

International Captain
James Anderson - I thought he was finished after that South African tour tbh.

And I certainly never expected Steve Harmison to take 200 Test wickets, or even 100, based on what I saw in his first few Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison certainly hasn't had a successful Test career IMO, and I was correct to not think he'd ever do a lot if you ask me.

stumpski

International Captain
There's probably ammunition for a new thread, but it's possible to argue that any of England's one-, two- or three-cap wonders (take your pick: Watkin, Bicknell, Igglesden, Benjamin, Williams, McCague etc etc) could have done just as well if they'd also got to play 50-odd Tests. A lot of it is down to luck and the willingness of selectors to persevere with someone after an indifferent start. Caddick was one who made a very poor start to his Test career.

DaViet

Cricket Spectator
i thought zaheer wouldnt make it because of pathan...

I was also darn hopeful watson wouldn't make it, yet they still give him an ozzie contract, ARGHH

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's probably ammunition for a new thread, but it's possible to argue that any of England's one-, two- or three-cap wonders (take your pick: Watkin, Bicknell, Igglesden, Benjamin, Williams, McCague etc etc) could have done just as well if they'd also got to play 50-odd Tests. A lot of it is down to luck and the willingness of selectors to persevere with someone after an indifferent start. Caddick was one who made a very poor start to his Test career.
Caddick still had some success in his Test career, though, far more so than Harmison (and that is reflected in their career averages, 29.91 plays 33.48, though those averages tell you little about the two bowlers' careers, needing closer examination) even though I most certainly always felt he could have done so much more (and the same applies to any number of other England seamers of the 1990s - Fraser, Gough, Cork, Headley, White - all had careers of some note, but could have been much better).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see how someone with a First-Class batting-average over 50 (to name only the most notable of his achievements to date) isn't being pretty good TBH.

I'm increasingly realising how much flak Watson appears to get, and it seems to beggar belief to me.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Geez, I never knew his average was that high. But in all fairness to myself (and other Watson haters), just like Atherton's test average is what it is. Watson's career can't be measured in his statistics.

(Sorry Rich, had to go for the juggular there :mellow: )

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Paul Collingwood, Ashwell Prince, Michael Clarke, Ashley Giles.

Anyone care to mention Bracken or Clark?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well TBH I always fancied Bracken in ODIs and Clark in Tests - but not the other way around. :p

BTW, Nath, are you still hopeful of Bracken Test success?