• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giles retires

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think he would from India, TBH, they've struggled for openers every bit as much as West Indies.

Look, Campbell wasn't a World-beater but it never ceased to amaze me that he didn't have more of a career than he did - at one point he was averaging 36, which by West Indian opening standards is pretty good, and just 2 terrible series (his last 2) dragged this down. Same with Adams, he was a fine player until the 2000 and 2000\01 seasons. I don't think this was terminal in either case, and had they been given more chances (which they weren't) I think things would have looked-up again.

As for Raza, it's not just that one dismissal, I've seen it several times and seen several other examples in him of just lack of basic skills, meaning he can have all the application and sense you want, he'll still not get too far. BTW, seem to recall Thorpe had his hand broken in said game - hardly comparable to Raza being struck a glancing blow on the shoulder. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Late reply on this, but I'll miss Gilo. The sunnies, the fact he looked like a 40+ year old playing cricket with grey bits in his hair, and the fact that he is still a better allrounder than Andrew Flintoff in International Cricket Captain will always result in him being someone I won't forget.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm guessing the sig stays then?

As for the hair - you don't remember the highlights of 2003? Made him one of the better-looking lads in the team IMO.

(No Geg at present :ph34r: But yeah, I am going out this evening AAMOF)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think he would from India, TBH, they've struggled for openers every bit as much as West Indies.

Look, Campbell wasn't a World-beater but it never ceased to amaze me that he didn't have more of a career than he did - at one point he was averaging 36, which by West Indian opening standards is pretty good, and just 2 terrible series (his last 2) dragged this down. Same with Adams, he was a fine player until the 2000 and 2000\01 seasons. I don't think this was terminal in either case, and had they been given more chances (which they weren't) I think things would have looked-up again.

As for Raza, it's not just that one dismissal, I've seen it several times and seen several other examples in him of just lack of basic skills, meaning he can have all the application and sense you want, he'll still not get too far. BTW, seem to recall Thorpe had his hand broken in said game - hardly comparable to Raza being struck a glancing blow on the shoulder. :p
Adams may have been prematurely dropped, but from all reports he was never the same batsman after being sconed beautifully at the top of his form, and from then on he struggled big time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO that's a load of old hog-you-know-what. Adams being struck happened in the (English) summer of 1995. Yet his peak had already passed, his previous series (THAT series at home to Australia) had been a decidedly middling one.

Adams' career was one of three parts IMO, not two: the first (short) one where he was sensational; the bulk which was fairly middling; and the utterly wretched conclusion.

What I've always thought, though, is that it's a shame that was the conclusion, as I reckon the previous part was good enough to suggest he could've come back well given he was aged just 32, and had been a good player for a time.

That the likes of Ryan Hinds were picked instead was, to me, a travesty - and bear in mind Hinds was pretty much the best of those who were picked around that time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
That the likes of Ryan Hinds were picked instead was, to me, a travesty - and bear in mind Hinds was pretty much the best of those who were picked around that time.
Hinds himself has been treated fairly harshly though, IMO. Given some of the players who have played for the West Indies especially in recent times, he really should have played more than he did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Abso-damn-lutely. Selectorial merry-go-round is one of the things that's contributed to West Indies' problems. That Hinds and Collins have been excluded at several of the times they have, really, beggars belief.