Cricket Betting Site Betway

Thread: aussie academy tours india.

International Captain

aussie academy tours india.

Hilditch picks 13-man squad for tour to India

Harris and Simpson benefit from Academy changes

Cricinfo staff

August 8, 2007

South Australia's Ryan Harris will spend the next three weeks in India after being picked in the Centre of Excellence squad © Getty Images

The selection of the Australia A squad for Pakistan and three suspensions have forced a series of reshuffles for the Centre of Excellence's three-week tour to India starting on Friday. Luke Ronchi, Cullen Bailey and Dan Cullen have been promoted after spending the winter at the Academy while Mark Cosgrove, David Warner and Aaron Finch were not considered after being punished for continually untidy rooms during their stays in Brisbane.

Grant Sullivan, the Queensland fast bowler, has been ruled out with a shin problem, leaving Andrew Hilditch, the chairman of selectors, to look to the first-class players Ryan Harris and Chris Simpson to fill two gaps. Michael Hill and Phillip Hughes, the impressive young batsmen who were part of the Emerging Players Tournament, and Steve Smith have also been added to the 13-man squad.

"Steve is an exciting 18-year-old legspinning allrounder, who along with Hughes and Hill is expected to come into contention for a spot in the 2008 Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia," Brian McFadyen, the interim head coach, said. The squad will leave on Friday to prepare for the five-match series in Chennai involving the Punjab, Andhra, and Tamil Nadu Cricket Association President's XI teams. The three-day games are planned between August 16 and September 3.

McFadyen said the tournament was a great opportunity to experience high-quality opponents in unfamiliar conditions. "The tour is the pinnacle of the programme," he said, "and is seen by Cricket Australia as an important element in the pathway to becoming an international cricketer."

Simpson was the leading spin bowler in the FR Cup last season with 16 wickets at 28.37. "We didn't have a tour the year I spent at the Academy so this will be a bit of a thrill,'' Simpson said. "It's going to be interesting for me as a slow bowler seeing how I adapt to the conditions."

Academy squad Ed Cowan (NSW), Ben Cutting (Qld), Brendan Drew (Tas), Shawn Gillies (WA), Ryan Harris (SA), Aaron Heal (WA), Michael Hill (Vic), Phillip Hughes (NSW), Craig Philipson (Qld), Luke Pomersbach (WA), Chris Simpson (Qld), Steve Smith (NSW), Matthew Wade (Vic).

© Cricinf

No Moey? Aww

Still looking forward to the Aussie A/Academy games though. Love it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Good to see Phillipson in the side, hopefully he can be a consistent performer this year for QLD.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Request Your Custom Title Now! NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Good to see Phillipson in the side, hopefully he can be a consistent performer this year for QLD.
    That's exactly what I was going to say when I noticed he was selected too. Pomersbach has something about him too IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to say when I noticed he was selected too. Pomersbach has something about him too IMO.
    Good to see he's not out of the selectors' minds. He really needed a good season last year but didn't deliver. Hopefully this season.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    No Moey? Aww

Still looking forward to the Aussie A/Academy games though. Love it.
    Moses playing A's i think. Disappointed no Peter Forrest in the squad personally. Also love to see Tom Cooper. I guess Smith, Cowan and Hughes is decent enough from NSW.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

I went to high school with Pete Forrest Plays for my local area in club too. Legend. I was glad to see him do well in his first FC match last season. Would've been nice to see him in the squad, I agree. Alot of competition for places in sides like this...

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Moses playing A's i think. Disappointed no Peter Forrest in the squad personally. Also love to see Tom Cooper. I guess Smith, Cowan and Hughes is decent enough from NSW.
    Didn't see him in the A-team. Is he injured or something?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Didn't see him in the A-team. Is he injured or something?
    Either that or Shawn Gillies is Australia's next Keith Miller

International Captain
    moises henriques was only a part time scholar whereas gillies is a full time scholar,thats the difference,still they should have picked him its only a 13 man squad.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Either that or Shawn Gillies is Australia's next Keith Miller
    Lol. Gillies aint bad, but I'd prefer Moey in the side, he's younger blood and more talented...I really hope he plays more for the Blues this year.

I think Cooper is better than Hughes. But Phil Hughes has had a wrap on him since being 12 years old.

International Captain
    Will be interesting if jaques goes on test duty who will get the nod.
    Gotta say smith's selection is a fore runner of him being picked in the australia under 19 side,he may also get a chance with the blues if haurie and casson don't fire.
    Henriques has his one day place but will have to work hard to displace lamber who had a good season last season.
    Hughes averaged 39 in the academy series was our 2nbd best batsmen behind ronchi,boy will he ever have a good world cup.

Request Your Custom Title Now! NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    Will be interesting if jaques goes on test duty who will get the nod.
    Gotta say smith's selection is a fore runner of him being picked in the australia under 19 side,he may also get a chance with the blues if haurie and casson don't fire.
    Henriques has his one day place but will have to work hard to displace lamber who had a good season last season.
    Hughes averaged 39 in the academy series was our 2nbd best batsmen behind ronchi,boy will he ever have a good world cup.
    I hope he doesn't make the test squad. He goes through too many poor patches, and his fielding isn't good. Of course when in form he's excellent, but I would much rather Hussey opening with Hodge into the middle order.

Definately exciting times at NSW this upcoming year though.

Cricket Spectator
    no moises? oh man

As for jaques, I agree with yu nufan, but I rather see him there and hussey in the middle, hussey can adapt well, but from what I saw in hodge at test level, he can lose his head too easily

Thread Information