• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anybody know how fast, the fastest ball on record was.

stumpski

International Captain
It is believed that Jeff Thomson may have bowled some balls at over 100 mph in the 1974-75 Ashes series. Bowling speeds were not displayed back then. Certainly he was timed at 99 mph in tests (as opposed to Tests) and the sight of a Pommie batsman at the other end might have put an extra couple of mph into the delivery. :)

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
:O, BTW I've got a book on cricket records, and a batting team got 6 byes, its the only on record, he bowled a bouncer that fast, it went over the boundray without the batsmen touching it, I'll type the book up later, and post it in a new thread.

iamdavid

International Debutant
:O, BTW I've got a book on cricket records, and a batting team got 6 byes, its the only on record, he bowled a bouncer that fast, it went over the boundray without the batsmen touching it, I'll type the book up later, and post it in a new thread.
:O I'd heard of him half-volleying the sightscreen at Perth but never knew he'd actually got it over the rope on the full.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Would have to be a beamer.....
:laugh: with short boundaries down the ground!

That fastest ball in the youtube clip was just so easy for Knight to play, I guess he was one of the top 2 openers in the World in the 1995 to present era. :dry:

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Would have to be a beamer.....
Then it would have been five no-balls or five wides; you can only get six for clearing the boundary if the ball has been hit. Common misconception to be honest, always good to clear it up... not as common as the Mankading law misconceptions however...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Then it would have been five no-balls or five wides; you can only get six for clearing the boundary if the ball has been hit. Common misconception to be honest, always good to clear it up... not as common as the Mankading law misconceptions however...
actually, I am not very clear abt that one too...

It would be nice if u can post some clarifications regarding the Mankadding law... What was allowed and what wasn't etc.... And I reckon now it has simply been taken out, right?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
actually, I am not very clear abt that one too...

It would be nice if u can post some clarifications regarding the Mankadding law... What was allowed and what wasn't etc.... And I reckon now it has simply been taken out, right?
Current state of the Mankading law is: once the bowler has entered his delivery stride, the non-striker can do whatever he likes - so, if the non-striker is quick between the wickets, he can be a good three strides down the wicket before the bowler has made front-foot contact and let go of the ball. If he then stops and takes the bails off it's dead ball: no warnings, no nothing.

Basically what it means is that there should be absolutely no way anyone should ever be Mankaded unless they are truly brain-dead and just standing outside of their crease as the bowler runs up.

Law Reference 42.15
The bowler is permitted, before entering his delivery stride, to attempt to run out the non-striker. The ball shall not count in the over.
The umpire shall call and signal Dead ball as soon as possible if the bowler fails in the attempt to run out the non-striker.

Law Reference Appendix D
Delivery stride is the stride during which the delivery swing is made, whether the ball is released or not.
It starts when the bowler's back foot lands for that stride and ends when the front foot lands in the same stride.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Current state of the Mankading law is: once the bowler has entered his delivery stride, the non-striker can do whatever he likes - so, if the non-striker is quick between the wickets, he can be a good three strides down the wicket before the bowler has made front-foot contact and let go of the ball. If he then stops and takes the bails off it's dead ball: no warnings, no nothing.

Basically what it means is that there should be absolutely no way anyone should ever be Mankaded unless they are truly brain-dead and just standing outside of their crease as the bowler runs up.

Law Reference 42.15
The bowler is permitted, before entering his delivery stride, to attempt to run out the non-striker. The ball shall not count in the over.
The umpire shall call and signal Dead ball as soon as possible if the bowler fails in the attempt to run out the non-striker.

Law Reference Appendix D
Delivery stride is the stride during which the delivery swing is made, whether the ball is released or not.
It starts when the bowler's back foot lands for that stride and ends when the front foot lands in the same stride.
Thanks, Neil. :)

what was the earlier rule, though? That is the one I am really not clear about...