• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Venkatesh Prasad as Bowling Coach

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What do you think of his performance, how much credit does he deserve for the way Indian bowlers have bowled in this series ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Impossible to tell. But as long as they are bowling well, I have no problems :). He seemed to be an intelligent guy, but obviously I don't know his previous coaching qualifications.

adharcric

International Coach
Prasad has a Level-III ECB coaching certificate so he is qualified in that sense. The under-19 seamers fared very well under his tutelage and he is fairly highly reputed from what I've heard. Of course, it's hard to judge his current impact but RP Singh has bowled in the right areas despite this being his first trip to England. That suggests that Prasad is doing his job so far ... I guess. Time will tell, really.

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
Well Zaheer bowled really well, RP Singh bowled well... BUT Sreesanth bowled as poorly as I've ever seen.

That boy has more talent than the other two together...just needs to get it right.

pup11

International Coach
Well Zaheer bowled really well, RP Singh bowled well... BUT Sreesanth bowled as poorly as I've ever seen.

That boy has more talent than the other two together...just needs to get it right.
Yeah, Sreesanth has talent but he is a complete idiot and Prasad can't do anything about
that.:laugh:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sreesanth did not bowl poorly, it just wasn't his test. He was getting late swing at times but sadly, most of it was to a well settled Vaughan. If he had persisted with his line and length, he may have picked up a few wickets.

Prasad seems to be doing a fine job and I believe that such a bowler who used to out-think batsman is more ideal than one who used their natural talent (Allan Donald) as a coach. Was it just a coincidence that one of India's best bowling performances happened with him as bowling coach? Only time will tell...

FRAZ

International Captain
I have always been an advocate of fast bowling and see this is what the difference is between an average touring team (India pre 2000) and a superb team (India now) .. This is what we need tbh ! Was sick and tired of the lame and lengthy comments by nerds especialy that Mr Burns avatar guy who talks uselessly and just wants to practice his English by quoting and re-quoting again and again where in his conversations he puts Shoaib Akhtar inferior to Irfan Pathan and sooooooo easily !!!!

pasag

RTDAS
I have always been an advocate of fast bowling and see this is what the difference is between an average touring team (India pre 2000) and a superb team (India now) .. This is what we need tbh ! Was sick and tired of the lame and lengthy comments by nerds especialy that Mr Burns avatar guy who talks uselessly and just wants to practice his English by quoting and re-quoting again and again where in his conversations he puts Shoaib Akhtar inferior to Irfan Pathan and sooooooo easily !!!!
No insults thanks, Fraz.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, using the other comp eh Craig?

Be interesting to get someone to IP-trace the two of us now...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Bump - what do people think - has he transformed India's quicks into reverse swinging machines or is he merely riding on naturally occuring success? It is clear that Indian fast bowling has been on the up since he took over as bowling coach. On my favourite topic which is pace, there has been a clear improvement. Ishant Sharma has come along from a bowler capable of touching 135kph in his stride to one who consistently bowls over 140kph with the new ball. Zaheer Khan has suddenly rediscovered the ability to deliver the odd delivery at up to 144kph, and Munaf Patel no longer strays down to 125kph even when concentrating on accuracy, as he does in the ODI format. Munaf Patel has come back to form in ODI cricket, Ishant and Zaheer have become a potent Test cricket partnership and RP Singh and Irfan Pathan were superb in Australia and over all of this has been the mastery of reverse swing.

Is this the work of Prasad or is he overcredited for actually doing little to nothing at all?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bump - what do people think - has he transformed India's quicks into reverse swinging machines or is he merely riding on naturally occuring success? It is clear that Indian fast bowling has been on the up since he took over as bowling coach. On my favourite topic which is pace, there has been a clear improvement. Ishant Sharma has come along from a bowler capable of touching 135kph in his stride to one who consistently bowls over 140kph with the new ball. Zaheer Khan has suddenly rediscovered the ability to deliver the odd delivery at up to 144kph, and Munaf Patel no longer strays down to 125kph even when concentrating on accuracy, as he does in the ODI format. Munaf Patel has come back to form in ODI cricket, Ishant and Zaheer have become a potent Test cricket partnership and RP Singh and Irfan Pathan were superb in Australia and over all of this has been the mastery of reverse swing.

Is this the work of Prasad or is he overcredited for actually doing little to nothing at all?
One qualifying statement- their pace bowling was beyond shocking against South Africa this year, from RP and Sreesanth. I'm sure he's helped to some extent, it's not really possible to tell by how much.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
One qualifying statement- their pace bowling was beyond shocking against South Africa this year, from RP and Sreesanth. I'm sure he's helped to some extent, it's not really possible to tell by how much.
Itbt, Sreesanth is not the best of Test bowlers and his FC records justify that. RP Singh is also not a great Test bowler, he's never been too inspirational over a long period of time.