• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Angry Langer Lashes Out

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,5756072-23209,00.html

Oh, puh-LEASE! I can tell you with a clairvoyant-like certainty that next time there is a disputed catch against Justin Langer, even if he actually thinks he's out, there is NO WAY he will walk. Justin Langer is one of the hardest competitors Australia has (not to mention one of the team's biggest cry-babies if a decision is given against what he wants, regardless of whether he's out or not) and I can tell you, he won't walk. Not just because of what he thinks either; the Aussie team have always had a policy of not walking. They believe it's best to let the umpires make the decision, which I happen to agree with. So for Justin to then criticise Hussain for not walking, is hypocritical in the extreme.

And as for criticising the crowd for booing Brett Lee, well them's the breaks. Maybe he should take a lesson from American baseballers who have to put up with far more belligerent fans than those in Melbourne.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Out of interest, what did you Aussies think of the "catch" off Hussain?

Personally, the highlights I saw suggested it hit the floor.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And that's exactly why the technology needs to improve. In low catches like that, the ball always 'looks' like it hits the ground but that's only because we can't properly see where the fielders' fingers are. So whilst I thought it was probably a clean catch, it was far too difficult to tell.

Either way, Hussain was right to stand his ground. I would have, all of the Aussies would have and you can be DAMN sure Langer would have.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:

And as for criticising the crowd for booing Brett Lee, well them's the breaks. Maybe he should take a lesson from American baseballers who have to put up with far more belligerent fans than those in Melbourne.
Don't seem to remember him criticising the Aussie crowd for shouting at Murali.

Re: Re: Angry Langer Lashes Out

marc71178 said:
Don't seem to remember him criticising the Aussie crowd for shouting at Murali.
Yeah, they are always after Murali, and now when one of their bowler is facing some problem, then Langer shouldn't be too upset over it!

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
OH MY GOSH GUYS!!!
Can't u see the contrast between the way Murali's arms bent compared to Lee's. Murali's is so obviously a throw, photos show it so much, whilst Lee is very debatable and has never been proven whilst Murali does chuck it's only because he has a physical stuff up!!!

Slats4ever said:
OH MY GOSH GUYS!!!
Can't u see the contrast between the way Murali's arms bent compared to Lee's. Murali's is so obviously a throw, photos show it so much, whilst Lee is very debatable and has never been proven whilst Murali does chuck it's only because he has a physical stuff up!!!
The similarity between them that was pointed out earlier was not of identical bowling action, but of some nasty people getting after the bowler in a disgraceful manner. The ICC cleared Murali and as such it should be acceptible to all.If anyone has a problem then it should approach ICC instead of getting after the bowler.

Australian should be the last people who should be making so much fuss , considering that they have been doing the same thing for years!

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
vandemataram said:
The similarity between them that was pointed out earlier was not of identical bowling action, but of some nasty people getting after the bowler in a disgraceful manner. The ICC cleared Murali and as such it should be acceptible to all.If anyone has a problem then it should approach ICC instead of getting after the bowler.

Australian should be the last people who should be making so much fuss , considering that they have been doing the same thing for years!
But isn't there for there "booing" justified. I mean if someone cheats like buggery like Murali he should be bullied by the outta :!( :!( :!( .
BUt if 10 guys on the ICC said binga didn't then they can't complain. Sledge all u like to murali he's a cheat.

Slats4ever said:
But isn't there for there "booing" justified. I mean if someone cheats like buggery like Murali he should be bullied by the outta :!( :!( :!( .

Cheat?? How the hell is he cheating?? The ICC have cleared him and have no problem, the umpires have no problem, and most importantly he isn't conceling his act!

[/QUOTE]
BUt if 10 guys on the ICC said binga didn't then they can't complain. Sledge all u like to murali he's a cheat.
[/QUOTE]

But if the ICC judges said that Murali action is legal then by the same token you can't complain(unless if you have double standard)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I love Aussie Double Standards :)

Langer's just a whinger where it comes to those catches. I'm losing more respect for him each time he does this. I mean, no way in the world would he walk in that situation.

As for Brett and Murali, they've both had trouble with the legality of their actions, they've both been ruled valid by the ICC, so as far as I care then they're valid.

However, this is top-level, high profile world sport. You're going to get abuse for various reasons, whatever. If you're overweight, have a drink problem, gay, controversial, whatever. You'll get it from the crowd whatever. Live with it. It's called mental strength.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Aussies trash talking their rivals is an issue that is atleast 2 or 2 1/2 decades old. The crowd might boo Murali or anyone else because they just don't know better, but that doesn't justify the players doing it. Let's see what the Aussies do in the VB series with the new harsher stand taken by the ICC against abusive sledging. If the ICC clearing Lee is justified, so is Murali's case and that is the only fair way of looking at things.

sasnoz

Banned
im sick of langer i can remember when lara caught him blatanly at first slip and langer didnt walk and lara who is very honest wouldnt cheat,lara had also had a close catch earlier in the series did a butcher, so langers the cheat plus murali does throw but rangatunga keeps ringing the sri lanka prime minister

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I still can't believe there wasn't a full blooded appeal, but then again, under the letter of the law, even the half-hearted one should've been enough to force a decision.

Another case of if only...

chris.hinton

International Captain
Langer should lighten up!!!!!!! The Barmy Army are they to enjoy themselves and have paid good money Mark Waugh was right in the Mirror

Eclipse

International Debutant
Langer did lighten up he went over to a section of the barmy army after the game and signed some autographs.

Also saw him hugging one off them so i think things are fine now.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
Sledge all u like to murali he's a cheat.
Right, so how exactly does he cheat? If you can't help your arm being bent then how are you cheating? As a player it's not your job to decide if you throw or not, it's the authorities.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Langer said that the Barmy Army's chants would just pump Lee up more and make him bowl better...

17-4-70-2 and 27-4-87-1 doesn't really back up his claims. Actually it's Lee's worst bowling of the series.

His stats this series stand at 2 Matches, 82.1 Overs, 12 Maidens, 307 Runs, 8 Wickets at 38.37, Best Bowling 3-78, Strike Rate of 61.6 and Econ Rate of 3.73.

Looks like despite his success in the 2 FC games for NSW, Lee has learnt nothing new about bowling in Tests. I would say that Bichel is now more deserving of a place than Lee. Also odd that they have called up Brad Williams instead of the impressive Bracken and Noffke. Williams looks like another Brett Lee: Fast but nothing else, and a FC average of 30 with the ball doesn't really strike fear into the opposition...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Did I hear right today that the Aussie press had a go at Langer but congratualted the Barmy Army for supporting their team so well in spite of results?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
I thought Langer said that the Barmy Army's chants would just pump Lee up more and make him bowl better...

17-4-70-2 and 27-4-87-1 doesn't really back up his claims. Actually it's Lee's worst bowling of the series.

His stats this series stand at 2 Matches, 82.1 Overs, 12 Maidens, 307 Runs, 8 Wickets at 38.37, Best Bowling 3-78, Strike Rate of 61.6 and Econ Rate of 3.73.

Looks like despite his success in the 2 FC games for NSW, Lee has learnt nothing new about bowling in Tests. I would say that Bichel is now more deserving of a place than Lee. Also odd that they have called up Brad Williams instead of the impressive Bracken and Noffke. Williams looks like another Brett Lee: Fast but nothing else, and a FC average of 30 with the ball doesn't really strike fear into the opposition...
Yes I agree about Lee but in truth you no nothing about Williams I mean who the hell are you Englishmen to talk about avrages look at Trescos FC avrage or Vaughans etc.. Williams is a good bowler hes not just fast and his record is very impresive over the last 3 years. He used to avrage over 40 before he moved to WA about 4 years ago.

No offense but to be it seems you make alot of statments based on very little actualy knowlage of whats going on.