• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Angry Langer Lashes Out

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Yes I agree about Lee but in truth you no nothing about Williams I mean who the hell are you Englishmen to talk about avrages look at Trescos FC avrage or Vaughans etc.. Williams is a good bowler hes not just fast and his record is very impresive over the last 3 years. He used to avrage over 40 before he moved to WA about 4 years ago.

No offense but to be it seems you make alot of statments based on very little actualy knowlage of whats going on.
That's Rik!

chris.hinton

International Captain
Rik said:
I thought Langer said that the Barmy Army's chants would just pump Lee up more and make him bowl better...

17-4-70-2 and 27-4-87-1 doesn't really back up his claims. Actually it's Lee's worst bowling of the series.

His stats this series stand at 2 Matches, 82.1 Overs, 12 Maidens, 307 Runs, 8 Wickets at 38.37, Best Bowling 3-78, Strike Rate of 61.6 and Econ Rate of 3.73.

Looks like despite his success in the 2 FC games for NSW, Lee has learnt nothing new about bowling in Tests. I would say that Bichel is now more deserving of a place than Lee. Also odd that they have called up Brad Williams instead of the impressive Bracken and Noffke. Williams looks like another Brett Lee: Fast but nothing else, and a FC average of 30 with the ball doesn't really strike fear into the opposition...
Rik you seem to be obsessed with Averages, it does not make the players Bradman average lied he should have got over 100

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
That's Rik!
No, that's our Indian friends.

Well let's find out about Williams this season...

Brad Williams has 12 Wickets at 30.75 from 4 Pura Cup Games.

Now compare that with Brett Lee's 21 at 15.66 from 2 and Ashley Noffke's 17 at 23.23 from 4, and it doesn't look that impressive.

Brett Lee has 26 Wickets at 18.42 in all FC Cricket this season...but has taken only 8 Wickets at 38.37 in his 2 Tests. Just because you have done well in the Australian Domestic Competition doesn't mean that you'll shine in the Tests.

12 at 30.75 isn't amazingly bad but there are many other bowlers doing better than Williams.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Those stats you've quoted must be wrong.

How can he have 21 Pura wickets and 8 Test wickets but only 26 in total?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
Rik you seem to be obsessed with Averages, it does not make the players Bradman average lied he should have got over 100
What makes you so certain of this?

And Rik - a huge list of numbers like that proves little. Trescothick and Vaughan had shocking FC averages when they were picked for England. There's so much more to a player than four digits and a decimal point.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Those stats you've quoted must be wrong.

How can he have 21 Pura wickets and 8 Test wickets but only 26 in total?
Well that was his stats before the previous Test. I just forgot to take away his Wickets from that Test but I didn't realise Cricinfo had failed to update.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
What makes you so certain of this?

And Rik - a huge list of numbers like that proves little. Trescothick and Vaughan had shocking FC averages when they were picked for England. There's so much more to a player than four digits and a decimal point.
Yup but if you don't see them play Cricket how else are you supposed to tell?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trust the judgment of those who HAVE seen them play this season. :D

You're right in one sense about Brad Williams; he's not had the best year. But in the three seasons previous, he was one fo the best performing bowlers in Australia:

2001-2002

Pura Cup: 32 wickets at 28.31
ING Cup: 18 wickets at 16.38 at 4.25 RPO.

He missed a lot of the 2000-2001 season only playing 3 Pura Cup Games but in the 1999-2000 season:

Pura Cup: 50 wickets at 23.02

The biggest issue with Brad Williams' career so far is that he's been more injury-prone than Jason Gillespie but he hasn't had one for a while so maybe he'll impress you yet. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
Right, so how exactly does he cheat? If you can't help your arm being bent then how are you cheating? As a player it's not your job to decide if you throw or not, it's the authorities.

Murali does not cheat, but he does have a disability.
I think it was Bishen Bedi who said that a blind man cannot fly a plane, so how can someone with a disabilty in such a vital part of his body be allowed to play top flight sport?

As for Langer, well I remember seeing a bloke in the Aussie crowd hand Pat Symcox what looked like a can of beer, to refresh him during a hot day. It turned out to be full of Urine, so Symmo poured it over this guys head.

My point is i dont think the Aussie crowd are blameless when it comes to abuse etc. and langer NEVER walks..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Murali does not cheat, but he does have a disability.
I think it was Bishen Bedi who said that a blind man cannot fly a plane, so how can someone with a disabilty in such a vital part of his body be allowed to play top flight sport?
I agree with this comment. I believe that if he is so much in love with and committed to cricket, he should learn to bat.

He should not be allowed to bowl at the highest level because his disability gives him an advantage. Some may say that it wouldn't be fair to disallow him but hey, life's not fair!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He should not be allowed to bowl at the highest level because his disability gives him an advantage. Some may say that it wouldn't be fair to disallow him but hey, life's not fair!
Why not ban everyone who's different?
Is the action legal? Yes.