• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Greats" dropped after first Test

stumpski

International Captain
I remember that debut as well - it was at Trent Bridge I think and he started with a very wide wide. The commentators had fun trying to pronounce his middle name.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
West Indies "Greats dropped after debut" ..

Brian Lara (44, 5)
Richie Richardson (0, 26)
Seymour Nurse (70, 11)
Garry Sobers (14*, 26) (4-76, 0-6)
Jimmy Adams (11, 79*)
Andy Roberts (9*, DNB) (1-75, 2-49)

Why would Sobers be dropped after that effort :-O ....he batted at # 9 with an ave of 40.00, while he had 4 wkts @ 20.50....btw, he was then selected as the # 6 in his next test...
Would Jimmy Adams be called a "great"?. Unlucky to be dropped mind you - they would have lost his debut Test (their first v SA) but for that second innings.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Thing is, though, there are circumstances where he is - Stuart Law being a prime example.

Even Strauss - had Hussain been a couple of years younger, there's no way Strauss could possibly have stayed in the side. But it'd be crazy, I think, to describe him as being "dropped" after a debut like that.
Stuart Law was doubly unlucky in that there was another debutant who came into the side for that match - Ricky Ponting - and he did well too (96). If he had failed, he might have got dropped and Law might have stayed in. Steve Waugh was injured but was fit for the next Test and the selectors could have dropped off form David Boon but didn't and that was the end for Stuart...

DaViet

Cricket Spectator
poor stuart, he was really really good

suprises too me have been younis & sobers being dropped. A knighted cricketer was dropped after 1st test, and after THAT performance, man thats slack