• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kerry Packer all over again

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pak cricketers approached to play in Indian league : Geo news
Pak cricketers approached to play in Indian league
KARACHI: The superstars of Pakistan team Shoaib Akhtar, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan, Mohammed Asif, Mohammed Yousuf, Abdur Razzaq and Shoaib Malik have been approached to play in the unofficial Indian cricket league to be launched this year.

According to sources the cricketers would be given Rs20 to Rs80 million to play for three years. It is believed that the offered is being mulled over by Pakistani team.

Pakistani team is the first one whose first-ranked seven players are being offered contract. Prior to this, Inzamamul Haq has also been given the same offer.

Indian cricket league nominated a former captain as its agent to conduct on its behalf. Thus, a clash is being feared to rise between the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and the senior players, as some of the players are unwilling to sign the contract summarily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't agree. Packer wasn't "needed" either, and while some good may come of it if the same thing happens all over again the negatives - as last time - will most likely outweigh the positives.

Beleg

International Regular
i hope they join but i know they probably wont - the government wont allow it

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The way our boards treat their players, I think it is required. But my fears are that it is not going to work.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am actually going to buy a subscription to this if it comes to pass, even though I don't much care for Limited Overs cricket, and even though I probably won't even watch. Just so I can do my bit to stick it to the BCCI. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I've said countless hundreds of times, though, the BCCI now looks likely to be not the only thing to be potentially jeapardised. And while it might be good to see the BCCI undermined in some way, the other things that may suffer certainly are not.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As I've said countless hundreds of times, though, the BCCI now looks likely to be not the only thing to be potentially jeapardised. And while it might be good to see the BCCI undermined in some way, the other things that may suffer certainly are not.
Other things like what?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Umm, Test cricket? Packer ruined that for over 2 years, there now seems substantial evidence that this Indian Cricket Leauge could do the exact same thing.

If there's not yet a gurantee, of course.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Have to disagree. If Test players do in fact retire and go here (I highly doubt this will happen, except those on the verge of retirement), it couldn't be better TBH. BCCI needs a challenge from within, and for the long term future of the game in India, a revolutionary challenge is needed.

I've heard rumors that guys like Fleming might retire and go, but what I want to see is a regular Test player in his prime, maybe from a country that doesn't pay as well, retire to go here. If I were Zee news, I'd pay him extra just to lure him away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So it's worthwhile to ruin Test (and ODI) cricket just for the sake of giving The BCCI a kick? 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So it's worthwhile to ruin Test (and ODI) cricket just for the sake of giving The BCCI a kick? 8-)
Hardly ruins Test cricket. You won't find mass exodus as the players these days are compensated well above what is within the means of ICL to pay.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As long as just a couple of (good) players were lost per team, that'd substantially ruin things, mark my words.

Most people underestimate the impact the loss of just a couple of key personnel will have on ANY team.

Just having 3 or 4 teams, too, lose calibre would undermine the credibility of international cricket, too. TV deals would collapse en-masse; sponsors would drift away within years if that; basically, the game everywhere would be a shambles.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Hardly ruins Test cricket. You won't find mass exodus as the players these days are compensated well above what is within the means of ICL to pay.
The money being offered to Pak players is more than what they would earn with the PCB. Also, if the ICL offers "guaranteed contracts", then the offer becomes even more enticing. You are underestimating the effect this may have on ICC and Test Cricket.