• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Legend In A Limbo

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/current/story/304742.html

Thus Inzamam and Pakistan are both in limbo, stranded between whiles. On merit Inzamam is a shoo-in, yet you wonder how his presence will affect the dynamics of a new side. Nothing is clear save this: the Pakistani cricketer who retires with grace, dignity and at an opportune time has not yet set foot on this earth. He has lingered, he has not been allowed to linger; he is pushed, nudged, intrigued out. Often he is just forgotten. Inzamam is on the verge of joining that crowded fraternity. Perhaps he already has.
This last paragraph really got to me. I know it's been a bit obvious what the PCB is trying to do with Inzamam, but I must say I've been living in denial about it. This is absolutely ridiculous. As the article says, he's averaged 60 in the last 20 Tests, yet the PCB come up with a sorry excuse for not giving him a central contract.

pasag

RTDAS
I can't believe the way guys like Inzamam and Lara have been treated this year. Absolute disgrace, especially with no one really waiting in the wings.

archie mac

International Coach
Yes a bit of a joke, a fine if not great batsman, has always been one of my favourites, all class and has so much time. If he would have run the sharp singles he would average another 15:happy:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Things like this make me really sad. This guy deserves respect, for what he has done for your country.

I am one of his biggest fan and it is really very very dissapointing.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed, after his services to Pakistan cricket for so long, he deserves much better than this. I'd love to see him back in the side even if only to give him a proper farewell series, but I can't see it happening sadly.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Ever since he took over the Captaincy, Inzi has been my favorite cricket by far. I loved his cool in the face of fire. His record shows how vital he's been to Pakistan's win chances. Simply put, if Inzi did well, Pakistan usually won. I also thought he did a good job of uniting the team and earning their respect. Having said all that, I can somewhat understand the predicament that PCB is under. This point in the article summarizes my biggest fear as well:

You can perhaps understand their concern. Inzamam back in the dressing room, unwittingly or otherwise, they feel, will undermine Malik's captaincy.

I know he can still play and probably is still Pakistan's best batsman. I want him to get a proper farewell as well. I just don't know how to do all that without undermining a young captain. I don't think Inzi would purposely undermine Malik, but just his mere presence may cause that. Even Malik would probably defer to him, such is Inzi's stature in the team. My best solution atm is for Inzi to announce a definite retirement date. He needs to forget about making 10,000 runs because he won't get that opportunity. He just needs to say "I'll play for another six months" or something like that. That way, the selectors MAY include him knowing that there is an end in sight. If his retirement date is set, he may not unwillingly undermine Malik by being in the team. Just my opinion.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
@Fusion - I completely disagree with that kind of assessment esp. when Inzi is singled out. IMO players like MoYo, Younis Khan, Akhtar, Afridi etc are going to be bigger problem than Inzi.

I dont think Inzi will ever undermine anyone, on purpose or otherwise, he just does not come across as that sort of person.PCB should trust Pakistan captain and ask him to see if he is comfortable with Inzi in the team, they should call Inzi and have a chat with him about the future of Pakistan Cricket and his future and his role in the team.

I am sure Pakistan will miss him and I hope and wish they do.

Fusion

Global Moderator
@Fusion - I completely disagree with that kind of assessment esp. when Inzi is singled out. IMO players like MoYo, Younis Khan, Akhtar, Afridi etc are going to be bigger problem than Inzi.

I dont think Inzi will ever undermine anyone, on purpose or otherwise, he just does not come across as that sort of person.PCB should trust Pakistan captain and ask him to see if he is comfortable with Inzi in the team, they should call Inzi and have a chat with him about the future of Pakistan Cricket and his future and his role in the team.

I am sure Pakistan will miss him and I hope and wish they do.
I don't think for a moment that Inzi would purposely undermine anyone. However, you have to allow for the possibility that an ex-Captain who was revered by the entire team can have some influence, even without wanting it? I like your idea of having a sit down with both Malik and Inzi though. Set out clear expectations of Inzi's role. In fact, have a sit down with the whole team.

And trust me, Pakistan cricket will miss Inzi. They'll miss him the very first time his bat is not in the lineup!

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know a guy who is pretty close to Inzi and Inzi has mentioned to him that whatever happens the Aus-Pak series in March will be his last series as he wants to dominate Aus atleast once before retiring.