• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you thought would make it

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gus Gilmour and David Hookes.....and of course Graeme Hick...

Oh yeah, Rodney Hogg when he took 41 wkts in his first series, bit never reached those heights again
McKenzie still puzzles me.....

And I thought Balaji would have a pretty decent career, I guess injuries have put paid to that....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Surely You Jest :laugh:

Big "Garth" played in some 60 Tests while taking 246 wickets at 2.49 a piece..16 times took fivefor and 3 times had 10 wicket match hauls.
lol..

I was talking about Neil McKenzie there.... I thought he would make a really good player and thought he would be the next RSA skipper too, after Pollock.....

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol so when they played Australia they were out of form and an inferior attack but against India all of a sudden they've improved heaps. Sometimes you're too much Richard, I think you hold Hayden in such low esteem that you automatically assume the attack is bad because he made runs against them and it's getting abit silly really.
I'm beginning to think that Haydos might just be Australia's most valuable cricketer since Bradman. Not just for the runs he scores, but for his apparently uncanny ability to automatically make opposition bowling attacks worse just by being in the side... ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His value is something I've never once disputed, TBF. He's been one of the heaviest scorers and on the rare occasions he's been worked-out Australia have often floundered.

However, that doesn't change for a second the fact that I believe had he played in most other eras in Test cricket he'd not have done very well. Maybe, then, in such an eventuality, Australia would have been less dominant than they have been in his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yeah, Rodney Hogg when he took 41 wkts in his first series, bit never reached those heights again
Didn't help himself by deciding to go to South Africa and lop off what might, possibly, have been his best years. Same, of course, as Hughes and Yallop (and Wessels, but he was only going back there).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't help himself by deciding to go to South Africa and lop off what might, possibly, have been his best years. Same, of course, as Hughes and Yallop (and Wessels, but he was only going back there).
I don't think any of them lost their very best years, though their exit definitely weakened Australian cricket. Yallop was a fine player though and one I liked a lot, definitely an unlucky and underappreciated one. Hoggy could be devastating, but hadn't been consistently for some years prior to his defection.

The two big losses for me, from a bowling point of view, were Alderman and Rackeman. Alderman was a phenomenon in English conditions and we really missed him in 1985, even given the troubles he'd had coming back from that horrendous shoulder injury.

Rackeman was our fore-runner to Bruce Reid - an outstandingly talented paceman who couldn't stay fit for more than about an hour and a half at a time. He went to SA and took 28 wickets in three "Tests", bowling superbly.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny, I'd never really thought about Rackemann, TBH, probably because he had such a short Test career. Had never noticed Hogg had dropped-out before he decided on Rebel tours either.

Alderman was obviously a huge loss but unlike almost everyone he came back, and his return heralded the march back to the top of the pile, as his performance in 1989 kickstarted the whole thing, really. So I tend to view him as the one happy-ending story of Rebel tours. :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
After watching Anthony Stuart take a hattrick in a ODI against Pakistan (he took the wickets of batsmen not tailenders) I thought he'd have a better career then he did.

Matthew Nicholson is another guy. When he took 7/79 or something like that in a warmup match against England he was seen as the next big thing. Played a couple of tests and I thought we went well in them. Lost form in Shield Cricket and wasn't given another chance.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sadanand vishwanath
maninder singh
laxman sivaramakrishnan

three great talents for india that were criminally wasted...

cover drive man

International Captain
Shaun Udal. I thought we'd have about a year of good bowling from him after watching his first match. But he was too old and rightfully replaced by Monty Panesar.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Rob Key showed some good things out here in 02-03, but hasn't been able to cement a spot.

On the rebel Tour players - Aus lost a young quick called McCurdy, who I know Alan McGilvray rated as a good prospect before he defected.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Couldnt agree more on these two, Richards just looked a class above most of the other Shield batsman even when he wasnt making the runs he should've, he just looked like a test player with his balance/technique and the amount of time he had to play his shots.
Disapointing the way things turned out, Young aswell I thought looked a cut above (in the one day game atleast), he seemed to be able to lift South Australia when he got the ball.
Richards still looks like that when he bats, too - he just never makes any runs. A shame really.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought Rob Key showed some good things out here in 02-03, but hasn't been able to cement a spot.

On the rebel Tour players - Aus lost a young quick called McCurdy, who I know Alan McGilvray rated as a good prospect before he defected.
I didn't know that - from what I saw of Rod McCurdy in the World Series Cup of 1984-85 I didn't think a lot of him. A great trier and 100% effort for sure, but lacked that real wicket taking penetration.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shaun Udal. I thought we'd have about a year of good bowling from him after watching his first match. But he was too old and rightfully replaced by Monty Panesar.
Don't think his age had anything to do with it TBH, was just the fact that a fingerspinner had no chance on wickets like those (as Giles' failures demonstrated).