Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Players you thought would make it

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Ganguly played a fair bit before the attacks became almost-uniformly crap, though.

He hasn't faced all that many good attacks in the last 6 years either, though that SA one in 2006\07 was indeed one. Shame it didn't get a bowl at Hayden.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    The first of those innings was scored on a flat FerozeshahKotla wicket....he shoul;d have made more than 66 there....it's hardly a great efforst.
    The second one was a creditable effort - in fact, it was quite possibly the best innings that ganguly has played !!!!
    The third - please against a highly inexperienced pace attack....he should have cashed in and made a hundred.
    Maybe he might have but for a terrible decision? Inexperienced, incidentally, the attack might have been but it actually still bowled by-and-large very well. Inexperienced does not = not good.
    As I said, more often than not Ganguly has failed against strong attacks and/or faced with conducive bowling conditions.

Ganguly averages 32 against Australia, 28 against Pakistan adn 30- against RSA - three of the stronger bowling attacks in world cricket. He also only averages 28 on those Kiwi greentops.....as I said, an extremely overrated player !!!!!!
    Stereotypes... Pakistan have had weak attacks plenty when he's faced them (usually one, sometimes no, decent seamers), so have Australia, so have South Africa. No-one was ever going to have much of a chance in NZ in 2002\03, and those on his other NZ tour were mostly pretty flat.

Ganguly has not faced strong pace attacks (be it on seamers or seriously powerfol attacks that are effective on any surface) especially often in his career, and not often enough to say he's failed when they came-out to play. Granted, though, that he might have done is not an impossibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Ganguly played a fair bit before the attacks became almost-uniformly crap, though.

He hasn't faced all that many good attacks in the last 6 years either, though that SA one in 2006\07 was indeed one. Shame it didn't get a bowl at Hayden.
    How different (and I'm not saying it was the same, I don't have time to look it up right now!) was it to the SA attack that did get a bowl at Hayden 12 months earlier?
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Hugely. Dale Steyn wasn't even present for starters (with good reason - he was hopeless at that point), Pollock was (terminally, almost everyone thought - 2006\07 proved us wrong) off form, and there was the (IMO small) matter of the spinner - Harris to date has done OK.

Nel was bowling pretty well in 2005\06 but without luck, and Ntini, as ever, blew hot and cold (though he was probably better than ever in 2006\07).

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Could it be that it was the Aussie batting that was making the SA attack look pedestrian?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hugely. Dale Steyn wasn't even present for starters (with good reason - he was hopeless at that point), Pollock was (terminally, almost everyone thought - 2006\07 proved us wrong) off form, and there was the (IMO small) matter of the spinner - Harris to date has done OK.

Nel was bowling pretty well in 2005\06 but without luck, and Ntini, as ever, blew hot and cold (though he was probably better than ever in 2006\07).
    Lol so when they played Australia they were out of form and an inferior attack but against India all of a sudden they've improved heaps. Sometimes you're too much Richard, I think you hold Hayden in such low esteem that you automatically assume the attack is bad because he made runs against them and it's getting abit silly really.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Pollock wasn't merely poor against Australia that series, though, was he?

He'd been poor for the last 4 years, against anyone and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Could it be that it was the Aussie batting that was making the SA attack look pedestrian?
    No, because the bowler has the ball in his hand and hence controls proceedings. If he's good enough, the batsman has no power to make him look pedestrian.

I don't agree with Richard on the whole regarding SA's attack vs. Aus (Ntini and Nel were fine IMO, Aust just handled them well), but he's right about Pollock. There was something wrong about Pollock in both the series he had with Australia.

Yes Australia have the best batting in the world and probably handled him better than India did, but clearly Pollock wasn't right. Yet after his injury lay-off, Pollock came back with a vengeance, and tore India a new one.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Gus Gilmour and David Hookes.....and of course Graeme Hick...

Oh yeah, Rodney Hogg when he took 41 wkts in his first series, bit never reached those heights again

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Gus Gilmour and David Hookes.....and of course Graeme Hick...

Oh yeah, Rodney Hogg when he took 41 wkts in his first series, bit never reached those heights again
    McKenzie still puzzles me.....

And I thought Balaji would have a pretty decent career, I guess injuries have put paid to that....
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    McKenzie still puzzles me.....
    Surely You Jest

Big "Garth" played in some 60 Tests while taking 246 wickets at 2.49 a piece..16 times took fivefor and 3 times had 10 wicket match hauls.
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Surely You Jest

Big "Garth" played in some 60 Tests while taking 246 wickets at 2.49 a piece..16 times took fivefor and 3 times had 10 wicket match hauls.
    lol..

I was talking about Neil McKenzie there.... I thought he would make a really good player and thought he would be the next RSA skipper too, after Pollock.....

Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Surely You Jest

I knew he was good, but not THAT good...

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Lol so when they played Australia they were out of form and an inferior attack but against India all of a sudden they've improved heaps. Sometimes you're too much Richard, I think you hold Hayden in such low esteem that you automatically assume the attack is bad because he made runs against them and it's getting abit silly really.
    I'm beginning to think that Haydos might just be Australia's most valuable cricketer since Bradman. Not just for the runs he scores, but for his apparently uncanny ability to automatically make opposition bowling attacks worse just by being in the side...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information