• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20 overs vs 15 overs

JBMAC

State Captain
No problems. Not a fan of the short game at all to be honest, I struggle to even think of it as cricket. But that's just me - there are plenty on the boards here who don't like Twenty20, but equally there are plenty who do.
:thumbdown to 20/20

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
I like 2020 merely for the fun factor. Dont think it should replace 50 over matches and dont think eight ball overs would be better. IMO 2020 cricket should stay just as a way for cricketers to unwind and have a bit of a laugh.

DCC_legend

International Regular
I like 2020 merely for the fun factor. Dont think it should replace 50 over matches and dont think eight ball overs would be better. IMO 2020 cricket should stay just as a way for cricketers to unwind and have a bit of a laugh.
True dat.

There would be no point in making it 15, 8 ball overs. Similar amount of time in the end and would probably just turn out the same.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I cannot see any valid reason why eight-ball overs would improve anyone's perception of Twenty20 cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Leave 20-20 as it is. It's a bit of fun imo and pretty well harmless.

Can't really see why people are so passsionate about it one way or t'other.

15 x 8 ball overs probably wouldn't do a lot for the game, unles Saj or Anderson were bowling. If they had to bowl 2 more balls per over each, the batting side's score would increase massively.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
20/20 is fine the way it is. It's already way better than ODI (IMO). I don't really think 8 ball overs would bring any additional level of excitement to the game, though I wouldn't really mind new innovative laws being tested out (like players wearing mics during the game).

I am with 'The Sean' though, in that I don't think anything other than Test (and FC) cricket is actually cricket, so as long as the longer version remains pure & compelling, it doesn't really matter to me what happens with the shorter versions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am with 'The Sean' though, in that I don't think anything other than Test (and FC) cricket is actually cricket, so as long as the longer version remains pure & compelling, it doesn't really matter to me what happens with the shorter versions.
I honestly think I'd enjoy Test and FC cricket less if the one-day game didn't exist.

It'd feel really, really weird having just one form of the game existing.

And yes, I'd be perfectly happy if Twenty20 died a death tomorrow. :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I honestly think I'd enjoy Test and FC cricket less if the one-day game didn't exist.

It'd feel really, really weird having just one form of the game existing.

And yes, I'd be perfectly happy if Twenty20 died a death tomorrow. :ph34r:
I'd probably enjoy it more, because the game wouldn't have been muddied by the bad habits and false ideologies that one day cricket has brought us. I enjoy one day cricket as a change of scenery - something that acts as variations and gets you thinking a little differently while still maintaining some guise of cricket - but its effect on test cricket isn't something I see as positive.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There are a lot more results now than in previous years, but part of that is simply due to the overs being bowled, and not necessarily the higher run rate that is the by product of the One Day game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd probably enjoy it more, because the game wouldn't have been muddied by the bad habits and false ideologies that one day cricket has brought us. I enjoy one day cricket as a change of scenery - something that acts as variations and gets you thinking a little differently while still maintaining some guise of cricket - but its effect on test cricket isn't something I see as positive.
No, certainly not. I hate the muddling and the - sometimes - influences the two games have on each other.

But I think I enjoy Tests more when there's been some ODIs on recently (and vice-versa). Good as Tests are, I do enjoy - as you say - a change of scenary from time to time, and I reckon if I didn't get that my enjoyment of Tests might just be reduced.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, certainly not. I hate the muddling and the - sometimes - influences the two games have on each other.

But I think I enjoy Tests more when there's been some ODIs on recently (and vice-versa). Good as Tests are, I do enjoy - as you say - a change of scenary from time to time, and I reckon if I didn't get that my enjoyment of Tests might just be reduced.
Watch football for a change of scenery. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Only works in the winter ITBT. No footy on in the summer.

Anyway, OD cricket > football anyday IMO. I'm nowhere near the football addict I was back in 't day of 1994\95-1998\99.