• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Waugh

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hey... I was just being insanely optimistic :D

I definitely think Dawson got one of the openers yesterday (can't remember who) caught behind but it wasn't given.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Hey... I was just being insanely optimistic :D

I definitely think Dawson got one of the openers yesterday (can't remember who) caught behind but it wasn't given.
Insane is right!!! It doesn't really matter, does it, whether some false decisions were given or not. If Langer had gone cheaply, who's to say that Ponting wouldn't have scored a ton? Or Waugh? Or Love? Or Gilchrist?...Now, that's not being optimistic, it's merely being realistic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
From what I've heard, Langer DEFINITELY nicked one to Foster.

Then he had the gall to criticise Hussain for not walking on the bump catch!

Mind you I also heard he didn't walk because he didn't believe that Foster had held onto one!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Mind you I also heard he didn't walk because he didn't believe that Foster had held onto one! [/B]
If Foster is that bad, why are England persisting with him(Is he from Surrey or something?)? Why don't they try out Read instead?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's one of those England selectors fixed-in-our-heads-he's-test-class-and-the-other-guy-isn't things.

I don't know what Read's going to have to do to make the Test XI because I would definitely have had him in instead of Foster for this match. Guess it dates back to the 2000-01 winter in the Busta Cup with England A where Foster out-batted Read.

Liam, could you shed some light on their performances out there?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems they have the same idea about Dawson...in The Cricketer there was a bit about Nasser saying how impressed he was with Dawson during the tour...before the Test his FC Tour Bowling Average was 78...3 Wickets in 3 Games...:OWOW:O...or not as the case may be

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anilramavarma said:
If Foster is that bad, why are England persisting with him(Is he from Surrey or something?)? Why don't they try out Read instead?
For this game it's because he was part of the original squad and Read wasn't.

Don't expect that in the Summer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
It seems they have the same idea about Dawson...in The Cricketer there was a bit about Nasser saying how impressed he was with Dawson during the tour...before the Test his FC Tour Bowling Average was 78...3 Wickets in 3 Games...:OWOW:O...or not as the case may be
Averages do not tell the whole story - he has bowled well despite the figures he's achieved.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Averages do not tell the whole story - he has bowled well despite the figures he's achieved.
Yes but Wickets matter. He's just never really threatened. I'm aggressively minded as a Cricketer but having to watch this guy serving up delivery after delivery for the Aussies to smash back! It would be ok if he kept it tight, but he hasn't even done that!

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This is his 6th Test, but he's only bowled in 6 Innings

He's got 10 wickets in those 6 innings - not great, but a reasonable start.

The 6 innings he's bowled in have been:

198-3
552-9
551-6

A total of 2517 runs for 48 wickets - an average of 52.4375 runs per wicket.

Since his current average is 56.4 - he's not that much worse than the other players he's bowled with is he?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering he's one of the main reasons that average is so high...:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
No, all the averages will be that high because of the number of runs conceded.
Did I ever say that any of the other bowlers had done anything of note? Caddick looks worse than useless and Harmison needs to start using that pace. Dawson is just another mediocre bowler in a poor bowling attack. Tudor has lost everything that ever made him a good bowler and Hoggard can't do much unless the ball swings. The only bowlers so far with credit are Jones and Giles who I had critisised recently due to not taking many Wickets in the summer. If there is a weakness with the Aussies then it's spin, but the spinner needs to be a good one.