• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why dont english enjoy oneday cricket?

dass

Banned
its way more exciting then test cricket and doesn't waste that much time like 5 days in test cricket. so why dont they enjoy

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They don't win often, it's hard to enjoy something when your team is losing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bit of an urban legend IMO, some just don't but they have a lot of cricket fans out there to make their minds up whichever way they like. Lately poor performances and things like the Flintoff incident have made it a little less popular but I'm sure it'll bounce back, I mean look at how many they're playing India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They don't win often, it's hard to enjoy something when your team is losing.
Even when we had a half-decent side (which still happened... occasionally... as late as 1999\2000) the one-day game was still mostly patronised and derided in this country. I mean, Tests > ODIs yeah; most of the, shall we say, educated fans of the game would say that. But most countries get the balance right better than we do, and that's very probably one of the reasons why we've had so few good one-day cricketers in the last 7 years (and certainly one of the reasons why we've not even picked some of them).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even when we had a half-decent side (which still happened... occasionally... as late as 1999\2000) the one-day game was still mostly patronised and derided in this country. I mean, Tests > ODIs yeah; most of the, shall we say, educated fans of the game would say that. But most countries get the balance right better than we do, and that's very probably one of the reasons why we've had so few good one-day cricketers in the last 7 years (and certainly one of the reasons why we've not even picked some of them).
I think there is definately an attitude problem. I'm all for the Test>ODI way of thinking and I agree with you, most countries seem to get the balance right (with the exception of New Zealand and England), who have opposing problems. It does filter down from the top, those stuffy officials have little regard for ODI cricket, because of the lack of tradition involved in that form of the game, and because it doesn't seem to be as popular with the people as Test cricket.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Why don't English enjoy one day cricket?"

Well like most people they don't like losing. If I am perfectly honest I don't like 20/20 cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Um, England is the only country that gets is balance right. I mean they've been involved in about 470 more ODI games than should be scheduled, but overall, if I had to pick one international schedule out of all the teams..it would undoubtedly be England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And we've had what to show for it...?

How much of real note have we done in Test cricket in the last 50 years?

One hell of a lot less than India, that's for sure.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And we've had what to show for it...?

How much of real note have we done in Test cricket in the last 50 years?

One hell of a lot less than India, that's for sure.
Haha what? England have been miles better in cricket for the vast majority of the past fifty years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonsense. England have been easily beatable at home on several occasions (lost 5 home series in a row in the 2nd half of the 1980s), India have been somewhere close to invincible at home for long, long periods.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To be fair, India have beaten Australia at home too, and drew with them away on last tour :)

In any case, England have played 140 series since 1957, and their record is:

67-27-51...winning 44%, and losing 36%. In away series, they have won 34% of their series away and lost 43%.

India have played 107 series (only :() since 1957 and their record is:

37-25-44...winning 35% and losing 41%. They have also lost 58% of their series away, while winning 20%.

Amazingly, the English away record is about as good as India overall record....