• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lance Cairns

nottypilgrim

Cricket Spectator
1st post so go easy!:laugh:

When Monty wafted that ball skywards tonight I suddenly thought about a test at Lords back in the early 80's v NZ when one of the English boys (Lamb possibly) hoyicked one up about 300 ft in the air and ten yards off the square. In ran big Lance to take the catch and boy did he **** it up! Not only did he spill a skier but he also went to throw the ball back and ended up chucking it about 3 or 4 yards behind himself.

I think the crowd finally stopped laughing about about 3.30 that afternoon!

Anyone else remember it, or even better, is it on youtube?

Swervy

International Captain
1st post so go easy!:laugh:

When Monty wafted that ball skywards tonight I suddenly thought about a test at Lords back in the early 80's v NZ when one of the English boys (Lamb possibly) hoyicked one up about 300 ft in the air and ten yards off the square. In ran big Lance to take the catch and boy did he **** it up! Not only did he spill a skier but he also went to throw the ball back and ended up chucking it about 3 or 4 yards behind himself.

I think the crowd finally stopped laughing about about 3.30 that afternoon!

Anyone else remember it, or even better, is it on youtube?
yes I remember it..have a feeling it was Gower he dropped , although I may be wrong.

Lance Cairns..a legend

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember him hitting Dennis Lillee for a one-handed six to square leg at no less a ground than the MCG, back when the fence was hte boundary. He used that Excalibur bat with no shoulders on it, iirc.

JBMAC

State Captain
Lance Cairns was without a doubt one of the finest Cricketers to play for New Zealand. A fierce competitor,good allrounder and along with Richard Hadlee would have to be the first players inducted into a Hall of Fame for NZ Cricket

Fiery

Banned
Cairns was a classic Boys Annual cricketer. Came in wielding a huge chunk of wood and would almost always put at least one ball into the next province during his short but sweet stays at the crease. A delight to watch, you would so look forward to him coming in to bat. Bowled off the wrong foot and swung it a mile at times, and would toil his guts out for his country. A childhood hero of mine and folk-hero to all cricket followers in his day. Great man.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PE teacher actually brought up Cairns as an example off somebody who wasn't 'natural' when he was playing, bowling off the wrong foot and hitting one-handed sixes etc. Fair gun, that's for sure.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Chris was on a different level though, certainly as a batsman, wouldn't you agree?
Chris was certainly, for me, the more technically accomplished and consistent cricketer, and achieved more over a longer period of time.

But Lance had that "cult hero" thing about him, which you can't put a statistic on.

Swervy

International Captain
Chris was certainly, for me, the more technically accomplished and consistent cricketer, and achieved more over a longer period of time.

But Lance had that "cult hero" thing about him, which you can't put a statistic on.
Lance seems to be the complete opposite to Chris. Chris had quite a nice bowling action, Lance's was like the butterfly stroke, really front on.

And I always thought Chris looked really good at the wicket batting, and Lance was a proper 'just mash the ball' fitter, and with his caveman like club of a bat, he was just like Fred Flintstone at Bedrock Quarry Sundat Picnic 20/20 knockabout (if they had one).

One of my fave players as a kid

And I do remember that dropped catch as being somewhat comical.

Was that the same game he took 7 in the innings?