• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen

What upsets you more

• Getting out to a poor shot

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Getting out to a poor umpiring decision.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What upsets you more : a. throwing your wicket away or b. Getting poor decision by umpire.

My personally, I really get mad at myself when I get out to a stupid shot and gant get over it for few days. Umpiring, I dont care, it just doesn't upset me much, but I have seen guys who throw tantrums if they get out to poor umpire decisions but okay if they get out to poor shots.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Getting out to a poor shot. I can blame myselft and it's my doing, so I'm angry with myself. With an umpiring decision, I can nearly always say, well I got dropped there, or I should have been run out there, and get over it.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Bad shot, if i get a bad decision (which i hardly ever do) i don't reallt feel much whereas if i play a poor shot (which i do a hell of a lot) the red mist falls and i throw all my gear in the corner and repeatedly punch the nearest door/wall till the adrenaline goes down and it starts hurting, then i go and sit down on the nearest bench and wonder how the **** i got out like i just did.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bad shot, if i get a bad decision (which i hardly ever do) i don't reallt feel much whereas if i play a poor shot (which i do a hell of a lot) the red mist falls and i throw all my gear in the corner and repeatedly punch the nearest door/wall till the adrenaline goes down and it starts hurting, then i go and sit down on the nearest bench and wonder how the **** i got out like i just did.
Paid the Umpire ?:dry:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Haha, nah, the level i'm at the umpire is always from your side, though this can work against you if the reason he's out there is because you ran him out 3 overs previously.

There was a case a few years ago in the 2nd team when one of out bowlers got 98 wickets in the season and a few members from the other sides complained as he always bowled at his the end his father was umpring at. You can imagine how annoyed you'd be if you got a dodgy LBW decision from the bowler's dad.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be perfectly honest, at the time (i.e. the next 10 minutes after going out) I'm probably more angry about a bad umpiring decision. It's probably a little bit of pettiness, and after going out - with the emotion of it - I often look for someone else to blame. I know it sounds bad, but I know that its really only something I do straight after I go out, and when I think about it properly I know that it was my fault (most of the time).

But come the end of the day, or even the hour, and I know what I'm more angry about - letting myself get out.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Getting out by a poor umpiring decision rankles more, especially if I feel the ump was intimidated or lacked the confidence in his decision.

Getting out to a poor shot can actually be a learning experience, since it provides a challenge on correcting it.

One you have control over....the other you dont

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be perfectly honest, at the time (i.e. the next 10 minutes after going out) I'm probably more angry about a bad umpiring decision. It's probably a little bit of pettiness, and after going out - with the emotion of it - I often look for someone else to blame. I know it sounds bad, but I know that its really only something I do straight after I go out, and when I think about it properly I know that it was my fault (most of the time).

But come the end of the day, or even the hour, and I know what I'm more angry about - letting myself get out.
Exactly, you're more annoyed at the time if you get a poor umpiring decision, but once you have time to reflect you become more frustrated with yourself and the way you get yourself out.

Fiery

Banned
I always get out to a poor shot so used to it now tbh. Even if it's a jaffer I still played a poor shot if I get out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Getting out to a poor shot. I can blame myselft and it's my doing, so I'm angry with myself. With an umpiring decision, I can nearly always say, well I got dropped there, or I should have been run out there, and get over it.
Absolutely.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Plus, with an umpiring desicion, I don't have to worry about my technique or skill level, because I wasn't actually out.

Mister Wright

At the level of cricket I play poor umpiring decisions come with the match fees (either by black & white officials or player umpires) so they're expected. What's also expected at the level of cricket I play is poor shots, so neither really concern me. My biggest concern is if I don't get good balls bowled to me at the nets, as it's the only time I'm guarnteed of having some decent time at the crease.

adharcric

International Coach
Plus, with an umpiring desicion, I don't have to worry about my technique or skill level, because I wasn't actually out.
Does it really matter? You're back in the dressing room.

Are you telling me that you don't feel bad when an umpire gives you out incorrectly and you just tell yourself that you're not actually out?

adharcric

International Coach
Umpiring disasters are more annoying personally because I always get a douche umpire giving me a shocker just as I've settled down and started to look good. Stupid shots feel terrible but I still know where to go from there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Are you telling me that you don't feel bad when an umpire gives you out incorrectly and you just tell yourself that you're not actually out?
Perhaps (and only perhaps - Sam's a sensible lad) not at the time, but upon reflection.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Haha what??

Of course I feel bad when I get given a bad umpiring desicion, who doesn't? I am just stating that I don't dwell on it, because it had nothing to do with me as a player and everything to do with the incompetence of another person.

Mister Wright

Reversing the situation a little, has anyone ever been wrapped on the pads and just known they're out? It happened to me once, and I pretty much walked. There was also another time, when I got hit on the back pad and thought for sure I was gone, but was given 'not out' much to my relief. Can't remember, but was probably out a few balls later anyway.

adharcric

International Coach
Reversing the situation a little, has anyone ever been wrapped on the pads and just known they're out? It happened to me once, and I pretty much walked. There was also another time, when I got hit on the back pad and thought for sure I was gone, but was given 'not out' much to my relief. Can't remember, but was probably out a few balls later anyway.
Happened to me in some stupid tennis ball tournament. I was convinced that I was plumb lbw twice in my first five minutes. Don't walk myself. Well, maybe I would if it was really obvious and I looked like an idiot.