Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Best three teams for each country ever...

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    What happened to my avatar?
    Posts
    1,251

    Best three teams for each country ever...

    After the boring world cup ruined my interest in cricket for a short period, the competitive series between England and India has rekindled it...

    BEST THREE TEAMS FOR EACH COUNTRY EVER!

    I'll start with Australia since it's the easiest...

    1. 1948 Invincibles
    Pretty easy really. Any team with Bradman has a chance to be the best team ever, but add the likes of Keith Miller, Ray Lindwall and Niel Harvey, who proved themselves greats without Bradman and who carried Australia after Bradman and the team gets stronger. Of course there are others like Morris, Hassett and Johnson. Freakish side.

    2. 1974/75-1975/76 Australia
    Growing up I'd heard things about Lillee and Thompson, but after seeing a documentary with them in it, I'd never realised how true it was. Because Younis and Akram were, statistically, the best bowling partnership ever I figured it was all hype about Lillee and Thompson. It's odd I should think that because I hate stats to no end. But of course Thompson hurt his shoulder after 1976 and was never the same. Their partnership was no hype... you'd see batsmen face Thompson and they'd react as if they couldn't see the ball. Tony Cozier said Thompson was the difference back then and I think he was right. It's all true, Thompson scared the living hell out of batsmen and Lillee got them out with his accuracy and skill. It was absolutely the cringiest thing I'd ever seen on a cricket field, seeing the injuries those Englishmen endured. I admire Colin Cowdrey to no ends.

    Truth be told, I don't think there was any cricket side in history who could do much against Lillee and Thompson... they're no hype. Add to this the best batsman of the 70s, Greg Chappell and you have a side that flogged an extremely strong West Indian side led by Clive Lloyd 5-1, and a side that flogged a very good English side 5-1. That was excellent competition they faced.

    Australia 1999-2000
    Steve Waugh's side that went 16 Tests undefeated. It'll always be a regret for someone like Steve Waugh that their streak wasn't just beaten, but that India pulled off the greatest modern day comeback to actually beat them in a series. That said, they were a very good side. McGrath was great, but underrated was Gillespie, who on his day, complemented McGrath quite nicely. Lee was pretty good when he first came onto the scene. Warne was a little hit and miss during those injury plagued days, but still a match winner. And then of course the dominance of their batting.


    Mighty England is next...

  2. #2
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    What happened to my avatar?
    Posts
    1,251
    Just thought I'd quickly jot down a few notes on why I put the 75 side over the 2000 side...

    - I rate Warne and McGrath incredibly highly as a duo... incredibly I rate Lillee and Thompson (at their peak only) as better. Of course if we're talking about entire careers and how much each duo contributed to Aussie cricket, then it's Warne/McGrath hands down. Remember, this is only peak.

    - Greg Chappell is forgotten when is comes to how prolific he was at making centuries. I have him over Ponting (in today's form), hands down. Ian Chappell is also underrated and his stats don't show how good a batsman he really was.

    - Rod Marsh was probably the best keeper ever. Although Gilchrist was the better all-rounder.

    -The competition they faced was much stronger. England and the West Indies were two fine sides back then. Meanwhile, Australia 2000 weren't really tested until India 2001, where they failed.

    Of course the 2000 side has many things over the '75 side...

    -Better depth in batting is the glaring one... Hayden, Langer, Ponting, both Waugh's, Gilchrist... that's impressive.

    I gotta stop there right now...

  3. #3
    State Captain Julian87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ashfield
    Posts
    1,908
    Iron gloves the best keeper ever. Thank god there was no Shane Warne when he was around tbh.

  4. #4
    International Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    5,648
    New Zealand:

    2007 Chappell-Hadlee side (Marginally better skills than the 1985 side)

    1985-86 Australian tour side

    1949 England tour side


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    New Zealand:

    2007 Chappell-Hadlee side (Marginally better skills than the 1985 side)

    1985-86 Australian tour side

    1949 England tour side
    No, no, no. NZ mid 80s were light-years ahead of todays side

  6. #6
    International Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    5,648
    Be interesting if you could do a player-by-player match up.

    I admit, Hadlee/Crowe above everyone else.

  7. #7
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    After the boring world cup ruined my interest in cricket for a short period, the competitive series between England and India has rekindled it...

    BEST THREE TEAMS FOR EACH COUNTRY EVER!

    I'll start with Australia since it's the easiest...

    1. 1948 Invincibles
    Pretty easy really. Any team with Bradman has a chance to be the best team ever, but add the likes of Keith Miller, Ray Lindwall and Niel Harvey, who proved themselves greats without Bradman and who carried Australia after Bradman and the team gets stronger. Of course there are others like Morris, Hassett and Johnson. Freakish side.

    2. 1974/75-1975/76 Australia
    Growing up I'd heard things about Lillee and Thompson, but after seeing a documentary with them in it, I'd never realised how true it was. Because Younis and Akram were, statistically, the best bowling partnership ever I figured it was all hype about Lillee and Thompson. It's odd I should think that because I hate stats to no end. But of course Thompson hurt his shoulder after 1976 and was never the same. Their partnership was no hype... you'd see batsmen face Thompson and they'd react as if they couldn't see the ball. Tony Cozier said Thompson was the difference back then and I think he was right. It's all true, Thompson scared the living hell out of batsmen and Lillee got them out with his accuracy and skill. It was absolutely the cringiest thing I'd ever seen on a cricket field, seeing the injuries those Englishmen endured. I admire Colin Cowdrey to no ends.

    Truth be told, I don't think there was any cricket side in history who could do much against Lillee and Thompson... they're no hype. Add to this the best batsman of the 70s, Greg Chappell and you have a side that flogged an extremely strong West Indian side led by Clive Lloyd 5-1, and a side that flogged a very good English side 5-1. That was excellent competition they faced.

    Australia 1999-2000
    Steve Waugh's side that went 16 Tests undefeated. It'll always be a regret for someone like Steve Waugh that their streak wasn't just beaten, but that India pulled off the greatest modern day comeback to actually beat them in a series. That said, they were a very good side. McGrath was great, but underrated was Gillespie, who on his day, complemented McGrath quite nicely. Lee was pretty good when he first came onto the scene. Warne was a little hit and miss during those injury plagued days, but still a match winner. And then of course the dominance of their batting.


    Mighty England is next...
    Not a bad effort, I would prefer you called it the best since WWII. I think if we go right back the teams of 1882, 1902 and 1921 should get a mention
    You know it makes sense.

  8. #8
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Be interesting if you could do a player-by-player match up.

    I admit, Hadlee/Crowe above everyone else.
    It's not the batting the current team are missing, it's Ewen Chatfield IMO. Someone reliable, can bowl alot of overs, if theres something in the pitch he finds it and he had a good injury record IIRC
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  9. #9
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424
    Yeah, the 1921 team was a pretty fair one by all accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Yeah, the 1921 team was a pretty fair one by all accounts.
    Indeed. And yet their captain Warwick Armstrong said that the 1902 side (of which he was also a member) "could take any 22 of my boys and give them a beating."
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  11. #11
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,646
    [QUOTE=Francis;1282242 ...

    - Rod Marsh was probably the best keeper ever. Although Gilchrist was the better all-rounder.

    ...[/QUOTE]

    Grout and Tallon and bert Oldfield were FAR superior glovemen than Gilchrist could ever dream of being.
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

  12. #12
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    - Rod Marsh was probably the best keeper ever. Although Gilchrist was the better all-rounder.
    That's the biggest wrap I've ever heard Rodney get. I'm not even sure my mum would call him the best keeper ever.

    That's not a misprint incidentally. My mum loves Rod Marsh.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Can't remember exact times but something like this i reckon:

    Code:
    2001: Jayasuriya (c), Attapattu, Sangakkara (wk), Jayawardene, Arnold, Tillakaratne, Samaraweera, Vaas, Zoysa, Bandaratilleke, Muralitharan
    
    1997: Mahanama, Jayasuriya, Gurusinha, De Silva, Ranatunga (c), Tillakaratne, Kaluwitharana (wk), Vaas, Dharamensena Wickramasinghe, Muralitharan
    
    2004: Jayasuriya, Attapattu (c), Sangakkara, M Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Dilshan, Kaluwitharana (wk), Chandana, Vaas, Malinga, Muralitharan
    2001 we played some average sides, but to win 9 in a row is something special and probably the best all round side we have ever had. Bandaratilleke played a lot of those matches and was pretty handy when he got a bowl.

    1997 was the start of it all for us and still probably one of the better side we have ever had. Bowling attack was pretty and average and that side might get over take by a few sides in the comming years

    2004 we played the Aussies a few times and did ok outside the last innings. We has some pretty impressive wins against South Africa and Pakistan. I don't think this side will hang around long as number 3 and the current side should take over once they drop Prassana and play a proper batsmen.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  14. #14
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,989
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Grout and Tallon and bert Oldfield were FAR superior glovemen than Gilchrist could ever dream of being.
    I reckon Evans was the best glovesman ever, from hearing what other people have written.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  15. #15
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I reckon Evans was the best glovesman ever, from hearing what other people have written.
    Was supposed to very good, Bradman thought Tallon a little better, but no doubt the hardest thing in cricket is to measure the glove work of WKs we never had the chance to watch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. West Indies Cricket......
    By roseboy64 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 27-04-2008, 09:25 PM
  2. The little teams thread.
    By cover drive man in forum Twenty20 World Cup
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 01:28 PM
  3. Which team's alltime XI is best?
    By Matt79 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 616
    Last Post: 29-08-2007, 06:44 AM
  4. Fm 2007
    By bugssy in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 02:41 AM
  5. National Teams
    By PhoenixFire in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •