• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matt Prior as a Gloveman

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some of the technical stuff early on in this thread is a good read; would be interested to see someone do the same for Wade though tbh I suspect the response would be "oh, ****it, he's just ****, okay?"
It is clear that Wade is a good bat, has issues against spin but many bats do around the world so not a reason to ditch him. The key is whether he will put in the hours and hours of practice with somebody to improve his glovework. If he doesn't he doesn't deserve to be picked. It may take a spell away from the national side to pay off longterm as it did with Prior but there is enough there with Wade to not ditch him forever yet.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Some of the technical stuff early on in this thread is a good read; would be interested to see someone do the same for Wade though tbh I suspect the response would be "oh, ****it, he's just ****, okay?"
I actually think Wade is better to the quicks than Prior was early in his career. Wade is legitimately comical up to the stumps though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Benchy made a good point ages back which in hindsight I really noticed at Sydney: he inspires no confidence taking returns from the field too. Forever diving and jumping about and generally looking aggrieved at being made to work so hard. Bad returns are bad returns, ofc, but I've never seen anyone make such a big deal out of taking them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Has Wade?

We weren't good enough back in the time when Prior was dropped for it to really matter.
Dropped Faf du Plessis just before tea at Adelaide. Regulation chance for a Test keeper. Draw your own conclusions.

EDIT: Also missed a regulation stumping of Smith in the same match when he hadn't made that many to a Clarke ball that didn't turn all that much. Went on to make a hundred.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I haven't had the chance to watch and analyse Wade's glove work too closely recently (have seen very little coverage of Aus v SA or in India) but the thing that sticks in my memory is the number he's dropped or clanged up to the stumps because he's not aligned/balanced; his weight goes onto his inside foot and his hands then have to go up and away from the body, which is a recipe for disaster when the ball turns/spits/gets nicked.

This clip is me keeping against a bowling machine. I do the same thing a number of times.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Most of it I tend to think is that he doesn't position his feet well, either to spin or pace. WRT spin, it leaves him a) off balance and b) unable to adjust in time to edges or balls out of the rough because his centre of gravity is moving nowhere near his hands. His keeping to pace is sort of an U-19s intuition as opposed to rigorous Test coaching - you may notice that Gilchrist (for example) when faced with a leg-side edge, instead of leaping to their left with their closest foot as the springboard (as you or I would instinctively do) they let their body fall away to the ground, even sweeping it in the opposite direction if it was a half chance and getting to ground as fast as possible was critical.

Wade is yet to come that far and he needs a severe keeping boot camp prior to the Ashes. However, him being a good batsman means he has the requisite hand-eye coordination and should be fine. Missed stumpings are a matter of taking his Ritalin.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Who works with the Aussie keepers?

Would have thought it in the interests of himself that Healy would offer to give some guidance. Be better to work with a guy and improve him than sit on side watching him make mistakes you may be able to help rectify.

Uppercut

Did Prior ever cost you Test series though?
"Costing the series" is too far but they would have had a fair shot at getting something out of Sri Lanka without his drops. Cost a hell of a lot of runs and a few chances to go at a vulnerable lower order while the ball was still swinging.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Did Prior ever cost you Test series though?
"Costing the series" is too far but they would have had a fair shot at getting something out of Sri Lanka without his drops. Cost a hell of a lot of runs and a few chances to go at a vulnerable lower order while the ball was still swinging.
Probably balanced it out with his batting in that one but yeah that was the one that came to mind for me upon reading Sparky Spark's post