• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Carl Hooper was an amazing ODI all rounder

dass

Banned
i was just going over his ODI stats at cricinfo and i saw he was such an amazing ODI all rounder. In most of his games he performed either scoring runs or taking wickets or many times doing both. My question is why didn't he become famous for his amazing ODI allround performances??? He was surely one of the best ODI players of the last 2 decades.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
i was just going over his ODI stats at cricinfo and i saw he was such an amazing ODI all rounder. In most of his games he performed either scoring runs or taking wickets or many times doing both. My question is why didn't he become famous for his amazing ODI allround performances??? He was surely one of the best ODI players of the last 2 decades.
1. The performance of the Windies team since 1996 or thereabouts
2. He was solid, not great
3. Brian Lara

It's pushing it saying that he was one of the greats of the last two dacades to be honest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because he underachieved in Tests for like his first 40-odd games, and even the likes of Michael Bevan (best ODI player in history) are still patronised for failing in Tests.

ODIs are just considered second-class by most people and rare is it for players who were extremely good there to be considered that highly - if they succeeded in Tests, they're better known for that, if they failed in Tests, they're oft known as only able to succeed in an inferior game.

dass

Banned
well maybe not in tests, but if u looks at his oneday record only he was for sure probably in the top 5 allrounders.

dass

Banned
Because he underachieved in Tests for like his first 40-odd games, and even the likes of Michael Bevan (best ODI player in history) are still patronised for failing in Tests.

ODIs are just considered second-class by most people and rare is it for players who were extremely good there to be considered that highly - if they succeeded in Tests, they're better known for that, if they failed in Tests, they're oft known as only able to succeed in an inferior game.
but look at Tendulker, he is more famous for his ODI record then tests.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Top 5 is probably pushing it again. Top 20 maybe.

In saying that, he was one of my favourite players (I started watching cricket when the Windies came to Austrlia 1996ish). I even modelled my first ever bowling action on him - the causal run up, the jiggle, the plant, the rock back, stop, deliver and he was probably more adhesive than anyone was for the Windies (ODI side) circa 2000.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
but look at Tendulker, he is more famous for his ODI record then tests.

Only through the eyes od Indians though.

Also, its not like Tendulkar was abysmal in either form of the game. What you are doing is complaining about an embarassment of riches.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Hooper represented Guyana at local first-class level, and played English county cricket for Kent and Lancashire. In 2003, Hooper became only the second player to have scored a century against all 18 county teams.[1]

Despite his lower than perhaps expected average, Hooper holds the accolade of being the only cricketer in the world to have scored 5000 runs, taken 100 wickets, 100 catches and received 100 caps in both ODIs and Tests.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hooper represented Guyana at local first-class level, and played English county cricket for Kent and Lancashire. In 2003, Hooper became only the second player to have scored a century against all 18 county teams.[1]

Despite his lower than perhaps expected average, Hooper holds the accolade of being the only cricketer in the world to have scored 5000 runs, taken 100 wickets, 100 catches and received 100 caps in both ODIs and Tests.
Haven’t checked but I would be surprised if Jacques Kallis hasn’t achieved that in both forms of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kallis did it a few games after that was last mentioned (about 4 months ago).

I imagine whatever profile Bowman got that from hasn't yet been updated.