• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2007

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is James Hildreth any good or has his average been inflated a whole heap by playing at Taunton? I think I may have heard his name being tossed around for England A tours and that sort of thing.
Have never been totally sure about him, TBH. Has gone up and down often even in a relatively short career. Some people have gone on a bit too much about him, though, IMO, which would explain your hearing his name tossed about in England A circles, it started even since his debut in 2003.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Somerset have beaten Leicestershire by an innings and 259 runs. Is James Hildreth any good or has his average been inflated a whole heap by playing at Taunton? I think I may have heard his name being tossed around for England A tours and that sort of thing.
He's a very talented batsman.

Am a tad disappointed we didn't finish off Leics within 2 days, but you can't have everything I spose :D

Apparently Caddy & Charl both finished with match figures of 6-102. It was also the first time ever that all top 4 Somerset batsmen scored centuries in the same innings.

Anna

Have never been totally sure about him, TBH. Has gone up and down often even in a relatively short career. Some people have gone on a bit too much about him, though, IMO, which would explain your hearing his name tossed about in England A circles, it started even since his debut in 2003.
Have you actually seen him play Richard? Admittedly last season wasn't his best, but it was only his second full season in the 1st team; Ian Bell had a dodgey 2nd full season in the Warks 1st team & look where he is now!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bell had a dodgy 2nd and 3rd full season, true (those were 2002 and 2003, he debuted in 1999) - but he's always been a sensible-looking batsman - Hildreth has often struck me as a crazed strokeplayer, if not quite as bad as Shahid Afridi or Craig McMillan.

And yes, I've seen him bat a fair few times, though obviously only in OD games.

Anna

A fair few times being twice? Three times maybe? I don't think you only seeing him in a few one-dayers qualifies you to comment on him in such a way. I watch nearly every Somerset home match - he is not a crazed stroke player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Being probably 8 or 9 times, TBH - and the speed of some of his innings where he has scored has combined to produce that impression.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Kent enjoying what is arguably their first decent spell of the game, with Hall and Jones taking the attack to Kruis and Rashid.

Anna

Being probably 8 or 9 times, TBH - and the speed of some of his innings where he has scored has combined to produce that impression.
He adapts to the length of match he's playing, ie aggressive, shot-playing in one-dayers; measured sensible batting in 4 days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heheh. I'll give him a 2nd chance. :) Not completely unheard of for people like that to get better.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I used to like Darren Gough.

Kent all out for 292. Couldn't even get the 3rd batting point. Pretty atrocious really.

Last edited:

Anna

A quote from the Times write-up of the 2nd day:

"Leicestershire might have drawn more life from a seven hour speech on maize farming than from this pitch" :laugh:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Essex need a couple of early wickets in their game just to get back on track.

stumpski

International Captain
I used to like Darren Gough.

Kent all out for 292. Couldn't even get the 3rd batting point. Pretty atrocious really.
I was there! My first time at Tunbridge Wells. Wasn't impressed with the view I had. There's no raised seating (expect for the members) so unless you get there early and get a front row seat you're struggling to watch between people's heads. A lot of spectators were just standing in front of the beer tent for a lot of the time.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I was there! My first time at Tunbridge Wells. Wasn't impressed with the view I had. There's no raised seating (expect for the members) so unless you get there early and get a front row seat you're struggling to watch between people's heads. A lot of spectators were just standing in front of the beer tent for a lot of the time.
I've only been there twice I think, but I have fond memories of the place, and never had any problems with a bad view. I've got pretty sunburnt there before though, if I remember rightly.

Disappointing to see the overnight pair fail to press on, same as yesterday, but with a long batting lineup and Kent only being 58 runs in arrears as I write, we should see it out for a draw. It is annoying how we tend to bat better in the second innings, and miss out on bonus points in the first.

Was there much in the pitch yesterday, or were Yorkshire just bowling good lines? I'm quite relieved that Gough isn't able to bowl today, he's been on top form so far this season.