• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards The Perfectionist - A Genius of His Generation - Imran Khan

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And temperament, basically, is a talent. You can't teach it.

People tend to have a somewhat narrow view of what talent is. C_C, in one of his better pieces of phrasemaking, once said "people tend to think of talents only as physical talent, and ignore the mental talent".

Rahul Dravid's ability to score runs is actually pretty much roughly equal to Richards', really, IMO, all things considered. But the two are totally different players, and to say that Richards was better just because he was more dominant is, to me, a fallacy.
If Dravid and Richards averaged the same, the dominant strike rate puts Richards much ahead. There are no two ways about it. The faster you score, the better. It's akin and as simple as saying: "the more runs you score the better". The main two virtues of batting, IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think he's saying that Richards had the ability to play more shots to more deliveries than Dravid so Richards naturaly scored at a higher rate.
Not disputing that of course. Laxman has more shots than Dravid (or at least plays them more), but that doesn't make him a better player.
Swervy said:
I mean most people who saw him play see how he played, they didnt see the indepth statistcal bells and whistles of it.
Again, that means he was better to watch, but in terms of being a better player, it is irrelevant how he looked. I'd rather watch Darren Ganga over Matthew Hayden, that means nothing when evaluating the quality.

open365

International Vice-Captain
If Dravid and Richards averaged the same, the dominant strike rate puts Richards much ahead. There are no two ways about it. The faster you score, the better. It's akin and as simple as saying: "the more runs you score the better".
Imo it can go deeper than that, say for instance Richards scored really quickly when it was nice and easy to bat, but when it got tough he got out early so as not to affect his SR.

Whereas a player like Dravid may have toughed it out in really difficult circumstances and helped his side more.

Swervy

International Captain
Imo it can go deeper than that, say for instance Richards scored really quickly when it was nice and easy to bat, but when it got tough he got out early so as not to affect his SR.
Which in fact tended to not be the case. Richards often looked quite bored when not challenged, and got out forcing the issue.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If Dravid and Richards averaged the same, the dominant strike rate puts Richards much ahead. There are no two ways about it. The faster you score, the better. It's akin and as simple as saying: "the more runs you score the better". The main two virtues of batting, IMO.
While undoubtedly true in ODIs, I don't think it necessarily is true in Tests. There are very specific circumstances in tests where scoring fast matters, but the vast majority of the time, it doesn't matter all that much as long as you go along at a respectable S/R (of 40+).

open365

International Vice-Captain
Not disputing that of course. Laxman has more shots than Dravid (or at least plays them more), but that doesn't make him a better player.

Again, that means he was better to watch, but in terms of being a better player, it is irrelevant how he looked. I'd rather watch Darren Ganga over Matthew Hayden, that means nothing when evaluating the quality.
I think there's a difference between being better and a players value to a side, in the way that everyone rates Trumper so highly despite him averaging less than other people.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Which in fact tended to not be the case. Richards often looked quite bored when not challenged, and got out forcing the issue.
But that's fine - in the end getting out when being bored and getting out because you're comprehensively beaten by the bowler - it is irrelevant.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think there's a difference between being better and a players value to a side, in the way that everyone rates Trumper so highly despite him averaging less than other people.
Unless you are scoring at a really low pace, the guy who will score more runs will be more valuable than the guy who scores less. Dravid isn't necessarily less valuable than Tendulkar, even if they average the same amount and one scores a lot faster than the other.

Swervy

International Captain
But that's fine - in the end getting out when being bored and getting out because you're comprehensively beaten by the bowler - it is irrelevant.
only when you look at the final score and then ultimatly averages. As this thread is alluding to, there is more to the game

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
only when you look at the final score and then ultimatly averages. As this thread is alluding to, there is more to the game
Over the long term, the final score is what makes a good player. It may not be what makes a good looking player, but then I am not arguing that.

Swervy

International Captain
Over the long term, the final score is what makes a good player. It may not be what makes a good looking player, but then I am not arguing that.

its not about what looks good, its about effect on opposition and the audience. Ultimately, it is they who make the final judgement.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
its not about what looks good, its about effect on opposition and the audience. Ultimately, it is they who make the final judgement.
Absolutely. IIRC wasn't it Thomson who said he felt like wearing a helmet when bowling to Viv ?
Its not just what you do individually. It's the effect you have on the oppostion and your teammates.

e.g. assume you're batting with a frighteningly fast bowler with bad intentions.
Who wud you want as your batting partner ? Dravid or Richards ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
richards used to take an attack by the scruff of its neck and dispatch it to all parts of the ground and beyond summarily...what it did was to intimidate the opposition bowlers, take away their confidence, basically take the game away from the fielding team, while he was at the crease and after a richards whirlwind, an attack usually took time to recover if at all and the rest of the batsmen also got to cash in...that's the kind of presence that a batsman like dravid(he usually needs a take-charge kind of batsman at one end while he grinds it out at the other), as exceptional as he is, lacks...that's the kind of effect on a match that stats don't show...

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
richards used to take an attack by the scruff of its neck and dispatch it to all parts of the ground and beyond summarily...what it did was to intimidate the opposition bowlers, take away their confidence, basically take the game away from the fielding team, while he was at the crease and after a richards whirlwind, an attack usually took time to recover if at all and the rest of the batsmen also got to cash in...that's the kind of presence that a batsman like dravid(he usually needs a take-charge kind of batsman at one end while he grinds it out at the other), as exceptional as he is, lacks...that's the kind of effect on a match that stats don't show...
Well said

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fair enough, and I understand the importance. Gilchrist is the fastest batsman in modern Test history (by all accounts he is almost/just as fast as Viv though they didn't measure SR back then), and Lara when on song is up there too, and while I appreciate the effect of innings such as his, and realize that they could demoralize bowlers, I would still take someone who scores appreciatively more, even if it is at a slower pace in my Test side.

Of course, in his prime he scored as much as anyone and did it very destructively too, so thats why I rate him as one of the best of all time (top ten). But my estimation of him would not go down (top ten easily, top five maybe) if he had scored much slower (or as swervy put it, in a different manner which leads to a lower S/R). Maybe yours would and that's fair enough, but I still maintain that runs scored is the primary focus, the method of scoring is a secondary criteria.

If you think he would still be second to Bradman if he scored a little differently, then I accept it as there is usually very little to separate #2 from #10 or so in an all time list. But my point earlier, and it is one which I still stand by, is that from my experience people rate him higher than they would primarily because he scored fast and thus had that aura, hence my terming him 'overrated'.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, and I understand the importance. Gilchrist is the fastest batsman in modern Test history (by all accounts he is almost/just as fast as Viv though they didn't measure SR back then), and Lara when on song is up there too, and while I appreciate the effect of innings such as his, and realize that they could demoralize bowlers, I would still take someone who scores appreciatively more, even if it is at a slower pace in my Test side.

Of course, in his prime he scored as much as anyone and did it very destructively too, so thats why I rate him as one of the best of all time (top ten). But my estimation of him would not go down (top ten easily, top five maybe) if he had scored much slower (or as swervy put it, in a different manner which leads to a lower S/R). Maybe yours would and that's fair enough, but I still maintain that runs scored is the primary focus, the method of scoring is a secondary criteria.

If you think he would still be second to Bradman if he scored a little differently, then I accept it as there is usually very little to separate #2 from #10 or so in an all time list. But my point earlier, and it is one which I still stand by, is that from my experience people rate him higher than they would primarily because he scored fast and thus had that aura, hence my terming him 'overrated'.
first of all lara's scoring pattern is quite dissimilar to richards', you cannot really compare the two on strike rate...and gilchrist's role in the lower middle order of the aussie lineup is very different from what was richards' role in the pivotal no: 4 position in the champion windies teams of the 80s...in any case, you cannot just compare two batsmen just on strike rate...with richards, it was a combination of his gum-chewing, arrogant, "i'm going to own you" attitude at the crease and that penchant to dominate and tear apart the bowling from the first ball he faced that made him unique...and as you said, just because he scored fast didn't mean that he fell early, he scored heavily and quickly and with excellent lineups around him throughout his career to complement magnificent bowling attacks and great fielding sides, it was no wonder that they made short work of most of their opponents...

as for being 2nd to bradman, i am not so sure on where i stand on that to be honest...i am of the opinion that there are a few players who can stake claim to that spot and viv is certainly one of them but i cannot discount the claims of sobers or chappell or hobbs and a handful of others that easily....