• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jack Iverson

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Can some guys who know about him tell me more about this player? Cricinfo's down the years tells this:

Australian "mystery spinner" Jack Iverson was born. By gripping the ball between his thumb and a bent middle finger, Iverson was able to launch the ball in springboard fashion at the unsuspecting batsman. He caused a sensation in his only Test series, taking 21 wickets in 1950-51, including 6 for 27 in the third Test at Sydney, to help Australia retain the Ashes. Although a formidable bowler for years afterwards, he never put himself forward for Test selection again.

Also, why, did he leave cricket? The player page tells this:

During the fourth Test at Adelaide he suffered an ankle injury when he trod on the ball. He played in only one game in each of the next two seasons and then gave up cricket altogether.

Was this the reason?

More information on the player and why he quit the game will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think he was very much a highly-strung type, possibly "fragile" type. Sort of like Trescothick, but even worse. Rather like David Bairstow. And I think he possibly might have comitted suicide too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He didn't take up cricket till a very late age, and found it very hard when players decided to just slog him, and hit him off his line.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Glad you made this thread, as soon as I read it I was thinking exactly the same thing. His average is brilliant! A type of spin that I've never even fathomed before too. If he did commit suicide that probably does explain why he has faded into obscurity somewhat, usually unusual players are made stars just because they break the 'norm'. To be honest I just want to try and spin the ball with my middle finger and thumb now...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wikipedia has a good page on him.

They say:

Family commitments and his job in managing a real estate agency resulted in him disappearing from the first class cricket scene in 1951. However, he again played for Australia in three unofficial "Tests" played by a 1953-54 Commonwealth team. He later became a commentator for ABC radio.[1]

In his early 50s Iverson developed atherosclerosis of the brain, which caused him to suffer from recurrant depression. He commited suicide with a gunshot wound to the chest aged 58.

Might try and buy Gideon Haigh's book on Iverson too.

His cricket archive page.

He played against India in an unofficial tour later and looking at the scorecards, didn't do badly at all against the likes of Merchant, Mankad among other names

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Can some guys who know about him tell me more about this player? Cricinfo's down the years tells this:

Australian "mystery spinner" Jack Iverson was born. By gripping the ball between his thumb and a bent middle finger, Iverson was able to launch the ball in springboard fashion at the unsuspecting batsman. He caused a sensation in his only Test series, taking 21 wickets in 1950-51, including 6 for 27 in the third Test at Sydney, to help Australia retain the Ashes. Although a formidable bowler for years afterwards, he never put himself forward for Test selection again.

Also, why, did he leave cricket? The player page tells this:

During the fourth Test at Adelaide he suffered an ankle injury when he trod on the ball. He played in only one game in each of the next two seasons and then gave up cricket altogether.

Was this the reason?

More information on the player and why he quit the game will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Iverson is an interesting one, and one of the great characters of Australian cricket in the early 50s. I'm going to talk off the top of my head here, and would be very interested to hear from some of our older brethren who actually saw him live.

Iverson's "mystery" spinners wreaked havoc on England in the 1950/51 series, and by all accounts he had virtually all the England batting line up in a great deal of trouble at various points in the series. His 21 wickets (at an excellent strike rate of about 52 IIRC) played a major role in Australia’s retention of the Ashes. He’d come almost out of the blue, though he had made a highly successful tour of NZ with an Australian A-equivalent team, and had a big season in the Sheffield Shield before that. He had a very idiosyncratic method, producing spin and bounce from a unique flick of the fingers as he delivered the ball.

Toward the end of the 1950/51 series, however, it seemed that his spell over the English batsmen was weakening slightly, and herein lay the first seeds of doubt surrounding him. There has, retrospectively, been quite a degree of fortune and luck attributed to his “overnight” success – I think it was Arthur Morris who suggested that his flick of the fingers landed the ball on what was, by coincidence, a dangerous and difficult-to-handle length on a 22 yard pitch. It wasn’t in any way deliberate, he contended, and that if a pitch had been say 20 or 24 yards in length he would not have been so successful.

Adopting this theory, in a Sheffield Shield match the following season Morris and Keith Miller batted out of their crease against him to break up his length and gave him an absolute mauling, Iverson being seemingly unable to adjust his length to adapt to the batsmen’s tactics, further strengthening the theory that his dangerous length resulted purely by happy coincidence rather than any particular bowling genius. He was also, by this stage, getting on quite a bit in cricketing years and perhaps also as a legacy of the injury he suffered in the 1950/51 series he seemed to lose the motivation to put himself through the grinder of top-level cricket any further.

He didn’t last long, but he definitely flashed across the cricket scene like a meteor for those couple of years. Happy to be corrected or expanded on by any CWers who know more about him, or have been bothered to do more research.

I hope that helped as a starter though mate. :)

archie mac

International Coach
Haigh's a hack. I bet there's nothing more interesting in that book than what I just wrote...

:ph34r:
A great book, one of the best bios ever written:)

He always carried a Table Tennis ball and would amuse people with it, being able to spin it and make it do all sorts of tricks. While in the army he played some cricket and tried spinning the ball in the same manner as the table tennis ball, this was a great success.

On returning to Aust he joined a cricket club and went straight to the top with this new action. Although he had played cricket at school (same class as Hassett) he was a very poor field and bat.

John Gleeson copied his action, but never quite performed as well as Iverson:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Shortly after getting through Gideon's expertly-crafted and immensely readable biography of Iverson, I happened upon The Temple Down the Road, by Brian Matthews. In it was the following two-page gem, and, with Iverson's tragic story still fresh in my mind, it touched me profoundly:

"Sometime in November 1962," Matthews relates, "I decided to upgrade my living arrangements from squalid to moderately conventional. I was a teacher at a Melbourne suburban high school so it wasn't easy to find time for looking at likely premises. I spent fruitless evenings and weekends touring an array of overpriced attics, damp, gothic basements and backyard sleep-outs redolent of lust-racked tomcats in St Kilda and environs — my chosen terrain.

"Not long after the visiting Poms under 'Lord' Ted Dexter amassed 7/633 at the MCG against an Australian XI but some days before Australia beat them by 70 runs in the First Test at the 'Gabba, I saw an advertisement for a flat in Balaclava. It sounded ideal, but required prompt, weekday action. I had the first part of the morning free of formal teaching so I decided to take a look.

"I was greeted at the front door of the flat by the agent, whom I instantly recognised. It was Jack Iverson. Taking up cricket at the age of thirty-one in 1946, Iverson had graduated from Brighton Thirds to Test cricket in four years. He was that archetypal figure — the 'mystery spinner', as intriguing and romantic as the unknown lad from the bush who turns up unannounced for a practice game and belts the cream of the bowling all over the park. In the 1950-51 series against England, Iverson took 21 wickets at 15.24, including 6/27 in the Sydney Test. Then he disappeared -- back into the no doubt somewhat anticlimactic territory of real estate.

"He was a big bloke, his bulk accentuated by a tweedy-looking sports jacket from the sleeves of which protruded those famous hands. I remember glancing at them: they were as huge as legend suggested. He was pleasant and welcoming. While we chatted -- a conversation in which, for my part, I tried to avoid wide-eyed, 'knowing' references to his cricket career (which as a matter of fact I knew intimately) with the same pathological intensity Basil Fawlty brought to not mentioning the war -- two more people arrived, a flinty-looking couple in their forties. Iverson then took us on a tour of the flat. It was perfect but, being new to respectable tenancy, I didn't know what was supposed to happen next. It was obvious the fortyish couple were equally pleased. Was I supposed to make a bid?

"With an amiable smile and a flicker of amusement behind his eyes, Iverson simply said that he would see us in at the city office in Collins Street. With a great show of nonchalance the three of us farewelled him and headed for our cars. Theirs was shiny and new. Mine was an FX Holden that ran on equal parts of oil and petrol and sounded like a tractor when it was not espousing long periods of Trappist-like silence. It seemed a strange way to manage the negotiations, but as far as I could see the flat would go to whoever arrived at the office first.

"Having a lot of luck in the running along narrow, congested High Street, I barrelled into St Kilda Junction, threaded its chaotic crisscross of traffic and settled into a roaring, blue smoky negotiation with St Kilda Road. This route in the reverse direction was one I knew well, because most Friday nights I played snooker and drank beer at the University Club, 100 Collins Street, before heading for home in the early hours. So it was not as if I felt apprehensive about swift passage through city traffic and Collins Street was familiar ground. I steered straight for the office, planning to work outwards from there for a parking spot but, as I approached, a car pulled out right in front of the door. I was upstairs to the first floor before you could say 'Howzat!' and greeting Jack Iverson across a reception counter (how did he get there so fast?).

"'I hope you didn't break the speed limit,' he said with a quizzical, irresistible version of that amused look. I reassured him, produced all the necessary credentials, wrote a cheque and we shook on it. My hand disappeared in his.

"On the stairs going down I met the couple coming up. She gave me a rancorous glance, and I had the impression that the husband was going to cop some flak for being such an unadventurous driver.

"Thinking about all this much later, I concluded that part of the explanation for the rather extraordinary modus operandi was that Iverson might have been bored witless by the job and was introducing some spice into it. As well, though, I think he took a bit of a shine to me. Being fair-haired and fair-skinned, I looked about sixteen (I was twenty-five), I was almost embarrassingly transparent and guileless and quite obviously ignorant of the whole rich world of real estate and its protocols. Whereas the competition -- the husband-and-wife team -- were stony-faced (patently not cricket lovers) and probably a little presumptuous about their chances against such callow opposition.

"That's what I like to think, anyway. But maybe I have continued to be haunted by his wan, ghostly smile, by the memory of shaking that 19.4 overs, eight maidens, 6/27 hand, and by the knowledge that, some years after our brief encounter Iverson walked out to the garage of his suburban home and shot himself..."

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Shortly after reading Gideon's expertly-crafted and immensely readable biography of Iverson, I happened upon The Temple Down the Road, by Brian Matthews. In it was the following two-page gem, and, with Iverson's tragic story still fresh in my mind, it touched me profoundly:

"Sometime in November 1962," Matthews relates, "I decided to upgrade my living arrangements from squalid to moderately conventional. I was a teacher at a Melbourne suburban high school so it wasn't easy to find time for looking at likely premises. I spent fruitless evenings and weekends touring an array of overpriced attics, damp, gothic basements and backyard sleep-outs redolent of lust-racked tomcats in St Kilda and environs — my chosen terrain.

"Not long after the visiting Poms under 'Lord' Ted Dexter amassed 7/633 at the MCG against an Australian XI but some days before Australia beat them by 70 runs in the First Test at the 'Gabba, I saw an advertisement for a flat in Balaclava. It sounded ideal, but required prompt, weekday action. I had the first part of the morning free of formal teaching so I decided to take a look.

"I was greeted at the front door of the flat by the agent, whom I instantly recognised. It was Jack Iverson. Taking up cricket at the age of thirty-one in 1946, Iverson had graduated from Brighton Thirds to Test cricket in four years. He was that archetypal figure — the 'mystery spinner', as intriguing and romantic as the unknown lad from the bush who turns up unannounced for a practice game and belts the cream of the bowling all over the park. In the 1950-51 series against England, Iverson took 21 wickets at 15.24, including 6/27 in the Sydney Test. Then he disappeared -- back into the no doubt somewhat anticlimactic territory of real estate.

"He was a big bloke, his bulk accentuated by a tweedy-looking sports jacket from the sleeves of which protruded those famous hands. I remember glancing at them: they were as huge as legend suggested. He was pleasant and welcoming. While we chatted -- a conversation in which, for my part, I tried to avoid wide-eyed, 'knowing' references to his cricket career (which as a matter of fact I knew intimately) with the same pathological intensity Basil Fawlty brought to not mentioning the war -- two more people arrived, a flinty-looking couple in their forties. Iverson then took us on a tour of the flat. It was perfect but, being new to respectable tenancy, I didn't know what was supposed to happen next. It was obvious the fortyish couple were equally pleased. Was I supposed to make a bid?

"With an amiable smile and a flicker of amusement behind his eyes, Iverson simply said that he would see us in at the city office in Collins Street. With a great show of nonchalance the three of us farewelled him and headed for our cars. Theirs was shiny and new. Mine was an FX Holden that ran on equal parts of oil and petrol and sounded like a tractor when it was not espousing long periods of Trappist-like silence. It seemed a strange way to manage the negotiations, but as far as I could see the flat would go to whoever arrived at the office first.

"Having a lot of luck in the running along narrow, congested High Street, I barrelled into St Kilda Junction, threaded its chaotic crisscross of traffic and settled into a roaring, blue smoky negotiation with St Kilda Road. This route in the reverse direction was one I knew well, because most Friday nights I played snooker and drank beer at the University Club, 100 Collins Street, before heading for home in the early hours. So it was not as if I felt apprehensive about swift passage through city traffic and Collins Street was familiar ground. I steered straight for the office, planning to work outwards from there for a parking spot but, as I approached, a car pulled out right in front of the door. I was upstairs to the first floor before you could say 'Howzat!' and greeting Jack Iverson across a reception counter (how did he get there so fast?).

"'I hope you didn't break the speed limit,' he said with a quizzical, irresistible version of that amused look. I reassured him, produced all the necessary credentials, wrote a cheque and we shook on it. My hand disappeared in his.

"On the stairs going down I met the couple coming up. She gave me a rancorous glance, and I had the impression that the husband was going to cop some flak for being such an unadventurous driver.

"Thinking about all this much later, I concluded that part of the explanation for the rather extraordinary modus operandi was that Iverson might have been bored witless by the job and was introducing some spice into it. As well, though, I think he took a bit of a shine to me. Being fair-haired and fair-skinned, I looked about sixteen (I was twenty-five), I was almost embarrassingly transparent and guileless and quite obviously ignorant of the whole rich world of real estate and its protocols. Whereas the competition -- the husband-and-wife team -- were stony-faced (patently not cricket lovers) and probably a little presumptuous about their chances against such callow opposition.

"That's what I like to think, anyway. But maybe I have continued to be haunted by his wan, ghostly smile, by the memory of shaking that 19.4 overs, eight maidens, 6/27 hand, and by the knowledge that, some years after our brief encounter Iverson walked out to the garage of his suburban home and shot himself..."

Was quite a good read, that book:)

archie mac

International Coach
Disagreed. Was one of the slowest moving books I've ever read. If I wasn't particularly interested in Iverson's story I'd have given up after 20 or so pages.
I read your comments once before, but I can't remember if anyone agreed with you? Except your mum:laugh:

So you did finish it?:)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I did. Must admit, I found it more interesting once he actually started playing cricket.

Edit: And no one agrees with me because you're all robots. :p

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Much like being on the CW staff, my level of enthusiasm drifts from one extreme to the other.

But yeah, back on topic. Jack Iverson was gun.