• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Country ODI Teams ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'll do India's:

Sachin Tendulkar
Saurav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Mohammad Azharuddin (assuming we ignore the match fixing :) )
Ajay Jadeja (same as Azhar above)
Kapil Dev
MS Dhoni (seriously, have India had a better ODI/keeper option than him ??)
Ravi Shastri
Manoj Prabhakar
Jav Srinath
Anil Kumble

Australia's

Gilly
Mark Waugh
Ponting
Deano
Steve Waugh
Bevan
Andy Symonds
Warne
McGrath
B Lee
Jason Gillespie

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll do India's:

Sachin Tendulkar
Saurav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Mohammad Azharuddin (assuming we ignore the match fixing :) )
Ajay Jadeja (same as Azhar above)
Kapil Dev
MS Dhoni (seriously, have India had a better ODI/keeper option than him ??)
Ravi Shastri
Manoj Prabhakar
Jav Srinath
Anil Kumble

Australia's

Gilly
Mark Waugh
Ponting
Deano
Steve Waugh
Bevan
Andy Symonds
Warne
McGrath
B Lee
Jason Gillespie
I want to see the look on Bing and Dizzy's faces when you tell them they're batting after McGrath...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I want to see the look on Bing and Dizzy's faces when you tell them they're batting after McGrath...

Yeah I didn't really bother too much about the batting order....just organized the players I wanted into batsmen and bowlers.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
New Zealand All Time ODI XI

1. N Astle
2. G Turner
3. R Twose
4. M Crowe*
5. C Cairns
6. C Harris
7. R Hadlee
8. A Parore+
9. D Vettori
10. S Bond
11. E Chatfield

2nd XI
1. B Edgar
2. L Vincent
3. S Fleming*
4. A Jones
5. S Styris
6. C McMillan
7. B McCullum+
8. D Hadlee
9. C Pringle
10. G Troup
11. G Allott

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I didn't really bother too much about the batting order....just organized the players I wanted into batsmen and bowlers.
Why didn't you bother? BTW I can't believe Jason Gillespie made your all time ODI. I haven't looked at his stats, but I tell there are heaps of guys in front of him. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In a 1990-2007 XI he'd certainly be right up there IMO.

McGrath would obviously be instant, Reiffel should be a shoe-in despite his occasional no-ball problems, Dale would be up there if you were willing to consider substance above style, but otherwise it'd be a good competition between Fleming, Gillespie, Lee and maybe even McDermott (though he didn't play all that much in time in question).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Dale didn't actually have such a good record. I would actually pick Bracken ahead of Gillespie in the ODIs. Fleming would be ahead for mine also.

McDermott was way ahead of Gillespie too and ofcourse Lillee from an earlier era.

Gillespie did nothing with the bat and was a liability in the field also.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dale didn't actually have such a good record. I would actually pick Bracken ahead of Gillespie in the ODIs. Fleming would be ahead for mine also.

McDermott was way ahead of Gillespie too and ofcourse Lillee from an earlier era.

Gillespie did nothing with the bat and was a liability in the field also.
Forgot about Bracken TBH and he might well be, but Fleming vs Gillespie isn't a foregone conclusion at all.

Can't say I ever noted Gillespie as a liablity in the field as such, either.

But Dale didn't actually have such a good record? :blink: He had an economy-rate of 3.68-an-over! Can't get much better than that, really.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Forgot about Bracken TBH and he might well be, but Fleming vs Gillespie isn't a foregone conclusion at all.

Can't say I ever noted Gillespie as a liablity in the field as such, either.
Yeah Flemo and Gillespie is quite close bowling wise, but I would go Fleming because of his ability to bowl at the depth. Gillespies ODI career was very stop start, and yeah he had a weak arm, didn't drop many catches but was fairly slow to the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England

Trescothick
Knight
Gooch
Pietersen
Fairbrother
Thorpe
Flintoff
Stewart
Botham
Gough
Underwood
Now I'm no fan of trying to blur 1971-1989, but I just have to pick this out: Stewart above Flintoff, SURELY? :blink::eek:

You is gone crazy?

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Now I'm no fan of trying to blur 1971-1989, but I just have to pick this out: Stewart above Flintoff? :blink::eek:

You is gone crazy, surely?
Maybe I'm missing something here. How did he pick Stewart above Flintoff?

EDIT: Never mind, you're saying Stewart should be above Flintoff. Right?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
England

Trescothick
Knight
Gooch
Pietersen
Fairbrother
Thorpe
Flintoff
Stewart
Botham
Gough
Underwood
You can't be serious!! :laugh:

Who's ya fifth bowler? Pietersen or a bit of Gooch? Your a bowler short, there is no way Stewart should be at 8..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah Flemo and Gillespie is quite close bowling wise, but I would go Fleming because of his ability to bowl at the depth. Gillespies ODI career was very stop start, and yeah he had a weak arm, didn't drop many catches but was fairly slow to the ball.
Gillespie's ODI career wasn't that stop-start for me, it took him a little while to get up to speed, but once he did he was quite some proposition (OK, that record's made to look a bit better by 9 games against substandard sides, who he cashed-in on mercilessly, but it's still damn good even when ODI-standard sides only are considered). He then had those horrible few games against England in 2005, and I'd imagine he's now played his last ODI. But still - his career was a pretty good one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe I'm missing something here. How did he pick Stewart above Flintoff?

EDIT: Never mind, you're saying Stewart should be above Flintoff. Right?
Yeap. Can't see how anyone could pick Flintoff above Stewart.

Wasn't the best piece of phraseology I've ever come-up with, though, no.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gillespie's ODI career wasn't that stop-start for me, it took him a little while to get up to speed, but once he did he was quite some proposition (OK, that record's made to look a bit better by 9 games against substandard sides, who he cashed-in on mercilessly, but it's still damn good even when ODI-standard sides only are considered). He then had those horrible few games against England in 2005, and I'd imagine he's now played his last ODI. But still - his career was a pretty good one.
Yeah, he had a good career, but the fact of the matter is, there are better bowlers for Australia to choose from. He was an absolutely rubbish death bowler - and while you can generally get away with that when selecting a team providing you have two bowlers who aren't, when two bowlers with similar records are compared, the one who can bowl in more different circumstances will win out. Lee, McGrath and warne are basically certainties, and I'd definitely take Bracken over Gillespie as well. There McDermott but, as you said, he didn't play much during the era you were discussing, but there's still Fleming whose ability to bowl at the death would come in handy.

Whilst I definitely think Gillespie was an under-appreciated test bowler who will probably be forgotten somewhat due to playing alongside McGrath and Warne for a lot of his career, I think the opposite is true with his ODI career. I was never totally confident with him in ODIs, and the I think the brilliance of other bowlers around him, which not only flattered his figures but allowed him to bowl in set situations which he enjoyed, made his record look a touch better than it really was.

You could possibly say the same for Bracken, I suppose, and I'd probably agree to some extent, but I still believe he's a better ODI bowler than the Gillespies of the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess I'm not particularly arguing that he should be in an eclectic side, just that he's a better bowler than NUFAN appeared to be giving him credit for. I fully agree that he was a liability as a death-bowler (and the same applies to Bracken and Dale) but he simply shouldn't ever have bowled there IMO, it was pretty obvious that he wasn't suited to it.

If I was going for 4 seamers (assuming Warne as a spinner) I'd have McGrath, Fleming, Lee (inevitably) and Bracken\Dale, with McGrath and Bracken\Dale as starters and middlers, and Fleming and Lee as death-bowlers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh yeah it was pretty good definately, but not good enough to be close to the best ODI team. He'd struggle to make the 3rd team IMO. The fact that he only took part in 4 World Cup matches is another thing going against him, especially when players like Fleming and Bracken were key players in World Cup Final wins..