• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Country ODI Teams ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DWTA. You could never convince me Gayle > Greenidge or Haynes. You may be too young to have seen them play. Gayle not in the same league as them imo
That's why it's so crazy to blur eras. Gayle's record is better than Greenidge's and Haynes', there's no two ways about that. But is he a better player? I think it'd take extreme silliness to suggest so.

So you play Gayle in the team he can fit in, and Greenidge and Haynes in the one they can.

JBMAC

State Captain
Australian ODI

A.Gilchrist[keeper]
M.Waugh
R.Ponting[v.c.]
D.Jones
S.Waugh[capt.]
M.Bevan
A.Symonds
S.Warne
B.Lee
D.Lillee
G.McGrath
G.Chappell[12th man]

Days of Grace

International Captain
New Zealand all-time ODI Eleven

1. Turner
2. Astle
3. Fleming (c)
4. Crowe
5. Twose
6. Styris
7. Hadlee
8. Smith (wk)
9. Vettori
10. Bond
11. Chatfield

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, they have. But if this is a team for all eras, then Gayle would be ahead. He is a handy bowler as well.

Unlike my test ratings, which factor in the change in pitch conditions, I have no weighting for ODI players depending on eras. It's just the style of cricket that has changed, not really the conditions (although some could argue that boundaries have become shorter, etc.).

I once tried to factor in a percentage difference for players before 1990, but whilst it meant that Haynes and Greenidge rose in the batting ratings, Garner lost his no.1 bowling rating. You can't have it both ways, it seems.
Well, I'd definitely argue that pitches have become flatter to encourage this style, and I'd also argue that bowling standards have dropped in recent times... but even that aside, the difference in style which you mentioned must be taken into account, too.

The likes of Greenidge and Haynes may have lower strike rates - and it may not even be due to the conditions - but even if it is due to an overall style change, that must be taken into account IMO. What was considered a good strike back in 1987 is different to what is considered a good one now - and that isn't because batsmen are better now - it is because they are aiming for different things.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australian ODI

A.Gilchrist[keeper]
M.Waugh
R.Ponting[v.c.]
D.Jones
S.Waugh[capt.]
M.Bevan
A.Symonds
S.Warne
B.Lee
D.Lillee
G.McGrath
G.Chappell[12th man]
Thought you didn't tolerate any cricket other than the original long-form stuff?

Beleg

International Regular
Anwar
Sohail
Zaheer
Inzy
Miandad
Imran
Moin
Wasim
Saqlain
Waqar
Shoaib

IMO, that's the best ODI bowling line-up ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who's the fifth?

IMO the best ODI bowling line-up ever was probably Roberts, Holding, Garner, Croft, Clarke.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Don't you think Cairns had an expensive E/R in ODIs?
4.83 rpo - meaning if he bowled all 50 overs he'd go for 242 runs, which isn't absolutely terrible. I would pick him ahead of Twose or possibly Chatfield actually.

Chris Harris would have to be fairly close to making the side, he'd make a 16 man squad easily IMO.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
4.83 rpo - meaning if he bowled all 50 overs he'd go for 242 runs, which isn't absolutely terrible. I would pick him ahead of Twose or possibly Chatfield actually.

Chris Harris would have to be fairly close to making the side, he'd make a 16 man squad easily IMO.
Nah, Twose is a certainty IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah, Twose is a certainty IMO.
Yeah I changed my player mid post. Get rid of Chatfield.

Hadlee and Bond can take the new ball.

Cairns, Vettori, Styris and Astle is enough bowling, seeing as the batting lineup is strong.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I changed my player mid post. Get rid of Chatfield.

Hadlee and Bond can take the new ball.

Cairns, Vettori, Styris and Astle is enough bowling, seeing as the batting lineup is strong.
Bond and Hadlee opening the bowling would be a fearsome proposition, but the bowling remains too weak really. Cairns can be quite effective and Vettori is a proven spinner, but Styris and Astle would be destroyed by the likes of Richards, Bevan, Tendulkar etc.